Syn value versus calories of olives?

Flabulous

There seems to be a general consensus that 1 syn equals around 20 calories. In the SW book, it says that olives are 1 syn per 8 olives.

I am currently havin a bash at a bit of calorie counting so looked up the calorie value of an olive and it seems to be around 10 calories per olive which would make 8 olives count as 4 syns.

Just wondered what other people think about this?

donna88 said:
the 1 syn 20cal rule only works for things like chocolate and crisps

Hmmm not sure about this....

I do know that sometimes there is a free food allowance so the 20 cal rule doesn't always work...

Hmmm not sure about this....

I do know that sometimes there is a free food allowance so the 20 cal rule doesn't always work...

well yeah that was more my point, but olives are a funny one, most people would assume they don't have a free food allowance but they obviously do otherwise they would be higher synned rather then what they actually are.

I think basically it just goes to show that you really can't rely on that rule, it does if you want something snacky while out but you really can't use it as a rule.

Although to be fair if you look on the snackulator (which basically uses the 20kcal rule) it does say it only works for things like chocolate and crisps

''Enter the Kcal information (per pack/serving) from the back of your product packaging to find the Syn values of crisps, sweets, biscuits, cakes, pastries and puddings'' which implies these are the sort of things you can use the 20kcal rule for and not things like olives

Thanks for the input. Yes it does make sense that they may have a free food allowance . Shame though, not so good news for the calorie counter! ;)

I find they make a filling snack though either way and even at 80 calories are prob better than grabbing a biscuit or choc bar.

Back