Extra Easy SW on a budget

skinnyminnie.x

Hey :)

I've been doing SW for a while now but can find it quite pricey.

Does anyone have any low cost recipes or the syn values for cheaper food?

Thanks x

When shopping but the cheap options like tescos own brand tinned tomatoes, Aldi's passatta, check morrisons for theyre fruit and veg at £1. Tesco are doing extra lean mince 2 for £7 I use 1 and 1/2 packs which makes a huge portion of spag Bol and freeze the rest, with the left over mince I'll make some burgers and freeze them too. It is expensive If your buying brand names all the time which I did at the begining but I don't taste any difference x

Try buying frozen veggies and some fruits like frozen berries are good for adding to cereals and yogurt for the superfree.
One of my favourite cheap meals is baked bean lasagne (if you do a search in the recipe sub forum there's lots of variations of it), you can make it different each time by just using whatever veg you have to bulk it out. Beans and tinned tomatoes you can get for pennies if you buy the value ranges and once mixed in and seasoned with things they are just as good.
We also buy frozen chicken breasts in bulk then just get one out to defrost in the morning when we need it they evening, again they aren't the best quality but taste fine! We spend around £25- 30 a week on essentials then once a month stock up the meat, cupboard staples like pasta, rice etc and always have a range of herbs and spices in. It's so easy on sw to throw together a quick cheap and tasty meal with basic ingredients. Hope this helps a bit! X

Always get smart price basics. We eat spag bol quite often and always have a carton of passata in I think its like 20 something pence a carton!! And their tinned tomatoes, packets of pasta tubes and packets of long spaghetti. Also buy smart price mushrooms as we love mushrooms they're quite cheap for a big punnet.

There's a thread on here called 'where are the bargains' in the off topic section and we post offers from supermarkets as we find them!

Aldi do a 'super six' - six different fruit and/or veg for 39p/69p which changes every fortnight. It's also good for tinned veg and other staples.

My advice is:

Buy frozen veg/fruit - just as nutritious and fresh. Normally cheaper.
Buy fresh fruit from market if you have one....way cheaper
If you have a garden get growing lettuce and cucumbers! Helps so much
Tesco do cheap pasta'n'sauce and savoury rice. You can add extra veg in these and make a decent meal.
Tesco do meat 3 packs for £10. Divide the meat up into portions and freeze them.
Buy in bulk when there are offers on.
Make bulk meals and freeze into portions. I replaced mince with quorn mince, cheaper but I know a lot of people hate the taste.

Oh forgot to add do some green days, pasta/rice and potatoes free and meat free stuff cheaper than meat! :)

If you still wanna do extra easy, then do some swaps like mince for meat free mince I like it better and extra lean mince can be on the expensive side.

I'm on a budget and as Rochelle says do green days. I'm a massive carb fiend so it's better for me. I eat mainly veg, pasta and potatoes. Also lots of fruit and whatever free yoghurts are on offer I usually buy. I buy my packet pasta (pasta in sauce, mugshots etc.) from places like home bargains and B&M as they are less than half the price of supermarkets.

*Sparkles* said:
Def buy frozen veg!

I also buy frozen chicken from Iceland, it's already chopped up so I can just take out a handful and add it to what I'm making!

Is it precooked chicken then? I can never find precooked frozen so have to defrost then cook from chilled first. Would be so much quicker to be able to just add it frozen!

sareypoop said:
I'm on a budget and as Rochelle says do green days. I'm a massive carb fiend so it's better for me. I eat mainly veg, pasta and potatoes. Also lots of fruit and whatever free yoghurts are on offer I usually buy. I buy my packet pasta (pasta in sauce, mugshots etc.) from places like home bargains and B&M as they are less than half the price of supermarkets.

Just a caution with the mug shots from b&m's... I was told the other week that they're actually making a cheaper version to supply them with than the supermarkets... Think they have different coloured writing on or something, and they're not syn free...

And my advice would be soup :) I made a batch up tonight for lunch at work over the next couple of days and it cost me about a quid with a packet of reduced beg, stock cube and seasoning xx

Wow :) thank you for all your responses!! I shall bear them all in mind when shopping :))

Shell2412 said:
Just a caution with the mug shots from b&m's... I was told the other week that they're actually making a cheaper version to supply them with than the supermarkets... Think they have different coloured writing on or something, and they're not syn free...

And my advice would be soup :) I made a batch up tonight for lunch at work over the next couple of days and it cost me about a quid with a packet of reduced beg, stock cube and seasoning xx

Packets are the same and ingredients the same so I assume they are free!

ScarlettStar86 said:
Is it precooked chicken then? I can never find precooked frozen so have to defrost then cook from chilled first. Would be so much quicker to be able to just add it frozen!

Aldi and iceland sell it as well x

I got the Same Information at Group last Wednesday with a Letter from Head Office to the Consultants. Places like B&M want the Mugshots in Huge Demand to Sell, the Makers of Mugshots cant keep up with the Demand at the Prices that B&M are willing to pay so they are making a version diffrent to the Mugshots you would buy in places like Tesco etc. The Ingredients are more Cost Effective to sell to B&M and such places, even the Packaging is Totally different..i used to think they were just selling the older stock. I'm unsure how these change Syn Values as i didnt take note as its something i vary rarely buy so i would check with any Group Consultants for the information :)

One way I have found on cutting back is to plan your meals for the week before you go shopping. I try to have meals that have the same ingredients so that it brings the cost down. Also with things like whole chickens its possible to get a few meals out of them, for example a roast dinner, chicken salad for lunch and a chicken and mushroom risotto. Good luck with budgeting!

SWLizzy said:
One way I have found on cutting back is to plan your meals for the week before you go shopping. I try to have meals that have the same ingredients so that it brings the cost down. Also with things like whole chickens its possible to get a few meals out of them, for example a roast dinner, chicken salad for lunch and a chicken and mushroom risotto. Good luck with budgeting!

Ooh yeah fab advice x

Back