Syn values

Are you a member of a slimming world group? If so you can buy the books at group and you can an online password enabling you to look up thousands of things. xx

unfortunately you wont get access to an extensive up to date list without becoming a member, either through group or online, because the lists will be protected by copyright.

You can buy some syn books online, but bear in mine they are only up to date at the time of being printed, as foods can change regularly in nutritional value. Also be weary of buying lists/books off ebay, because a lot are illegally produced and a complete ripoff.

However it is still possible to do Slimming World, because the most of the plan focuses on FREE FOODS, whereas syns are only a very small part.

There isnt a formula available for working out foods with a free food allowance, as it can only be done using the online syns calculator.

For foods without a free food allowance (mostly snacks), it is 1 syn for every 20 calories.

If you really are struggling for cash, you could always join Slimming World to get the basic pack which will at least get you started, you don't have to continue to go if you cant afford it.

Last edited:
Thats what I was thinking of doing just wondered if it sounded cheeky, I really want to go to the groups its just petrol prices are through the roof and my car is a 1.6 its a fiver round trip to the group :( dam government!! I was hoping one of the meetings would be the same time as OH works so I could pop before picking him up but their not ... boo!
However...just a thought...my car insurance is coming up for renewal end of the month and its cheaper! spare pennies!

Thats what I was thinking of doing just wondered if it sounded cheeky, I really want to go to the groups its just petrol prices are through the roof and my car is a 1.6 its a fiver round trip to the group :( dam government!! I was hoping one of the meetings would be the same time as OH works so I could pop before picking him up but their not ... boo!
However...just a thought...my car insurance is coming up for renewal end of the month and its cheaper! spare pennies!

It should be possible for you to do slimming world without going to group.....I managed to do it for 3 weeks before going to my first group just by using the Minimins site. people are always happy to help you out with ideas, advice, recipes and syn values. Give me a shout if I can help you in any way.
I know several people who have joined group just to get the books and I can totally empathise with anyone who can't afford it, why should you miss out. If you can, join a group, get the books they give you and try to buy the latest syn directory, you should have a very good idea of whats what then.
You can buy books from ebay etc but you will pay much more than you would at group. Also local libraries have slimming world recipe books to give you some great ideas (although some older books may be ever so slightly out of date).
Good luck xx

Thanks Starr, yea its a bit pricey at the mo, im off with my daughter and my partners work have cut all overtime so were on a minimum at the moment, ive applied for so many jobs but nothing so really the money can be best spent on the food! I do plan to join a group as soon as funds are better!

I think what i'll do is try make up my own version of the online weekly menu i love the tea time meals and i have cereal for breakfast anyway so its just the inbetweens, and ive seen so many different things id like to try on here! Ill stick to it for now :)

Back