Syns vs. free food

Xassy

Silver Member
I've done SW before and gone off plan but I really want to stick at it. I know I lose better when I have 10 syns a day, instead of 15. However, those extra 5 do keep the hunger at bay. :eek: So, is it better to have 10 syns a day and a bit extra free food or should I stick to 15 and thus, I eat less free food?

Does this make sense or am I rambling? :p

Ooh interesting question. If you go for the 15 syns then at least you know there is a limit to how much you will eat. 5 syns is only 100 extra calories and so should not affect your losses at all. If you were to eat free foods then I suppose there is the possibility that you will eat a lot more than 100 calories worth of food but that food would keep you filled up for longer than the synned foods. I think I would say that you should snack on superfree instead so you do not feel so hungry, and then you will not have to use the extra syns or eat more free foods.

This is interesting, as lots of people say you must eat your syns blah blah BUT syns are on top of the free food eg if you eat only 25 syns a day and no free food you may have gone over syns but would still have only consumed 500 ish cals and thus still loose weight, I understand that it's all about making healthy choices etc! But circes is right if you have the syns there is a limit where as with free food you could end up eating more! I do red/green and save my HEX for snacks inbetween meals!

My consultant says to aim to use 10 syns per day. I only really go over that on the weekend/special occasion, a lot of the rest of the time I struggle to get up to 10, but I am trying really hard to fill up on superfree.

Syns are there to stop us feeling deprived of certain things which are not free. As no healthy eating plan will be successful if everything is off limits. There needs to be a little leeway.

With the syns it means you can have pretty much everything but within moderation.

I think everyone needs the minimum 5 syns a day, and they can be used pretty quickly (certainly in my case anyway, by adding certain no free foods to recipes etc), but I wouldnt use syns for the sake of it just because they were there. The same as I wouldnt eat free foods if I wasnt really hungry.

So if you fancy that bit of chocolate and have the syns for it, then have it, but if you don't really fancy anything and have some extra syns left over. I personally wouldnt use them.

hi, go for extra super free food! its about how you bodt uses the food not calories!!!!!! sw is not about calories!!!!!! you have to get that out of your head! a banana or 2 pears is around 100 calories say, a chocolate digestive about the same (not sure about sins but 5 maybe)? any way eat the banana or any fruit and you will stay fuller for longer than if you ate the chocolate digestive! plus you eat that bici and you will probably eat another one! i would! thats what it about. So stop worrying about calories and eat eat eat your super free food.xxxxxxxxx

hi, go for extra super free food! its about how you bodt uses the food not calories!!!!!! sw is not about calories!!!!!! you have to get that out of your head! a banana or 2 pears is around 100 calories say, a chocolate digestive about the same (not sure about sins but 5 maybe)? any way eat the banana or any fruit and you will stay fuller for longer than if you ate the chocolate digestive! plus you eat that bici and you will probably eat another one! i would! thats what it about. So stop worrying about calories and eat eat eat your super free food.xxxxxxxxx

I think the same as this! I never ever think of calories with slimming world, I'd be dangerous if i started to because i'd become obsessed with how many cals i'm eating per day and would start feeling guilty about how much i'm eating even though it's free or superfree.

When I first started sw I used to have the full 15 syns a day now I can only stick to 10 a day.
I dont seem to lose weight If I have more syns. So I fill up on plenty of super free food and use my syns wisely on my favourite treats or as part of a meal :)
xxx

Back