SW syn free Crisps

bucksfizz

Im not sure if these have already been posted, but its a recipe i remembered from the last time i did SW.

Peel Potatoes, thinly slice into small crisp like pieces, i used a vegetable peeler, they were nearly transparent!

Spray a plate with fry light, then place the potato pieces onto the plate, spreading them out evenly.

Spray them woth fry light so they are all covered, then season if you want to.

They are nice plain, but i also used Salt and Balsamic vinegar.

Microwave for 5 minutes, then leave them for a minute or two when they are done to crisp up.

Enjoy....

Our consultant was talking about these last week - apparently they have realised these are not syn free...something similar to the reason that fruit made into a smoothie is not syn free, or a mashed banana is not free - it would be great if they were though!!

Mmmm sound yummy. Crisps were always my down fall and I'm craving them a bit now.
Thanks

Our consultant was talking about these last week - apparently they have realised these are not syn free...something similar to the reason that fruit made into a smoothie is not syn free, or a mashed banana is not free - it would be great if they were though!!

I have just been looking through the site, i think the crisps made from Lasagna pasta are syns, but the potato ones are free.

I hope so anyway!!

You can make crisps out of lasagne sheets? WOW!! I was looking through the site myself and i can't find anything about crisps...i'm probably not looking in the right place - lol! Consultant didn't mention a syn value for home made crisps

Just found this in another thread:

Originally Posted by Honeyoc

Are you changing the plan?

Members can be quite creative when it comes to finding “healthier” substitutes for their favourite meals and snacks, yet this can spell disaster for their weight loss!

Tweaking the plan changes the spirit of Food Optimising and could result in members adding lots more Syns to their day without even realising! This is how members could be changing the plan and getting it wrong…

Making snacks like “Slimming World Doritos” from lasagne sheets, quiche using pasta in sauce, and cake from couscous or chickpeas: Although the main ingredients for these recipes are a Free Food they have to be counted as Syns because they’re easy to overeat without realising. When these foods are used in their intended form they’re bulky and usually the main ingredient of a meal along with other satisfying Free or Superfree Foods. This is when you would gain the greatest satiety from these foods. In essence eating them in this ‘snack’ form encourages members to eat more calories without the satisfaction of a filling, healthy meal and this could be jeopardising their weight losses. It’s an effective way of adding a lot of extra calories in a non-bulky, non-satisfying way. To protect members’ weight loss we would always recommend when using these products in this way to count them as Syns

Ah that makes sense I guess. What a shame :(

I think I heard that 28g is 3.5 syns, but I am not sure about this. It something I would really like to try if this is true - they are healthier than normal crisps :)

The way I see it is, the crisps are such a hassle to make, I don't think many would overeat them. If you just want a little snack and you are craving crisps, you may be willing to go through the process. But, most people wouldn't stand in the kitchen for hours to make hoards of them so that they can eat loads. When it comes to the lasagna sheet ones, I totally agree that they should be synned because they are less labour intensive and easier to prepare.

But the crisps however, are harder to make and eat; and it is easier to walk to the fridge and choose a syn free muller light for a similar calorific value. So I for one, don't bother synning them when I have my rare crispy treat and it hasn't done any harm to my losses.

Ramble over lol

One of my fave ways to use potatoes, is slice them (Not as thin as crisps, but fairly thin) spray them with frylight, and sometimes use some paprika... then cook them at a really high temp in the oven until they're cooked and nice and crispy around the edges. I would have these around a plate with a mince stew on top, or instead of mash on a shepards pie.... simalier to SW chips, they're lush :)

go on ebay - you can buy a microwave crisp maker. The crisps are still hit and miss - but it's not a bad little gadget! get one for christmas

sounds yummy but i dont think i cud be bothered with the hassle lol

i made the lasagne ones the other week. It is hard work but well worth it for me. I had some and still lost weight at class. I find in moderation they are ok plus takes forever to do them so you would do a big batch.

Even made some for class in a bag.... Everyone loved them. I use salt on them but I then sprinkle some vinegar on after.

Members can be quite creative when it comes to finding “healthier” substitutes for their favourite meals and snacks, yet this can spell disaster for their weight loss!

Tweaking the plan changes the spirit of Food Optimising and could result in members adding lots more Syns to their day without even realising! This is how members could be changing the plan and getting it wrong…

Making snacks like “Slimming World Doritos” from lasagne sheets, quiche using pasta in sauce, and cake from couscous or chickpeas: Although the main ingredients for these recipes are a Free Food they have to be counted as Syns because they’re easy to overeat without realising. When these foods are used in their intended form they’re bulky and usually the main ingredient of a meal along with other satisfying Free or Superfree Foods. This is when you would gain the greatest satiety from these foods. In essence eating them in this ‘snack’ form encourages members to eat more calories without the satisfaction of a filling, healthy meal and this could be jeopardising their weight losses. It’s an effective way of adding a lot of extra calories in a non-bulky, non-satisfying way. To protect members’ weight loss we would always recommend when using these products in this way to count them as Syns

Thats really intersting i never actually thought about the quiche and pasta n sauce ... wont be doing that again !!!

I don't know whether this helps anyone else but I always try to remember that the principle of SW free foods is based on their calorie density. Free foods have a low calorie density. Imagine pasta: bulked out when boiled in water, you are full up after consuming a relatively small amount of calories. But that same pasta, baked into "crisps", has no moisture bulking it out, just the pure carbs, making it higher calorie density than pasta is supposed to be as a free food. This is also why cous cous and other free grains ground down into flour are not free - without the water they are supposed to be bulked out with, they have a very high calorie density and you can eat a lot more before you are full. Hope this helps! :)

That makes a lot of sense Culver, thanks! I was getting cranky thinking SW were stealing my crisps from me but I'd rather eat a carrot and see a loss than make those crisps and not lose a pound!

With regards to the pasta in sauce quiche..... I don't use the pasta in sauce for my quiche and I never eat it as a snack only as a meal with salad or poss a jacket pot.... Would I still need to syn that if all the ingredients are free?

Many thanks

Back