Syn free crisps - and they are better than Walkers!

I've found this actually quite interesting with the whole debate. Also, what difference do skins make by the way? I sometimes leave the skins on my chips, like I would roast potatoes or whatever and I always count them as free. I don't understand why foods suddenly become 'un-free' if they're cooked a certain way... it all just seems a bit daft and confusing, I thought the whole point of SW was that it was supposed to be simple and easy to follow! If you look up potatoes on green, they're free so what does it matter how you cook them as long as you're not coating them in fat or butter or olive oil??

I've found this actually quite interesting with the whole debate. Also, what difference do skins make by the way? I sometimes leave the skins on my chips, like I would roast potatoes or whatever and I always count them as free. I don't understand why foods suddenly become 'un-free' if they're cooked a certain way... it all just seems a bit daft and confusing, I thought the whole point of SW was that it was supposed to be simple and easy to follow! If you look up potatoes on green, they're free so what does it matter how you cook them as long as you're not coating them in fat or butter or olive oil??

I'm with you on this one!

On an original day, you have to leave the skin on the potatoes for the potato to be classed as a HEX. This is because a food has to be high in fibre to be classed as a HEX. If you removed the skin from the potato, the fibre content is reduced so it is not classed as a HEX.

On a green day, you can have your potatoes any way you like - skin on or off!

Perhaps as members we could put the question to Slimming World officially since lots of people say the consultants are giving different answers as to whether the crisps are free.

Last edited:
This is from the FAQ's on the website regarding the fruit debate.

Q: Why are some fruits Free when raw, but have a Syn value when cooked, juiced or pureed?

A: While fruit in its natural form is bulky, filling and often time-consuming to eat, in cooked or liquidised form it is a very effective way of adding a lot of extra energy (calories) in a non-bulky and non-filling way. Consider eating an orange. Peeling, breaking up the segments and eating just one orange can be a lengthy process. Now think about the juice that orange would produce – it contains a similar number of calories, yet it’s gone in a gulp – in fact it takes 8 oranges to make a small glass of orange juice and it’s not filling in the slightest! It’s all about getting the most (optimum) satisfaction from your foods with Food Optimising. We count juiced and cooked fruit as Syns to protect your weight losses.

Perhaps as members we could put the question to Slimming World officially since lots of people say the consultants are giving different answers as to whether the crisps are free.

THAT'S WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY ABOUT THE FRUIT, BUT DIDN'T KNOW HOW TOO...THANKS...MAKES SENSE....sorry not shouting didn't realise had caps lock on....:eek:

I've tried the lasagne crisps. They're very good and really filling (not like normal crisps), but as they're quite fiddly to make (the pasta spirals are easier) I've only made them once.

I've been getting strong urges for crisps and junk lately and feel in danger of breaking the diet, so I may make some pasta and potato crisps later. Even if it is syns, it will only be low, and if it helps me stick to the plan, who cares?!

The crips debate surfaces on here every now and again and it's interesting that some consultants say you need to syn homemade crisps and others say you don't. I personally do not, however I don't eat loads of them. They are a nice treat every so often

x

You USE less calories to eat the quantity of potatoes that make crisps than you would to eat the chips or roasties. I have thought about getting a microwave crisp maker and even when Synned they are still less than a normal packet of crisps

It confuses the hell out of me too.

It says in the book- that potato is a FREE food. To make SW chips- you cut them up, add the fry light and eat them. Ive been told I can eat as many chips as I want, so why cant you slice potatoes just a little more thinly, and they been counted as syns??

It doesnt make sense? I cant eat crisps- but I could eat 10 portions of chips if I wanted?!?

Back