SW Frozen Meals - Beef in Red Onion Gravy with Veg Crush

lt52

Silver Member
Ok so this is the final one i want to try from the range - the only one i don't want to is the Salmon one.

For me, this one was a little strange - on paper i shouldn't like it but in reality it was a little different.

The Veg crush had a weird taste to it so it was good to have a lot of the nice gravy with it to help eat that. The beef was nice but a little bland.... i guess i might be reading too much into a frozen meal and wanting it to be really tasty lol.

Anyone else tried this?

Lee

DSC_0001.jpg DSC_0002.JPG

havent tried it but have heard good reports about it

It's never in my Iceland,it's one of the ones that keeps selling out quickly

Yeah my local iceland for the last two times i've been in has only had a few bags of sausages - that's it!!! It is naff and why its taken me a month to try 7 meals!!

What baffles me about that one is the syn-free "proper-looking" gravy. How do they do that??? I would however be put off by the balsamic vinegar element, I wonder if that's the funny taste you mention - although you did say the gravy was nice. Is there a recipe on the pack for the gravy you could share please?

What baffles me about that one is the syn-free "proper-looking" gravy. How do they do that??? I would however be put off by the balsamic vinegar element, I wonder if that's the funny taste you mention - although you did say the gravy was nice. Is there a recipe on the pack for the gravy you could share please?

You bring a very valid point there.... i shall investigate and get back to you.....

Ok took a pic of the back recipe. Looks like the 'gravy' is legit, its basically just beef stock mix with puréed onion or something.... i'm not that technical lol

What do you think swansong1a?

Lee

DSC_0002 (2).jpg

Thanks Lee, yes it does look just like it's thickened with the onion, I need to try making that one again (failed last time somehow). I'd definitely leave out the balsamic though! I can't imagine what the strange taste was in the mash, unless it was the thyme - swede does have a distinctive earthy flavour but I'm assuming you've had that before?

Thanks Lee, yes it does look just like it's thickened with the onion, I need to try making that one again (failed last time somehow). I'd definitely leave out the balsamic though! I can't imagine what the strange taste was in the mash, unless it was the thyme - swede does have a distinctive earthy flavour but I'm assuming you've had that before?

Could be, i don't know - i was just unimpressed overall.... i reckon even i might be able to do something better in the slow cooker

Slow cookers are amazing (I cook all my joints of meat in mine with just a drop of water and a spritz of Frylight) - I suppose you'd still have to blend your own gravy and mash your own vegetables though! I think that meal might be nicer with ordinary mashed spuds and some swede and carrot chunks chucked into the gravy with the beef. And maybe some pearl barley...

Slow cookers are amazing (I cook all my joints of meat in mine with just a drop of water and a spritz of Frylight) - I suppose you'd still have to blend your own gravy and mash your own vegetables though! I think that meal might be nicer with ordinary mashed spuds and some swede and carrot chunks chucked into the gravy with the beef. And maybe some pearl barley...

Yeah this all sounds lovely... i would like to point out i can still mess up a slow cooker meal..... a little too easily too lol

Yeah this all sounds lovely... i would like to point out i can still mess up a slow cooker meal..... a little too easily too lol

You know what, not meaning to sound sexist but I'm actually really impressed that you're even trying all these cookery-related things - my other half wouldn't even know what a muffin tin or a slow cooker looks like, let alone what to do with them!

Be proud of yourself and keep going with the experiments, remember practice makes perfect - or at least vastly improved!

Thank you lovey, I do try it just tends not to work lol

Back