Tesco/Asda or alternative

Discussion in 'Very Low Calorie Diets' started by MrsPopi, 7 January 2011 Social URL.

1. MrsPopi

MrsPopi Banned

Start Weight:
    10st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    What meal replacement program should I follow? I dont have a lot of spare money so things like Cambridge and Exante are off limits. While I was tempted by SlimFast I have read that it isnt very healthy. What are the pro's and con's of the supermarket alternatives?

I have also seen the biggest loser meal replacement advertised. Would this be something worth going for?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. TRISTAR

TRISTAR Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st12lb
    Current Weight:
    19st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13lb
    Lost(%):
    2st9.5lb(12.25%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I was been in a similar situation. UK Slim Fast (in my opinion) has way too much sugar in it. In the USA they have Slim Fast Optima (I wish they would bring it out over here), as it is low sugar. I buy Sci-MX Diet shakes, and combine them with a multi vitamin. I know you can buy it in Sainsburys and ASDA, but I buy mine of eBay as it's alot cheaper.

4. Tarragon

Tarragon Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    14st4lb
    Diet:
    Still considering
    I'm not sure which sort of diet you wish to follow, as slimfast is very different from CD/Exante.

VLCD's like Exante, CD etc are used for people over BMI30 and they replace all meals with soups, shakes, bars and the like.

Slimfast cannot be used as a complete meal replacement, instead it replaces 2 meals, and you have a healthy evening meal. Most supermarkets/ Boots etc do their own meal replacements like Slimfast, and from comments I've heard, do the job fine of replacing 2 meals a day - but you must still eat a healthy meal.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    :)

5. mudbabe

mudbabe Fitness Freak!

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    9st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8lb(14.29%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    Mrspopi, you are at a very low weight and should not really be doing a vlcd. The meal replacements you are talking about here are not designed to be used as total food replacement. They are also likely to increase your problems with binging that you have mentioned previously. Please be careful, you could make yourself very poorly.

CatCrazy likes this.
  6. TRISTAR

TRISTAR Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st12lb
    Current Weight:
    19st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13lb
    Lost(%):
    2st9.5lb(12.25%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I can't see where she has mentioned her current weight :confused:

7. gina_b

gina_b Les Mills Fitness Freak

Start Weight:
    10st0lb
    Current Weight:
    8st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(10.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    herbalife
    im sorry but i agree with this.... you said your only 8 stone, you are borderline or are underweight for your height.
    if you do this vlcd, you are going to make yourself very ill

please please be careful

8. Lynn_

Lynn_ On A Mission!

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(39.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Diabetic/Low carb
    Hi Mrspopi, please reconsider going down the vlcd route, it wont be good for you and could just trigger another binge. In fact it almost certainly will and I think you must know that.

You need to eat healthily, you need to eat normal foods. I understand your fear of putting on weight and your mistrust in food, but you have to start to take a sensible approach to eating. You wont get off the binge/starve cycle until you do.

Try eating lots of fruit veg and protein rich foods, and avoid carbs that will trigger cravings. These will fill you up without bloating you and without making you gain. It would be a much better solution to keeping your weight stable than doing the more extreme types of diets which i think you know will just lead to failure and bingeing again.

9. mudbabe

mudbabe Fitness Freak!

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    9st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8lb(14.29%)
    Diet:
    Exante

Its in her stats, 112lb. She has said on previous posts that she is 5'5 tall and aiming for 98lb, which is seriously underweight.

10. Rorah

Rorah Mooooooo

Start Weight:
    12st11lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(8.38%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World (Extra Easy)
    I think 112 lbs is her GOAL weight, as opposed to her actual?

11. CatCrazy

CatCrazy Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st1lb
    Current Weight:
    13st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st6lb(24.51%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    She was stating in other posts that she IS 8 stone and aiming for lower

12. Tarragon

Tarragon Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    14st4lb
    Diet:
    Still considering
    Goodness Mrs Popi, I hadn't known your weight was that low - no, ignore what I said before and do neither of these, just ensure you eat healthily. Please take care of yourself. x

13. Fredcat

Fredcat Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st11lb
    Current Weight:
    17st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.02%)
    Diet:
    WW Propoints
    Hi Mrspopi. I was in the same boat last year, I did Lipotrim for a few weeks, but couldn't afford to keep it up at £37 a week. I then read on this site about a website called Avidlite, they sell all types of diet foods etc, but if you go on the site, there's a tab on the left which says meal replacement, they do shakes, bars, soup and even meal replacement meals, and are very reasonably priced. I've just started on them again and can definately recommend the banana, vanilla and strawberry shakes, and the choc truffle bars, they are delicious, and a fraction of the price of the stuff in the supermarkets etc.

14. Fredcat

Fredcat Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st11lb
    Current Weight:
    17st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.02%)
    Diet:
    WW Propoints
    just seen the comments regarding your weight above, but well, if you want to be underweight, who are we to argue?

15. loobylou22

loobylou22 Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    10st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st5lb(23.5%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Thanks for that site Karen, Its fab and cannot wait till iv got more time to look properly.
    I too have lost 5st on cd but had to stop because of the cost, now i have been on atkins for a wk and half and gained 3lb!!!! very upset. Im looking at creating my own vvlcd.....

16. MrsPopi

MrsPopi Banned

Start Weight:
    10st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Due to my recent binges I am currently about 10 stone. Ideally I do want to be in the lower range of healthy. I guess meal replacements arent the way to go?!

What would you recommend? A low calorie diet? Under 1200 a day and exercise?

17. cf70

cf70 Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st4.0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(10.22%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    I'm in exactly the same situation. I'm not sure if meal replacements are a better idea than just monitoring my calories because some of the shakes these programmes offer are actually quite high in calories and it makes me think I should just stick to 1200 which has worked for me before.

Also I agree, if somebody wants to be underweight I guess this is their decision. I know my aim is to have a BMI bordering on underweight.

18. Stupid

Stupid I'm a greedy pig

Start Weight:
    8st7lb
    Current Weight:
    8st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    7st2lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(1.68%)
    Diet:
    help i can't stick to any as i am greedy
    i would probably discuss your issues with food with your dr and see what they advise

sorry

19. beverley123

beverley123 Member

i went on cambridge 4 yrs ago and lost 5 stone in 4 months and i cheated,what kept me going was little bits of chicken and prawns.i put it all back on again :(

20. beverley123

beverley123 Member

sorry i put this in wrong place,im new on here

21. BordersGirl

BordersGirl Feeling great in 2012!

Start Weight:
    17st6lb
    Current Weight:
    11st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    6st4lb(36.07%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slim & Save
    Hi Beverley

I lost 7 stone 6 years ago, 5 of them on Lipotrim but I've put most of it back now so I'm starting again. I'm sure that there are many, many of us out there. What diet are you going to follow this time? I'm actually finding my diet this time round ok. I'm doing a mixture of Slim and Save and Avidlite (actually I think it's mostly the same stuff) and at least I have some choice. Last time I did Liptrim 100% for 4 months and could only stomach the choc shakes so existed on those for all that time.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.