Sweet Potato Suggestions

vicibrown

I have two of these bad boys sitting at home, any suggestions? I was going to roast them but someone said you could use them like jacket potatoes?

They can indeed be baked like a normal spud. They also make delicious SW wedges, go well with normal potato to make mash and of course you can, as you say, roast them. Versatile little so and so's;)

No need to par boil, they would fall apart if you did as they are a lot softer than regular potatoes.

Ooh- i wish i had some in the house now. I could just go for some sweet potato chips.

I'm pleased you said not to par boil them as I probably would have done that! Oh I can't wait to get home and have my tea now :D

There great jackets with hex a Philly light. I rarely eat normal potato now but I don't eat skin like a normal jacket it's not the same. Very course and chewy

Sorry, I forgot to mention not pre - cooking and not eating the skins. Enjoy!

I do eat the skins, they are a different texture to other potato skins but I like them. I think it is down to personal taste, like the skin on butternut squash- some people like it, others don't, so might be worth giving it a try.

Spicy sweet potato wedges are LUSH! Also love sweet potato roasted with other veggies such as courgettes, peppers, onions etc (especially with a little harissa paste stirred through). Fab for soup aswell. Amazing in Curries......i also make a fab chicken or lamb and sweet potato one pot. Just fry off onions, celery, red pepper, with the meat, bung in tin of chopped toms, a tbsp tom puree, garlic, and whatever herbs take your fancy and a splash of balsamic vinegar and let it simmer away until tender.

Also sweet potato makes AMAZING mash...mmmm xx

I love them as jackets or mashed into normal potatoes as well.

Never tried as wedges or chips but bet they're gorgeous. How long do you have to bake them for when doing these? Might have them with lunch but can't if they take too long as finish work at half 1 and will be having tea around 5 so its settled before I go running at 7 (so lunch needs to be quick and not too filling)

There's also a sweet potato pancake recipe that someone posted years ago (think it was Britmum) which is lovely, mixed with 1 HEB oats, syn free yoghurt, eggs, sweetener and vanilla extract. Very yummy, very filling and fab with fruit on top.

Tell a lie, it was StaceyUK, this is from 2009, obviously DON'T food processor it now (I never have) and increase the oats to the new portion size

These are surprisingly good and with a little pat of margarine & maple syrup (count the syns! Maple syrup: 1 tbsp = 2 syns) they are very passable as proper pancakes. You have to like sweet potatoes though! These would also be great with some fresh fruit on top and sweetened yogurt poured over for breakfast with a twist!

Makes 6 pancakes
2 pancakes = 1 HEX B and 1/2 syn

Ingredients:

225g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
84g oats
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp honey (optional - I tried with and without and both were good!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pot Vanilla Muller Light
2 tbsp Splenda

1) Put the sweet potato in a microwaveable bowl. Add about 2 tbsp water, cover and microwave for 5-6 mins until tender.

2) Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz. If the mixture is too thick, add a little milk or water but it should be quite thick, though pourable.

3) Heat a non stick frying pan sprayed with butter Frylight and spoon batter onto it (I used a 1/4 cup sized measuring cup to measure out the batter - this made about 6.5 pancakes). Cook for 3 mins on each side or until golden.

I love them as jackets or mashed into normal potatoes as well.

Never tried as wedges or chips but bet they're gorgeous. How long do you have to bake them for when doing these? Might have them with lunch but can't if they take too long as finish work at half 1 and will be having tea around 5 so its settled before I go running at 7 (so lunch needs to be quick and not too filling)

They take about 30mins to bake as chips or wedges.

I LOVE sweet potatoes. Just had to put that in!

Sweet potato and parsnip mash goes great with lamb - just add rosemary. Or add sage and have it with pork or chicken, delicious! Wedges are probably my favourite though :D

Very good source of dietary fiber and rich in nutrients. Good for people on diet. Much more healthy than an average potato. It's sweet so you can have it for dessert or just as plain snack anytime. Does not matter if it's boiled or fried-- yummy!

Last edited:
I love sweet potatoes just baked as you would a normal potato. Stuffed with lots of lovely homemade coleslaw (SW style, of course!) or topped with cheese and baked beans with a tsp of curry powder stirred through them.

I do eat the skin - it's all personal taste, but I love it :)

Back