Syn help here please

tara40

Loves Norman Reedus
A lady in my group really struggles with weight loss. she eats free and superfree foods all the time, exercises moderatelly but has been losing the same two pounds for the past 13 weeks.
Now she said last night that she rarely eats any syns. Do you think that this could be the cause of her maintaining and not losing.
Her sister said that she eats loads of food, plate piled up. Do you think that if she cut back on portion size, even though it is free and superfree, and maybe has around 8 syns a day this would help.x

I'm sure it would help with keeping up the motivation, if nothing else! I certainly think she should look at reducing portion sizes and have her syns so as not to feel deprived. Otherwise she's likely to give up all together. Keep us posted.

I don't understand why (some) people choose to leave out part of the plan ie. The syns ?
Syns do not have to be used on 'naughty' foods, they can be used on meals to make them more flavoursome such as olive oil, gravy, mayonnaise, sauces etc.
I've read so often people say they have followed the plan 100% thinking that leaving out syns is a 'good' thing....it's not! It's part of the plan and if followed correctly, they should be included.
It sounds like she may be eating too much free food if her plate is piled high, though of course if it's piled high with veg, that shouldn't be a problem!
Clearly she is doing something wrong if she keeps losing the same couple of pounds, maybe she should start by following the plan properly by having syn and then deal with the free food amount afterwards if nothing changes

I used to be one of those people that rarely used more than 3 syns a day..if any at all and couldnt shift the weight.
I now find that if I have between 6-15 my weight losses are much better. I use mine on things like mayo, gravy, tomato sauce and as Im a crisp fiend, I have a packet of crisps a day.
Portion control is important too. Just because something is a free food, does not mean that you have to gorge on it. Your body does have a limit. I had this problem, hence my gastric band.

If she has her syns and continues to pile her plate high then she still won't lose, in my opinion. She's just eating more than she ate before.

To me, leaving syns out is as bad as omitting HEX's or free food, it's a part of the plan which should be used.

What has your consultant suggested to her? I would definitely advise snacking only on superfree, eating until satisfied not stuffed and eating more superfree with meals. Oh, and have at least 5 syns a day.

our Consultant has been off sick for ages, but our stand in one (who is great) suggested that even though they say you can eat unlimited free and super free food, she may be eating too much and if she were to reduce her load, maybe buy a smaller dinner plate and then had between 8 - 10 syns a day, this may help.
I will keep you posted.

I don't quite follow this. I know SW isn't about calories, but losing weight is about eating less calories than you burn (ppl talk about syns being so many calories a week and cutting them out won't be enough to lose an extra lb). So if she has smaller meals (thus cutting the calories there) and replaces them with another source of calories, how will this help her weight loss?

Not a snipe, just a curiosity.

It depends how much she is eating of the free food. A mountain of pasta will be a lot more calories than 5 syns I bet!

Also it depends what she is snacking on, if it's not superfree it will be higher in calories.

Syns are as much a part of the plan as A's B's and free and superfree food. If she doesn't have them she's not following SW properly (in my opinion!)

I do think she needs to look at the amount she eats at meals and her snacks and it seems the consultant agrees!

Definitely portion control. I did a restricted plan (the very restricted 'fast forward' plan) for a week to boost me off STS every week, and the main thing that it taught me was that i was eating waaaaaay too much. Having massive bowls of pasta and double chicken breasts just because it was free on the plan....

I then stuck to having a 'normal' amount of food (ie half a tin of beans on my toast instead of a whole one, 2 pieces of fruit a day instead of 8 etc etc) and found that not only was i completely satisfied and never got hungry, but i had a great weight loss as well. I'm not on the FF plan any more but feel really educated about my portion size and have been having 5 or 6 small meals a day instead of 3 massive ones, and actually considering whether i am hungry for a snack, or just bored.....

It's tricky though, as a lot of people who do slimming world love it because it doesn't tell you not to eat, or limit your quantities - i know a lot of people struggle with the mental straightjacket of 'eat less to lose weight', and it could backfire telling a member to cut down on portions. The mantra of 'eat when you're hungry' is very, very useful - it's good to remember 'not to eat when you're not hungry'!

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes at class!! xxx

I can see what you are saying Zombiecakes but i agree with Jaylou. I dont understand the science of SW but I think that because the food she is eating is all free or superfree she is overloading herself with food. My consultant said that potatos are free but if you were to eat 15 jacket spuds a day then you probably would put weight on.

Back