Tell the truth?

NumNums

Becca
Well as I mentioned, I went for dinner at mums last night. She's lonely after my dad passed away in 2005. And she suggested, if I'm not busy or working, we could go for our dinner at hers on a Wednesday.

Now I love my mum to bits, I really do. But I decided not to tell her about my diet as she worries about us for money etc. Also she'll say I don't need it, look fine, probably wont lose much weight now, I'm probably happy weight for my body and more.

But I don't want to make excuses up every Wednesday. There's only so long I can use ' I don't feel great ', 'The kids are misbehaving' etc...

I would really like to see her once a week on a Wednesday. Should I just come clean about the diet and keep the price under the hat?

I'm busy next couple of Wednesdays.. so I wouldn't mention it right away and see what losses I get in those two weeks, if she sees I've lost weight then she might not bother moaning at me. I'm more than happy to have my soup at her house instead of home.

Its your mum- tell her, even if she moans! :) im sure if she see's how important it is to you she will support you, even if it takes her a while to adjust. Spend the time you can with her as life is precious xx

Personally I think you should tell her, though I know it's difficult. Maybe take some time to go over there, talk through it all with her, show her that it's a healthy diet, not a crash fad one. Explain to her why you're doing it, why you're not happy how you are. Hopefully at the end of it she'll not only support you but understand you a bit better.

Saying this, I haven't told my family yet, but I'm going to shortly. I live away from them and don't see them so it's not an urgent thing. I decided to wait until I was in to it as I did it before, stopped because ran out of money and put some of the weight back on. But I'm going out with my sister next Tuesday so will have a chat with her about it. It's surprising how supportive family can be.

I oersonally think you should tell her the truth, once she sees your loosing shell be ok???, i know how your looking at it,my mum doesnt agree with these type of diets either, it must be the era there from :)

hun your bmi is nearly too low for ss so if your not seeing her for 2 weeks wont you be on 810 by then?
so tell her about the diet and ask if she can fix your 810 meal for you on a wednesday when you visit, that way you get to stick to plan and she gets to see that you are eating healthily

(While being on 810). With my Mum, I told a bit of a white lie and said that I was on a diet where I only ate protein-rich meals and was avoiding carbohydrates. I know that she would be worried and upset if she knew about the milkshake content of my diet so I thought I wouldn't tell her. Maybe that sounds a bit dishonest but I wanted to spare her the worry and give myself an easy life!

But, if you think that your Mum would be supportive if she sees that you're losing weight definitely tell her! :)

I agree you need to tell her, but wait until you are going there as already said by others you will probably be in 810 by then anyway.

I think you should tell her, but its your decision.
Other than that perhaps suggest you go out or do something else that doesnt involve eating! maybe go earlier and go out for a walk etc and avoid dinner entirely?

I would say to her ... mum lets go for a coffee have a shop and a coffee ... and if she says ho lets have cake say well you can but i'm ok with just a coffee .

Hi NumNums -- I like the idea of alternatives like coffee, a walk, or asking her to fix an 810 acceptable meal with the "healthy eating" explantion. If she asks you don't lie -- but not telling her every little detail about what you are or are not eating is perfectly okay.

I don't feel the need to share my adult decisions with my parents, siblings, etc. However, when they asked how I lost so much weight so quickly (almost 5 stone in 4 months)... I told them the truth and answered their questions. And, then when they put their "two cents" in -- I said, "I did my homework and made an informed choice. It worked. I'm not dead. You didn't pay for it. I'm happy. Get over it." And, that was that.

However, it was a lot easier for me do what I was doing without hearing everyone elses' "opinions".

MM

Last edited:
If she asks you don't lie -- but not telling her every little detail about what you are or are not eating is perfectly okay.

I don't feel the need to share my adult decisions with my parents, siblings, etc. However, when they asked how I lost so much weight so quickly (almost 5 stone in 4 months)... I told them the truth and answered their questions. And, then when they put their "two cents" in -- I said, "I did my homework and made an informed choice. It worked. I'm not dead. You didn't pay for it. I'm happy. Get over it." And, that was that.

However, it was a lot easier for me do what I was doing without hearing everyone elses' "opinions".

MM

:)I love this MM - may I borrow it for my clients?!

Hope that works for you, NumNums.

Yes, of course you may use it Lesly. And, if they had persisted in offerring me horror stories, etc. after I said, "Get over it." I'd have added, "Bite me." But, no one EVER persisted after I said this little bit. LOL

MM

Back