SW online: worth the money?

brain_opera

Hello!

I would like to do SW from home, as I'm a student nurse working shifts and meetings are very impractical from me.

I have a folder of stuff from eBay which explains the plan but I find it quite bewildering. Is it worth signing up online? I've heard not-great things about the online version of the diet. It's a lot of money to me but is it more useful than doing it on my own from my information?

I want to get to near first goal by the end of August, if that's possible? I exercise as well with swimming and walking.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm finding it very confusing, though. I'm not sure whether to alternate red and green days or what to have for breakfast on red days. I think I need to sit down and make some menus!

I want to lose at least a stone by August, do you think it's doable? I'm getting married so want to look good in my dress!

It's definitely doable it just takes dedication. I imagine it will be slower though if you don't have a lot to lose. Unfortunately I can't help you at all with red and have limited understanding of green but there are loads of 'experts' on here who I'm sure if they see this thread will help :) Good luck!

If it is only that you work shifts that puts you off joining a group then I would say go on the website and find the details of a consultant at a group you can attend and talk to them about the practicality of joining when you work shifts.
The price difference isn't that much between joining online and becoming a group member (with all the online access plus the benefits of group/consultant) if you join before the 26th of this month then it is £9.95 (£5 joining fee and £4.95 for the weekly fee) on your fist night the £4.95 a week after that, so 13weeks is £69.35 whereas the basic online package is £60 for 3 months. You should be able to book some holidays in the group package to bring it down to around the same as online. I would say if you can make it to a meeting then do even if you only go for the first week as you will get up todate books and it explained by the consultant.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

What Alsmum said! Also, it might be worth your while just going along to one group, so that you get the current books and you get the plan fully explained to you. I think you get more leeway for missing group if you're a shiftworker, so it doesn't have to be a no-no.

I think online works, depending on what you want to get out of it. I did it for a long time, and I liked 'officially' belonging to SW, even though I didn't go to group - for me, it was worth the money just for that, as that was one of the things that kept me on track. Also, it was handy having the online shop, so I could buy new cookbooks etc. But the website itself isn't that great - poorly organised and a bit hard to use. There's no forum, so there's nothing that really pulls you back there, unless you want to check syns.

If it is only that you work shifts that puts you off joining a group then I would say go on the website and find the details of a consultant at a group you can attend and talk to them about the practicality of joining when you work shifts.
The price difference isn't that much between joining online and becoming a group member (with all the online access plus the benefits of group/consultant) if you join before the 26th of this month then it is £9.95 (£5 joining fee and £4.95 for the weekly fee) on your fist night the £4.95 a week after that, so 13weeks is £69.35 whereas the basic online package is £60 for 3 months. You should be able to book some holidays in the group package to bring it down to around the same as online. I would say if you can make it to a meeting then do even if you only go for the first week as you will get up todate books and it explained by the consultant.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I've looked at the groups near work and home and due to my shifts there is *none* I can get to (until July)- I have essays to do as well. Is there a way to just go to one group, get stuff and an explanation and not go again, and just pay for that group?

I previously went to a group, but have now come back to SW and am doing it online only. In the past, the website wasn't all that great, but I'm pleased to discover there's a lot more information etc on there now, compared to what it was like five or six years ago.

So I'd say try it online! There's an option to be able to buy the books as part of your subscription, which is helpful, and all the key pages can be downloaded as .pdf files from the SW website (which they couldn't in the past). I think this forum is a good alternative to going to group.

brain_opera said:
I've looked at the groups near work and home and due to my shifts there is *none* I can get to (until July)- I have essays to do as well. Is there a way to just go to one group, get stuff and an explanation and not go again, and just pay for that group?

Yes just go to one group your first one is the most important where the consultant will explain it all (which is I guess what you need), you will also get all the pack and everything you need and you can do it yourself from home. Good luck, I done it myself from home before I joined group!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Online is ok, it does give you all the necessary info, but to me its a waste of money yet i still pay for it for the extra motivation, knowing I am wasting my money if I don't stick to it. But it doesn't really tell you anything that isn't in the books, though there is recipes and stuff on there I find useful, as well as tracking my body magic and FIT log. Since your a starter, it might be useful to join even if you only sign up for the 3 months then don't renew it. i think it might help you get your head around what you need to do since you can't get to group.

Back