Tasty meals my family and I cook

12Emily80

So my parents have both done slimming world for the past 18 months. My father lost a staggering almost 7 stone in his first year and my mother almost 4 so after having my son I have decided to drop the baby weight and join them (we don't live in the same household). My father got slimmer of the week almost every class and has got to be doing something right, he's known at his class for doing 'Dave's monster breakfasts' so I thought I'd share some of my favourite recipes.

First is my ultimate favourite, crammed full of tastiness and so easy to do and COMPLETELY SYN FREE - my chilli.

I batch cook so this recipe will probably serve 6 depending on portion size so you will need a big pot. I wouldn't say it costs much to make. It costs me approx £8.50 to make the whole lot which isn't bad for minimum 6 portions.

Ingredients:

Extra Lean Beef Mince or Quorn. Put as much or as little Mince as you'd like, I normally use 500g.
Frylite (a must have for every slimmer!)
2 tins of tomatoes
1 tin of kidney Beans
1 tin of chick peas
1 tin o baked beans
1 tin of black eyed beans
1 tin of cannellini beans
Mushrooms (as many as you want)
1 large Onion
Passata (to thicken)
2 satchets of chilli con carne powder - I like the hot one that you can get from most supermarkets.

Method

Brown your mince, mushroom and onion off in a pan using frylite. Make up the two satchets according to the back of the packets. Wash all the beans you want to put in, except the baked beans and tomatoes obviously. Add everything else except the passata to the pan and leave on a low heat to cook through, stirring occasionally. Once it looks cooked and is piping hot, if it is too watery for your liking, add as much or as little passata as you like to thicken it and leave for a couple more minutes and voilà, tasty chilli done in no time at all.

Serve with rice, jacket potato, or can be eaten by itself as a tasty snack.

Oh dear!!! When I went to class I was told the Colman's one wasn't synned... Obviously not! Sorry for that mistake. It won't let me edit the post so I will re-post it again and make sure it is syn free.

Last edited:
Cottage Pie (serves 4 big eaters or 6 smaller ones or even 2 adults and 4 kids)
500g Lean mince meat (5%) or qworn
100g red lentils (the ones which don't need to be pre soaked)
1 large onion
3 medium carrots
2 beef oxo cubes
handful of frozen peas
4 large baking potatoes or enough maris piper to feed your brood
120g low fat grated cheddar (HEa for 4 people)
4 tsp of beef gravy granules - optional (aldi one is 1 syn per tsp)
  • Brown off mince meat and make sure all the meat pieces separate (no big chunks), add to large pan
  • dice onion and carrot and chuck in pan with mince meat
  • add lentils to pan
  • fill pan up so water just covers to food in it and then sprinkle in oxo's
  • leave everything to cook for a good 30 mins.
  • meanwhile, get the potatoes peeled and cooked.
  • once the water has almost disappeared from the pot of mince, throw in a handful of peas.
  • decant meat into a grill proof dish, mash spuds and spread over top of the mince.
  • sprinkle cheese over the top and grill until its melted
serve it up with some broccoli or other exciting speed food :)
TIP: it is definitely better with the gravy added and worth the 1 syn each :)

Last edited:
I batch cook so this recipe will probably serve 6 depending on portion size so you will need a big pot. I wouldn't say it costs much to make. It costs me approx £8.50 to make the whole lot which isn't bad for minimum 6 portions.

Ingredients:

Extra Lean Beef Mince or Quorn. Put as much or as little Mince as you'd like, I normally use 500g.
Frylite (a must have for every slimmer!)
2 tins of tomatoes
1 tin of kidney Beans
1 tin of chick peas
1 tin o baked beans
1 tin of black eyed beans
1 tin of cannellini beans
Mushrooms (as many as you want)
1 large Onion
Passata (to thicken)
2 chillies (deseeded or not is up to you)
Tsp of paprika
300ml beef stock

Method

Brown your mince, mushroom and onion off in a pan using frylite. Wash all the beans you want to put in, except the baked beans and tomatoes obviously. Add everything else except the passata to the pan and leave on a low heat to cook through, stirring occasionally. Once it looks cooked and is piping hot, if it is too watery for your liking, add as much or as little passata as you like to thicken it and leave for a couple more minutes and voilà, tasty chilli done in no time at all.

Serve with rice, jacket potato, or can be eaten by itself as a tasty snack.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, here to sub xx

Mmmm Anita that sounds scrummy! It is definitely going on my shopping list for Saturday's dinner! It sounds good with the gravy granules added. Think I will have mine with green beans, I can imagine it already!

Right so I love having a Chinese chicken curry and have a great and really easy way of doing it without the high syn value of the takeaway. For every 50ml of curry sauce it is 2 syns, I only put enough on to slightly cover my chicken so probably have a few syns per portion.

Ingredients:

Chicken breast
Onion
Peas
Mushroom
Frylite
Mayflower Curry Sauce Powder (I use the medium one but there is a hot one available)

I haven't put measurements because you put as much or as little as you want in!

Method:

Brown the chicken, onion and mushrooms in a pan using Frylite, add the pease towards the end to ensure that they don't go soggy.

Make the curry sauce according to the box and add the ingredients. Simple!

Serve with rice, jacket potatoes or eat as a snack.

The mayflower curry sauce powder is only about £1 a box and is available from B&M, Farmfoods and I have heard some Nisa shops do it, you can get it online but is more expensive.

I love chilli. We add grated carrot and courgette to ours as well! Helps with your 1/3!

Thank you all for your replies! Sorry I haven't been on here for a while, I have changed Internet supplier and had to manage for over a week without broadband!! Next recipe is my favourite, hobnobs.

All you need to do is mix 35g of porridge oats (HEB) with an egg and a couple of tablespoons of sweetner, add whatever flavouring you want, personally I don't add any but I know people who add cinnamon or vanilla extract etc. Separate on to a baking tray in biscuit shapes and pop in the oven for approx 20 mins or until golden. I serve mine with the muller light Greek lemon Yoghurt (0.5 syns but so worth it!) It only makes a few biccies but it satisfies my biscuit cravings!!

Back