Puddings Syn free marshmallows!!

elissa_and_neil

I found this on recipezaar.com. All the ingredients are free foods, so I presume the finished product will also be free? Please correct me if I'm wrong - I know there has been some debate over things like chick pea cake etc, some people say that mixing free foods up into puddings means you have to syn them??

It makes a creme like runny consistency which can either be left to pour over fruit, or allowed to set into marshmallow. I think you can also whisk it into jelly to make a mousse.

Ingredients

Directions

1. 1

Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a mixing bowl.
  2. 2

Set aside for 5 minutes to soften.
  3. 3

Add to boiling water in saucepan; cook and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
  4. 4

Remove from heat.
  5. 5

Cool to consistency of thick syrup.
  6. 6

Stir in Splenda® and vanilla (and marshmallow flavored oil if using.).
  7. 7

Beat egg whites till soft peaks begin to form.
  8. 8

Very slowly, trickle a small stream of gelatin mixture into egg white, beating until all gelatin is mixed in.
  9. 9

Continue beating until light and fluffy (but not until they're dry.) If you're making marshmallow crème, pour into a jar (jelly jar, peanut butter jar, etc.) and refrigerate.
  10. 10

If making marshmallows, continue-- For Mini marshmallows-- Pour into greased and floured pan, cool to set, and cut into size desired

Ok I probably should have tried this BEFORE I posted the recipe - it didn't work at all. I ended up with a layer of gelatin and a layer of fluff!

Good news is I have tried and tested a different recipe which really does work. They even melt properly in hot chocolate, all gooey and yummy!

This recipe is taken from Healthy Indulgences: A Giveaway! And Sugar-Free Rice Krispie Treats and Marshmallows

1 cup xylitol or splenda
2 teaspoons honey (2 syns)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
1 large egg white
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (clear imitation is recommended)
1 tablespoon of cornflour and splenda, mixed together for dusting the tin. (3.5 syns)

Preparation:
Spray an 8 by 8 inch baking tray with fry light, and dust with the cornflour and sweetener mixture, saving a little to dust over the top later. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together sweetener, honey and 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water. Heat sweetener mixture, without stirring, until it bubbles vigorously. Place remaining water in a large bowl or saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over the surface of this water. Allow to soak for 5-10 minutes, until gelatin is soft, then microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute to dissolve the granules, (check this by looking for grains on the back of a spoon dipped in).

Turn down sweetener mixture to medium heat and boil solution until it turns amber. Remove immediately from heat and pour into bowl of dissolved gelatin. It will foam up considerably, thus the need for the large bowl in which to heat the gelatin. Note - mine didn't foam at all, I think it will only foam if using xylitol. I ended up with a lumpy mixture, which required a few seconds in the microwave to make it melt together properly. Whisk together once the foam dies down, and transfer the amber colored liquid to a glass measuring cup. In a clean bowl (preferably metal or glass - I'd recommend rubbing bowl and beaters with half a lemon, to remove any excess grease), start whipping egg white with a pinch of cream of tartar, or one drop of vinegar. Whip until the egg white is at the stage of soft peaks. (The peaks should flop over at the top, instead of standing up straight) Slowly stream in sweetener solution over the course of a minute or so, beating all the time. Turn up mixer speed to high and beat for 5-10 minutes, until fluffy and thick. Beat in vanilla. When marshmallow is beginning to set, it will pull on the beaters a lot and leave tracks. Pour immediately into greased dish and spread around with a spatula.

Pics of the finished product can be found at Healthy Indulgences: A Giveaway! And Sugar-Free Rice Krispie Treats and Marshmallows

Sounds yummy, I might have to find a friend to bring me some marshmallow flavoured oil back from US :D

The marshmallow flavouring isn't really necessary - a good vanilla flavouring works just as well really. I've never seen it in the shops, but I imagine it would be a few syns if its oil based so it's probably better to do the recipe without it!

Edit - the new recipe has now appeared above, ignore me!

This recipe doesn't really work, but I found one that does. I posted it in this thread about half an hour ago but it still hasn't showed up?! Maybe I did something wrong?

Last edited:
sounds nice

Update - I added rose water to my latest batch to make a turkish delight flavour, worked really well! I'd recommend it melted into dark chocolate highlights - just like fry's turkish delight! :)

Back