Tax disc renewal

big bear

A bear on a mission!
Is there such a thing as 2 weeks grace to get a new tax disc?

Oh - my friends car was out of date the end of April and she hasn't put the disc on yet (she's been on hols & forgot about it).

She reckons that you've got 2 weeks grace to do it.

Will they crush her car???

If you have done it online but the disc hasnt come your covered, there is no grace period im afraid, the police now have the power to seize the vehicle but only if they come across it so she should go straight to the post office and get it taxed!!

She's going this afternoon let's hope they don't get to it first

There is no such thing as a couple of weeks grace, I do believe that years ago that was the case. You are also liable to a fine if its not taxed, but if she is doing it this afternoon....BUT doesnt drive it before getting the tax fingers crossed she will be ok

If you have done it online but the disc hasnt come your covered, there is no grace period im afraid, the police now have the power to seize the vehicle but only if they come across it so she should go straight to the post office and get it taxed!!

I have been informed that even if you have done it online, if its not displayed in the windscreen you are liable to a fine if driven as legally you have to display the tax disc in the vehicle.

I can remember my dad sticking a note on the windscreen of his car in the seventies that said 'tax disc in the post', you could get away with it then but not now!

It's outside her house so no she hasn't driven it. She's definitely going today. Thanks for the replies.

hope she is okay - now the DVLA is computerised, they will know she hasnt done it - i think the fine is £80 roughly.....just in case that comes through....its 11 days overdue, it might already be in the post :( oops!

x

hope she is okay - now the DVLA is computerised, they will know she hasnt done it - i think the fine is £80 roughly.....just in case that comes through....its 11 days overdue, it might already be in the post :( oops!

x

That's ok as long as they don't crush her car. She got the reminder the day before she went on hols and forgot about it until today.

fingers crossed all will be okay xxx worst case she will get a fine, as if she has the car tax now, they wont take her car! x

Back