The BEST lentil soup ever! Free on Green

StaceyUK

Gold Member
I made this tonight at it tastes just like what I eat at the lebanese restaurant near work. It is seriously seriously good and great for the winter!

Lebanese-Style Red Lentil Soup - Allrecipes

My alterations:

1) I used onion, carrot, garlic and celeriac (I had one lying around) and sauteed this. When it softened I blended it and added to the cooked lentils. I did NOT blend the soup at the end as I wanted some texture from lentils. (note: when cooking lentils for the first 20 mins keep an eye on it as I kept having to add more water to it and stir frequently to stop it from sticking and burning)

2) I used about 1/8 c lemon juice (I made half the recipe) - it's better to add less and then add more when you serve if you think you need it.

3) I added 1/4 tsp lemon pepper and slightly more cumin as I love cumin.

4) I served it with a sprinkling of paprika and shredded fresh mint which really adds to the flavour.

5) I used chicken bovril for stock and Frylight instead of oil.

I made this tonight at it tastes just like what I eat at the lebanese restaurant near work. It is seriously seriously good and great for the winter!

Lebanese-Style Red Lentil Soup - Allrecipes

My alterations:

1) I used onion, carrot, garlic and celeriac (I had one lying around) and sauteed this. When it softened I blended it and added to the cooked lentils. I did NOT blend the soup at the end as I wanted some texture from lentils. (note: when cooking lentils for the first 20 mins keep an eye on it as I kept having to add more water to it and stir frequently to stop it from sticking and burning)

2) I used about 1/8 c lemon juice (I made half the recipe) - it's better to add less and then add more when you serve if you think you need it.

3) I added 1/4 tsp lemon pepper and slightly more cumin as I love cumin.

4) I served it with a sprinkling of paprika and shredded fresh mint which really adds to the flavour.

5) I used chicken bovril for stock and Frylight instead of oil.

That sounds nice. I am having a red things at the moment but when I have a green day, I will try this as I like lentils!

Another really quick, free on green, Lentil Soup:

Finely chop a couple of small leeks, grate a couple of big carrots. Soften in a pan (I add a little water and steam them with the lid on rather than fry) add your usual stock.
Rinse red lentils under the tap, then bung 'em in. Simmer til lentils cook, then salt n pepper to taste - Ta Daa!
You could liquidise, but the bits are fairly small anyway. Add a dollop of LF creme fraiche if you like to make it creamy :)

Sounds fab... I will try this. I do love lentils :)

Back