SW or WW....should I stay or should I go?

dizzydawnie

Silver Member
I have to admit to being very disappointed with my weight loss for the last 2 weigh ins, my diaries indicate that I am keeping within daily syns every day, I don't exercise other than walk all day at work and walk the dog!! But my intention is once I have got into the 13s to buy some trainers and pants, and join a gym to use the treadmill and bike 3 or 4 times a week.

However, I really am wondering whether SW is the right plan for me, last year I lost 19lbs with WW in less time than I have lost 9lbs on SW. The reason I changed when I put it all back on was I became too reliant on WW ready meals and worried about the level of Processed foods I was eating.

I really am in a quandry, feeling very depressed about my progress and don't know what to do......certainly don't want to just feel any lower and end up reaching for the chocolate and spoiling my slight progress to date.
:confused:

Anybody have any views please? :(

xx

Hello :)
I switched from SW to WW last week and today is my first weigh in so will let you know how I do. I have found it so enjoyable and easy this week! I am usually tempted by everything but I truly can't rate it highly enough :) I lost 9 pounds in 4 months on SW so I'm interested to see how I do.
I think its so flexible like with eating out etc. Or even if you fancy a bit of a chocolate binge! I have 35 dailies and 49 weeklies. I count the weeklies as my safety net - I cooked at the weekend and used a few then :) I made Apple crumble and Custard and Cheeseburger and chips both WW recipes and they were both delicious!

It's up to you what you choose to do but I'm just enjoying the fact that I don't need to restrict myself and that my shopping is cheaper :)
I used to love SW but had to stop due to health reasons and was worried about WW but its great!

Hope I helped!

Ruth
X

Also my food diary is on here so u can see what I have eaten if you like :) its called the Diary of a Determined Weight Watcher :)

Ruth
X

hi, i cant really comment...i tried ww but got bored of having to weigh everything and every morsel that passes my lips had to be counted - this was the old ww i was doing but do enjoy SW. To be fair i have only been doing it a few weeks but feel more relaxed and not as obsessed by counting everything x

hi there, i am with ww and do propoints which i love

was with sw up to the end of february this year and my portions were way out of control with all the free food, i could demolish a whole chicken with no problems! i was sts and not losing anything :(

come and give propoints a go, it works! xx

Last edited:
Hi Hun, whereabouts in Cheshire are you? I'm a former Cheshire lass, have now absconded over the border into North Wales.

As a former WW'er I can appreciate where you're coming from with having frustrations with SW. I also think the losses are smaller/slower, I think its probably best if you have a long hard think about what you feel the pros and cons are with each plan - make yourself a list and then make a decision from there.

TBH, I've got to a point now where I am following SW, but I am weighing my portions. I know some will say this goes against the whole idea of SW, but personallly after years of dieting I have no concept of recognising when I'm full or stopping when I'm hungry. It just does not happen! When I did WW I would generally have 60g dry of pasta/rice etc and 300g max raw potatoes. My meat generally came in at around 150g - 200g. So i stick to these portions when I have a meal. But, I don't count the points, so I don't have a limit on what I eat each day if that makes sense. I also still have my HE's and syns as well.

Try and get into the exercise now as well, that will help your losses too no doubt. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I think you need to go with whatever feels best to you. Personally SW is better for me, I feel less like I'm on a diet and obsess less about food, counting, weighing etc.
But if WW is what you prefer do that. We need to make weight loss as easy as possible for us, there is no point in doing something that you just hate!
Good luck with whatever you choose!

Im thinking of switching too. My friend has lent me her WW books and Im going to have a browse x

At the end of the day we are all here to lose weight, it doesn't matter how you do it as long as it works for you & fits into your lifestyle.

Generally the losses on SW do tend to be slower & it's not a quick fix.

I've only ever known SW & it works for me, no weighing (except hexs) syns for choc & wine & lots of lovely free food. For me SW will be my way of eating for the long term.

Hello :)
I switched from SW to WW last week and today is my first weigh in so will let you know how I do. I have found it so enjoyable and easy this week! I am usually tempted by everything but I truly can't rate it highly enough :) I lost 9 pounds in 4 months on SW so I'm interested to see how I do.
I think its so flexible like with eating out etc. Or even if you fancy a bit of a chocolate binge! I have 35 dailies and 49 weeklies. I count the weeklies as my safety net - I cooked at the weekend and used a few then :) I made Apple crumble and Custard and Cheeseburger and chips both WW recipes and they were both delicious!

It's up to you what you choose to do but I'm just enjoying the fact that I don't need to restrict myself and that my shopping is cheaper :)
I used to love SW but had to stop due to health reasons and was worried about WW but its great!

Hope I helped!

Ruth
X
thanks Ruth.
Good luck with your weigh in today - i will check in later to see how you got on - but fingers crossed that you will be pleased!! :)
How do your daily points get decided? I thought i had read somewhere that it was 29 for everybody per day plus the weekly 49. You have less to lose than I do so how would I work mine out if I decided to try to do it from home as opposed to class (shifts)

I'd love to know how your shopping is cheaper!! I think that is something we all crave!!:D Thank you, I will keep an eye on your diary if that is OK, new ideas are always welcome as I am fairly static in what I eat ( no imagination!! :D )

xx

hi there, i am with ww and do propoints which i love

was with sw up to the end of february this year and my portions were way out of control with all the free food, i could demolish a whole chicken with no problems! i was sts and not losing anything :(

come and give propoints a go, it works! xx

Good luck!! I am very tempted! :D

Hi Hun, whereabouts in Cheshire are you? I'm a former Cheshire lass, have now absconded over the border into North Wales.

As a former WW'er I can appreciate where you're coming from with having frustrations with SW. I also think the losses are smaller/slower, I think its probably best if you have a long hard think about what you feel the pros and cons are with each plan - make yourself a list and then make a decision from there.

Try and get into the exercise now as well, that will help your losses too no doubt. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you!! I am originally a Widnes girl, now in Hartford. But you know that old saying..... you can take the girl out of Widnes..... :D:D Where are you in Wales........beautiful country.

I think I will do exactly what you suggest. We go away for a week in a couple of weeks - I will continue with SW til then, buy a WW mag and take both and do some comparisons. Whichever has to fit in with shifts, and if I can get out of the habit of opting for the processed (and therefore easy) meals, WW does work for me, I know it does!!

I sound a wuzz but I have 2 ( not one but twoooooo in my best Ronnie Corbett voice) frozen shoulders and a slipped disc!! Therefore I really am keen to lose some weight before I risk stepping up the exercise and aggravating either.

Good luck and thank you again!! :D xx

I think you need to go with whatever feels best to you. Personally SW is better for me, I feel less like I'm on a diet and obsess less about food, counting, weighing etc.
But if WW is what you prefer do that. We need to make weight loss as easy as possible for us, there is no point in doing something that you just hate!

You are absolutely right Sazie - that is a very sensible approach to adopt, and it is easy to become so wound up in it thinking about what you will eat and when you will eat becomes an obsession!!
Good luck and thank you!!

Im thinking of switching too. My friend has lent me her WW books and Im going to have a browse x

Saskya, are you just bored with SW - is that why you are thinking of changing?? Your weight loss looks fabulous so SW obviously works with you!!

Well done and good luck x

I agree 100% with this. For me, SW is so much better than WW because it doesn't feel like a diet and I barely have to weigh anything. I tried the new ProPoints diet and you have to put four different figures into your calculator for every food to work out the points - it was so time-consuming that I found it incredibly demotivating. But since they key to weight loss is sticking to a diet (a healthy one, I mean!), rather than the actual diet itself, I think you have to go with one that suits you and your lifestyle.

Hi hun. I've done WW in the past but couldn't cope with all the counting and weighing and with the new pro points like u said there's even more things to plonk into the calculator. This is my first week on SW. I'm eating loads and hardly weighing - only things like cereal, coleslaw etc. I'm finding it brill. Got my first WI Tomoz. Will let u know how I do? You got to do what's right for you.

Hugs

XxJulesxX

Ooooh youve gone all posh from Widnes to Hartford. I actually work in Northwich!! Live in Deeside tho. Good luck with ur decision!!

I did the old WW and found that my losses were quicker than SW. However the counting and pointing everything was a real pain so I just couldn't stick to it long term. I've found SW much better now and am not obsessive or frustrated with it at all as I was with WW. It's really about what you can stick with in the long term and I find SW really easy and rewarding, it feels like eating 'normally' instead of dieting. As I say though, it's horses for courses as we're all different and what suits one may not suit another.

Back