Syn Free Meringues?

Andri

Would i right in saying you can have sun free meringies if you used splenda instead of sugar?

Ingredients

• 250g/9oz icing sugar
  • 4 egg whites
Method: How to make meringue nests

1. Put egg whites into a large clean, heatproof bowl and whisk until just frothy.
2. Add sieved icing sugar gradually and whisk until blended.
3. Stand the bowl over a pan of gently boiling water and whisk the mixture until it is very thick and white and stands in peaks. Remove from heat and whisk until cold.
4. Cover a baking tray with baking paper and pipe meringue into small nest shapes.
5. Bake in oven for 1 hour until crisp and dry and easily to peel off the paper.
6. Allow to cool and fill with whipped cream and fruit. Serve within two hours of assembling.

but they are gross! They dont work, and are nothing like real mernigue :(

They didnt cook properly in the middle, they where like hard scramlbed eggs and where very bitter and an unattractive yellow colour on the outside. I would love syn free meringues!

Hi, mine werent very nice either, but i did make a few mistakes with them, i havent tried them since. But, i have seen a few piccies on here and some have turned out fab and looked lush, so its prob still worth you trying!xx

I tried to make a pavlova with sweetener and it turned out like a squishy yellow half cooked pancake! Going to try this method tho as there were a few things I may have done wrong like opened the oven and stuff..

I regularly make meringue and other than having it on too high, so going brown, they always turn out lovely and tasty :) I add a couple of drops of vanilla, and plenty sweetner. If you're not used to cooking with sweetener, maybe you're using too much/not enough?
Keep trying - they're great for a pudding fix !

I tried making them also, they were HORRID. but as mojomcl said maybe i didnt have enough sweetner??

* Mojomcl - How much sweetner to how many egg whites do you use if yours taste good?

Hey... I was looking through my desserts book and there's a meringue recipe in there, if you want me to post it I can? Let me know. It's not syn free and its actually a pavlova recipe, but same thing init?? PS I don't think meringue can be made with sweetener :(

I have some in my oven right now, so I'll let you know how they turn out. I've just attempted mini ones this time.

They were ok actually. They had a slight yellow tinge to them, and I think next time I'll put a bit more sweetener in, but for a first attempt they were quite nice. I ate the whole tray while watching Eastenders last night lol

awww im so glad its not just me thats ben turning out ribbish meringue's, my kids were heart broken when i pulled out a yellow frizbe looking thing out the oven lol x

I love meingues think i'm going to try making these. Any tips Helen?

Sorry, haven't been on for ages. I use almost a whole tub of sweetener, to a couple of whites =8-O But they taste the business! lol

Back