Swede's coming out of my ears!!!!

becciharland

As we live on red days our "potato" on our plates is normally mashed swede and carrot....... I went to the freezer lastnight to find it had all gone (OH not telling me he had taken out the last one grrrr) so we had to go without yesterday :(

I popped into Aldi this morning to find swede @ 39p each Woohoo..... I came out with 12!!!! Oops lol....... Now all i have to do is peal, chop, cook, drain, mash, cool and freeze lol I am glad they will keep till saturday when i have more time to do this....... I am going to go back later this week and get more are this will save me ££££ lol....... I will have to bulk it up with some carrots i am hoping this will last over a month lol

What do you do with your swede lol

Oh p.s BNS @ 55p (4 in bag!) :8855:

xx

I love swede (turnip here in Ireland lol) but I hate, despise and detest peeling and chopping it. Grrrr.

Oh well, no rest for the wicked. I usually put swede into stews and the like, to bulk it up. And I would totally eat just a plate of it on its own hehe

Chips! Chips, chips, and chips! :) Swede chips are my second fave after celeriac chips :cool:

I love swede (turnip here in Ireland lol) but I hate, despise and detest peeling and chopping it. Grrrr.

Oh well, no rest for the wicked. I usually put swede into stews and the like, to bulk it up. And I would totally eat just a plate of it on its own hehe

Why in the world do you peel swede? :confused: I cant think of anything I peel now off the top of my head...

Oh the outside skin lol

are swede chips really nice? I tried the celeriac and they were nice but never thought of swede, now saying as we have swede in the allotment stll will have to have a go, do you still have to par boil them?

xMandyDx said:
I love swede (turnip here in Ireland lol)

Ha, ha curious as to what do you call what I call turnips then?

How does unpeeled mashed swede turn out then? I always peel to the kind of line you can see under the outerskin as was always told it wouldn't be a nice texture otherwise. I just blindly do because I was told to! Lol!

Love it mashed with LOADS of pepper but don't do much else with it, so subscribing for inspiration! I REALLY wanted to like celeriac chips but OH didn't like them at all. I persisted but have to concede they aren't for me either. Might try swede ones...

are swede chips really nice? I tried the celeriac and they were nice but never thought of swede, now saying as we have swede in the allotment stll will have to have a go, do you still have to par boil them?

Swede chips are a little bit sweeter but theyre not SWEET sweet like sweet potatoes are, and theyre nice and firm, again unlike sweet potatoes which I dont like much as chips.

Swede needs a lot longer boiling though, I give it about 15-20 mins.

Do you eat the skin, after they're cooked then?? or eat around it?? :eek: xx

Yeah, I just eat the skin. I dont even notice its there! I dont peel anything any more. I havent peeled carrots or potatoes or anything in years, but I always used to peel squash, then someone said it wasnt necessary and theyre right, it just goes totally soft once its cooked. You can notice squash peel is there, or a bit of it at least, but its not unpleasant.

Ha, ha curious as to what do you call what I call turnips then?

How does unpeeled mashed swede turn out then? I always peel to the kind of line you can see under the outerskin as was always told it wouldn't be a nice texture otherwise. I just blindly do because I was told to! Lol!

Love it mashed with LOADS of pepper but don't do much else with it, so subscribing for inspiration! I REALLY wanted to like celeriac chips but OH didn't like them at all. I persisted but have to concede they aren't for me either. Might try swede ones...

Mm I dont mash swede so I dont know. But I dont peel potatoes and I do mash them! Yeah not everyone would want the bits of skin in their mash I guess but I dont mind, I quite like them as something to chew on. (I appreciate that might not be to everyone's taste :D ) But its no problem at all when your just boiling or roasting them or putting them in a stew or whatever. All good added farty-fibre! :D

With swede (and celeriac) I just chop off the wrinkly bit near the stem at the top. Thats it, the rest goes in my tum, yum yum :)

What do you do with your swede lol

:8855:

xx

I make Curried Swede Soup - no recipe as such, just swede, onion, stock or stock cube(s) curry powder, s & p, a little water to just cover. Cook until swede is soft, whizz it all up, and add a couple of shakes of lemon juice. Good as it is, or swirl in some vlf yogurt or fromage frais. Would probably work with butternut squash as well, although I've not tried it (yet!!!).

Also have you tried mashing cooked cauliflower as a replacement for mashed spuds? You need plenty of seasoning - I haven't done it for a while, but used to put in salt, pepper, a dash of milk, and if you like it some horseradish stirred in is good as well. You could also put some vlf yogurt and/or an egg in to make it creamy. It's season to taste really, depending how much of the cauli taste you want to keep. I've used it as a topping for shepherd's pie and we loved it! I was very dubious when I first read about it, but pleasantly surprised when we tried it!

Well think I might have to give it a go out of curiosity. Other than crushed new potatoes if I'm mashing something I peel it, just because i always have done. I don't peel anything that goes straight in for roasting. But if any kind of boiling get's involved out comes my vegetable knife! Never have peeled squash though as when I first ever read up about cooking them it said it wasn't necessary so never have! See... I blindly follow what I'm told! Lol!

I make Curried Swede Soup

Also have you tried mashing cooked cauliflower as a replacement for mashed spuds?

Soup sounds lovely - I like anything curried

And I'd totally forgotten about mashed cauliflower - delicious :eat:

Also have you tried mashing cooked cauliflower as a replacement for mashed spuds?

I had completely forgotten about mashed cauli, it makes a great rice alternative with curry! Me thinks I'll be doing that this week... yummy!!!

Ooh I heard someone else say that as well, Ill have to try it!

Tomorrow is curried cauliflower soup! Well, its supposed to be cauliflower & potato but Im gonna use celeriac instead of potato, so who knows what we'll get! :p

Back