Syns - why are some free and others not!?

safc said:
The way I look at it is some calories no matter how low are empty calories. No nutrient value so these are syns. Muller yogurt contains calcium (milk) and fruit so has nutrients so these can be free as they are of some value to the body.
Any pasta is carbohydrate although they prefer you to have wholewheat for the fibre.

I agree, its not all about losing weight, its about being healthy, and a yougurt has much more goodness in it than jelly, even if there are more calories

Yeah, that's what attracted me to SW - learning all the recipes without all the cr*p in them! I love being able to cook something now in a healthy way. I hate watching cookery shows on TV and seeing all the stuff the chefs put in - no wonder they're usually a bit porky!

I am missing my calorie counting days, but it is true that although I still lost weight binging on chocolate all day, my inside probably didn't thank me for it. I kinda wish sometimes though that SW would introduce a syn-raise for the exercise you do. Sometimes I burn 500-800 calories in a day and with cal counting I could have treated myself to a nice choccy bar haha...now I only still get the 15 syns :-(

I have to agree that as someone only a week in sw it is hard to understand how it works. I followed first week but only lost half pound, now in second. Uploaded an app today that you feed food into and counts calories, I had a pear and it says 104!!! That seems a lot, don't understand how I could eat loads but be ok???

I guess the yoghurt might be free due to other nutritional stuff- calcium/protein (if there is any...can't remember)/fibre etc.

i personally do syn everything that sw tells me to syn. why? because it works! if you don't, and it doesn't affect your losses, that's great. our plan is what we make it. some people have 2 big slices of wholemeal as a healthy extra rather than just 1. some people don't cut the fat off bacon and don't syn it. if they do that then that's ok, as long as they are happy with what the scales are saying every week.

For me (and this is just me) I pay £49.50 every 12 weeks to work the sw plan and get the support and guidance i need. if i'm meant to do something, in regards to syns, healthy extras, amount of superfree on my plate, etc, then i do it. and I can safely say that it is working pretty well for me. I'm happy at losing on average 2 1/2lb every week.

Yes I do have slip ups, yes I do mess up from time to time, and I suffer with low losses on those weeks. But for the most part I stick to the plan that I am basically paying to do.

I've been on sw for 9 months and there are still a lot of things I don't get and a lot of things that I probably won't understand. For those things I just accept that it must work, because others have done this plan before me and achieved amazing results. I like to keep things simple- overthinking isn't worth the hassle.

So I can't answer your questions- but I can say from experience that what they say does work.

There is a contact button on the SW site- if you have any questions or queries you can email them and they should give you the info you need :)

I always think about this too and think if you have your third super free at each meal (on the plate apparently, I only realised this last week) then total up the calories. I bet u end up eating between 1200 and 1500 cals excluding syns. 10 syns is 200 cals.
Muller lights, mug shots etc are not superfree so in theory u should accompany some fruit, veg or salad with them)
Not everyone loses weight tho, some ppl replace sweets with an endless supply of grapes and end up not losing or putting on. My husband is always thinking abt food and hence hungry - he used to eat 10+ pieces of fruit a day (which would probs be 700 ish cals) as well as meals and syns. He struggled to lose but didn't tend to put on.
It works for vast majority of ppl tho :)

And I loved the banana comment too.:)

I think its all about using calories on food that will fill you up for longer so you don't need to eat anything else for a reasonable period of time. A mugshot will keep me going for a few hours whereas a choccie bar wouldn't.

I also think the very low fat yoghurt thing is to do whether they have sweeteners or added sugar. Muller Lite, Activia fat free don't have sugar but some brands such as Tesco ones do.

I know it works, and I'm sticking to it. but I wont syn my jelly pot lol. let me have my rebellious yet scientifically based tantrum and I'll be fine again and become compliant lol.

Back