Swapping Between Diets

kingleds

Gold Member
I've just been to the Doctors about something unrelated to weigh loss, but he always asks me about it so I told him quite proudly that I was on SW and that I had lost 1st 3 1/2lbs.

He has advised me that I should now move from SW to Rosemary Coneley, and then in 3 months do a low carb diet. He says staying on the same diet for more than 3 months is not a good idea because your body gets used to it and it stops working.

Is he just talking out of his hole or has anyone else been told this? If its true why is it that for years I ate badly and always put on weight. By this logic after a few months I should have stopped gaining cos my body was used it!

What utter b*****ks :D I did sw last year for a whole year and lost nearly 5 1/2 stone. Since xmas I have had a little difficulty staying on plan entirely my fault not sw.

Does your doctor work for Rosemary Conley.

What Sw is advocating is the closest plan to govt guidlines that I know of.

Personally I would ignore him.

You are doing great keep it up xx

Never heard anything like that before in my life! He should be congratulating you on your excellent success & encouraging you to keep at it! My sister is a dietition and whilst she doesn't actively advise people to join SW, it is one of the only diets they do recommend, hence why you can get it prescribed. I have tried RC diet & found it very difficult & restrictive personelly. Well done on your fantastic loss x

In some ways he is right - that after following a diet for a length of time your body does get used to it. Similar to an exercise routine - if you do the same routine for long enough it stops being a challenge.

But you don't have to change diets to keep the weight loss goig - all you have to do is make sure you have variety on SW! Variety in all things is key - different HEs, different foods, different menus - and is what keeps it interesting as well.

I have been doing SW for 1 year on the 12th April and Im 1lb away for losing 8.5st and you couldn't get me on any other plan if you paid me :p
Having tried just about every "diet" going -many several times, I know what its like to be constantly searching for "the one that will work" and whilst all CAN work, I think your loss says that you have found something that obviously works for you -so why would he suggest swapping over :confused:

I agree with circes that its a case of keeping things fresh, trying new recipes etc. I start every week as if its almost my 1st week -so I will flit from red to green to EE, I will have fish weeks, weeks where i try and eat all my syns (I usualy struggle) and so on - As of yet in that year I have not had any :-
bread
takeaways
chocloate -apart from fibre plus bars
crisps
sweets
pastries
and I really haven't missed any of them and I do believe its because Im constantly trying new recipes so I never eat my meal and find myself thinking *hmm I could eat something *nice*" as I enjoy everything I eat...
Keep up the great work and as they say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ;)

All I can add is 'if it ain't broke don't fix it';)

hi, i've never heard this advice from a doctor before!!! When i 1st started dieting, my own doctor is brillant for help, after a while told her i'd started doing sw, and, she said it was a great, healthy eating plan. :D

I think he/she is trying to be helpful - but perhaps doesnt know the full spectrum of SW plan.

What I mean is that you can do EE, Red or Green - so in effect you have a different diet plan every day if you want to!!!

:)

You have done so well - just keep on the plan you enjoy and know works!!! no need to leave us! xxxx

I have been on SW since July last year and apart from Xmas week I have lost continuously (3 holidays in that time too) I do however eat a variety of food where as other diets I have done have been very much more restricted and salad based but after a week of tuna/ham/cheese/egg salad I would get bored and wander off plan.

Thank you all for your comments. I am so glad there are people on here who have lost loads of weight following this plan. One day I will be one of you and will go to my doctor saying In your face!!

I take on board what you say about changing it up. I have just had a week of being 100% on plan and losing 1/2 a lb so I looked back at my food diary and realised that I had been using my HEX's on Bread and Milk instead of cereal and cheese last week. I'm not too bothered about the relatively small loss, because it is still a loss, but now I am trying All bran and Babybel lights instead of bread and milk. I will continue to change it up every time I go shopping I think.

I will also try a few Red days I think. Green days always make me feel ill so I avoid these, and I thin kRed days would be more compatible with my meat loving OH!

Unless you are eating exactly the same thing every single day, then you are not "staying on the same diet".

SW encourages us to vary the food we eat and to try new things.

Personally, I have never been convinced by the "gets used to it" argument anyway. It's like when they tell you to keep changing shampoos "because your hair gets used to it". With short hair like mine, by the time I have finished a bottle of shampoo I doubt if any of the hair on my head was there when I started it, so how could it get used to it!!

You know I was talking to my friend about this last night, she's been doing the Cambridge diet for 6months! All she has every day is 3 shakes! She's still losing weight, yes it's not an ideal thing to do compared with a healthy eating plan like SW but in six months and having the same "food" practically every day she is still having 5-6 loses every week! Good luck stick with it! X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

You know I was talking to my friend about this last night, she's been doing the Cambridge diet for 6months! All she has every day is 3 shakes! She's still losing weight, yes it's not an ideal thing to do compared with a healthy eating plan like SW but in six months and having the same "food" practically every day she is still having 5-6 loses every week! Good luck stick with it! X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Have to be honest - I can never imagine myself doing anything else to manage my weight other than SW - which si why the recomendation worried me so much. Finally found a eating plan that achieves results whilst still allowing me to have a life and suddenly I'm being told by someone who should know better to do Rosemary Coneley!!! I tried Rosemary Coneley years ago and any diet where you can eat sugar puffs but not Alpen is ridiculous to me. Plus the woman running the class was horrible.

Back