SW to help get/stay pregnant?

Camille~ thank you so much for your post, it really gives me hope that it isn't time to throw the towel in just yet. I have to ask, that pain, and the envy of those round you getting pg easy and wthout any hitches, does that ever go away, or is it just slightly less once you have your babies?

Camille~ thank you so much for your post, it really gives me hope that it isn't time to throw the towel in just yet. I have to ask, that pain, and the envy of those round you getting pg easy and wthout any hitches, does that ever go away, or is it just slightly less once you have your babies?

That's a tough one! I don't tend to ask about how long it took people to get PG really. I don't ask if it was planned, because party I don't think it's my business - especially as I hated people asking me that a lot, and partly because I don't want the answer to the question... so many people are lucky enough to get PG first month of trying I just didn't want to hear that! As for the actual announcements... I try not to judge. You don't always know other people's situations. Not everyone knows my whole story. I'm quite sure there are people out there who are maybe thinking how lucky I am to be so fertile to have two babies so close together. You don't really know what people have been through before. It is hard to hear that it's not you, and to want to be that person making the announcements. But I always felt happy for my friends and family, afterall it wasn't their babies I wanted. It was mine.

The pain never really goes away for the angels you've lost, time is a great healer but their memories will always be with you.

I have to say too, I don't think it's ever time to throw in the towel. Maybe time to take a break from TTC every now and again, but never time to give in completely.

I'm always here if you want to talk :) xxx

Me too, TTC for 2 1/2 years and finally have been diagnosed with endometriosis but cannot get surgical treatment till BMI is 30 so I have a fair way to go. It is soul destroying and affects me in so many ways. So happy I started SW last Oct and am feeling so much healthier and am 3 clothes sizes down - I need to keep at SW and hopefully get pregnant in the process. Good luck to all TTC.

I also have PCOS and I NEED to lose weigt. I am in a size 20 again :-( I did get down to a size 12-14.
I do drink a lot of coffee so I need to cut that down but I get bad headaches.
Good luck girls in getting pregnant x

Hi all
Lots of new messages on here since i was online last, sorry to hear all your stories of losses and hardship but atleast we are here doing something about our weight problems and are here helping and listening to each other!

So plenty of baby dust & good luck all round and lets hope we all share good news about good weightlosses and TWO BLUE LINES!

Bumping this as I've seen a few more mentions of ttc :)

Any word from those who were previously ttc in this thread? would love to know how you're getting on.

We tried ovarian drilling but to no avail. Now waiting on iui/ivf but bmi has to be below 30 so hoping SW will get me there :D

Me me me! I had a miscarriage a couple of years ago, and they found an ovarian cyst. Had to wait a year to get that removed and they found endometriosis on my bowel which resulted in 2nd operation. Weighed in at 17 stone pre-op, and since my op have joined sw and lost 2 stone.

Consultant has advised to get pregnant straight away as endo can come back and cause issues. No success 6 months on, but consultant was very impressed I had lost weight and thinks the more I lose, the better chance I'll have.

Wud love to keep track with everyone on here- have been going on pinkpad forum but the women on there r a little too obsessive for my liking- made me into a gibbering wreck, with talk of cm, bbt, mc, htp blah blah blah!

Good luck to you and anyone else who may be out there. We will get there- and sw will definitely help!!!

claireyboots~ sorry for your loss hon. Well done for losing the weight.

fern~ thanks for the positive thoughts :)

hey Crys,

Have you been given any reason for your infertility or is it an unexplained case?

I don't know if you have ever heard of Maca, but I recommend anyone with infertility problems to give it a go (both the male and female), I have seen so many people have success with it and the best part of all is it is a totally natural supplement.

More info here: Using Maca to Boost Your Fertility

For a lot of people fertility does return with weight loss and a healthy eating regime (sometimes it isn't quite as simple as losing weight, it can be the types of foods you are eating too, heavily processed stuff being a no no and for that reason Slimming World is a fab diet to recommend to anyone). But of course it depends on what the cause of the infertility is. Being overweight can affect your hormonal balance, and eating unhealthily i.e. lots of processed/fatty foods can cause lots of toxins etc in the body.

I really feel for you. It must be such a hard journey for you, 10 years is a long time and infertility is hard on anyone.

All I can say is Slimming World is fab, because it doesn't just help you lose weight, but it really does help retrain our brains to the way we look at food.

I am sure you will get there. Good luck!!

EDIT: Just seen you have PCOS, I would definately recommend trying Maca for anyone with PCOS. Also, have you ever been prescribed metformin?

So sorry to hear you have experienced 3 miscarriages too. Any loss is heartbreaking :(, did they do any investigations into the recurrent miscarriages? Like the karyotype testing and also looking to see if you might have Thrombophilia? Feel free to message me if you want to chat to somebody and that goes for anybody else on here too. I did a lot of research (read far too many books etc) when I experienced infertility myself and may be able to offer suggestions that you havent you looked at/tried.

Last edited:
I've had all the basic recurrent m/c tests, though they refused to do the chromosome/genetic stuff as everything else was fine, and pcos is such a common cause.
I've been on metformin for years, but it does no good, same with agnus castus and clomid.

Sending positive thoughts to all on this thread. I have been down this long and lonley road too. Everywhere you look someone is pg and you travel the infertility rollercoaster.

I have pcos too and it has plagued me. We eventually gave up on the fertility stuff and started on the adoption route. At the time it felt like failure and I began the process with a heavy heart and great sadness.

I have three of the most beautiful children by adoption and couldnt love them more if I had made them myself. When my youngest was put into my arms for the first time age one, it was if I was holding my own newborn from the start- She stared at me as if she knew.

Now I look back and shudder - If I had concieved I would have missed being a Mummy to these 3 beautiful souls.

All the girls from the fertility unit went on to have a family one way or another be it through ivf, adoption and one used a surrogate. It does resolve itself one way or another and your empty arms will be filled.

Much love to all of you x

Hi everyone so sorry to hear of peoples losses ;0(

I have been ttc for 22 months now and I started sw may 2010 as I knew the doc would just fob me off at 19&1/2 stone so now I'm into the 13 stone bracket and much healthier

I've had basic tests done by the hospital and they found I wasn't ovulating every month so I'm on my 2nd month of clomid treatment.
I know everyone says to stop thinking/worrying about it but I can't it's like telling me to stop breathing and to top it all off my 3 closest girlfriends are all pregnant!! 1 is 27 weeks. 1 is 26 weeks and the other is 24 weeks!! And I'm over the moon for THEM but I'm also sad for myself as I so want it to be me!!

Having said all that i am Also a big believer in everything happens for a reason/when the time is right, and if I had got pregnant 22 months ago I would never have lost weight as I wasn't unhappy but I am now much happier at 13 stone instead of 19 stone I have still got a little way to go but whatever happens I am now much healthier and happier now.

I am trying to be more relaxed about it all but it's very hard when it's all you seem to see around you is either pregnant ladies or beautiful babies xx anyway that's my moan over with. wishing everyone good luck for this month and happy ttc ;0) xx that's the fun bit!!!

Lucia~ we looked into adoption in january, but I just dont think I am ready to give up on treatment yet. Alot of the stuff re: disabilities/attachment issues, the fear of being turned down (dh has depression, which is controlled with meds, and is very on top of it) the risk of disrupted placements etc, it scares the hell out of me, and they on purposely bigged it up during our info night to scare off those who wouldn't be able to cope. DH desperately wants to pack treatment in and get going with adoption. Everything on hold at present because I cant do iui/ivf til bmi below 30.

pjplatts: you've done brill with your weightloss hon! How are you finding the clomid? It always made me crazy and weepy, I even cried on the shop floor at work one day :O

I think the emotional and moody bit was the worst for me, though I found taking them at night helped that. How many rounds are you allowed to do there?

6 and then go back if not successful and the doc said he would consider doing another 6 xx but fingers crossed we won't need it x

My boyfriend and I are hoping to start ttc at the end of this year/next year which is a major factor in my loosing weight - we are eager to start a family after five years together but I really want to be in the normal BMI range when we start ttc, I don't want to make pregnancy harder than it has to be plus its another motivational goal which is keeping me on track right now :)

I read through all the posts in this thread, all the best of luck to all of the ladies ttc xx

Back