Thanksgiving Weekend and the Red and Green Plan

BritMumInCanada

Gold Member
So I just got back last night from a weekend away in Traverse City, Michigan for Thanksgiving.

and EEEEK, my diet went to pot :(. I didn't go too overboard, but ate more than I should of.

Anyway we did have a lovely weekend. So I have decided to just wipe the slate clean and start today as new.

I have decided to give the Red and Green plan a go this week (I normally do extra easy), but do find I become bloated sometimes having red and green foods together.

So I need some ideas, as I have never done the a red or green day before. What sort of things do you have?

I tend to have the meals I usually have but substitute the starchy carbs for things like butternut squash, so I have BNS chips, mash, roasted chunks, and eat in the normal way. So you could have your bolognese in a hollowed out roasted BNS cup, or have sausages and BNS mash, or have roasted meats and roasted veggies with BNS.

Er, yeah, BNS saves me. A lot! :D

On green I have; fried/poached egg with beans & mushrooms for brekkie, pasta & hm sauce/Batchelors Pasta n Sauce/Savoury Rice for lunch and Quorn spag bol/chilli/curry for dinner (or spanish omlette for any meal)
On red I have bacon, egg & mushrooms for brekkie, salad with tuna/mackerel/chicken/prawns for lunch, meat & loads of veg or stir-fry for dinner with a HEb jacket pot. Mackerel mixed with quark and left overnight makes a yummy pate to have too!
Hope this helps some.

Have you had a look at the food diaries Hun???

I did a month on EE and lost 7lbs, but the losses were so slow that I am going to add a few Red and Green Days to liven things up and see how I get on.
I keep a food diary on here if you fancy a look to give you some ideas Hun.
Good luck and it sounds as if you had a great time away.

thanks everyone.

You can't get quorn here in Canada, so that one is defintely out, not sure if you can get a free substitute though. Will have to have a look around.

Vix, I am not keen on butternut squash (call me weird), although havent tried it roasted, so might give that a go.

Will have a look at some food diary's too.

ah ok, no Quorn - I'm sure other meat substitutes can be fairly low syn (though some aren't!). However I always find oyu get more meat on a green day than you get pasta on a red day IYKWIM - so you could still have beef spag bol (eg) on a green day as a HEb - and a fair amount I think - or use both your HEb's if you need more!

I never use quorn or any of it's yukky (imo) substitutes! When I have a green day I just eat green foods! I have bean chilli with rice, leek and pea risotto, jacket potato with bean chilli or spicy beans, lentil and potato curry to name a few.

Red days, I'm with Vix, I swear by good old butternut squash but I only eat it roasted. So whatever I'm having meat wise, I eat with butternut squash, even bolognaise! It's a bit different but so what?!
I've had a few red and green days this week so have a look in my diary if you need any more ideas.

Good luck!

don't get the bachelors free rices or pasta n sauces either, they are very mean to us here lol. I tried finding a substitute for them but there is none.

However I can normally knock up a nice syn free sauce easily enough and cook my rice in a stock cube and some seasoning to give it some flavour.

Going to pop to the farm market later to get my fruit and veg for the week, so will pop into the healthy section of the supermarket too and see what meat substitutes they have.

thanks Jaylou,

I loves beans and pulses, so thats a great idea for chilli and I already have a nice recipe for a lentil curry.

Roasted carrots and parsnips are lovely, so I can always have those with my meat instead of potato if I find I still don't like the butternut squash.

Swede & carrot mashed together is quite nice - and makes a good red-day free topping to shepherds pie!
You can make home made egg fried rice too on green - and throw a handle ful of peas/sweetcorn in with the rice too ;)

are they not???? gah!!!!!!!!!!!

Better double check through the free food lists before I start any cooking.

Bizarre that parsnips are not classed as free.

parsnips, peas, potatoes and sweetcorn - too much sugar (carbs!)

yeah I knew potatoes werent as they aren't really a vegetable and sweetcorn and peas aren't really a veg either, I would class them under grains, pulses and beans.

But I would never of thought parsnips.

Back