'The Big Fat Truth about Low Fat Food" BBC3

Interesting I thought, certainly reinforced why I try to cook healthy meals at home... the wallpaper paste was disgusting and my husband was quite disturbed!!

I watched this, it made me glad that I try to cook home made meals as much as possible. It also made me think twice about getting some if the low fat desserts and sweets. Maybe just save the points and go full fat from time to time.

Every time I "diet" my health goes to sh*t, even eating salad and healthy bits... I'm convered in spots, my migraines are returning, and my bowels are in a shambles... this is the primary reason i'm such a yo yo dieter :(

Im exactly the same, if i drink more water i notice my skin gets better and it helps with migraines.

Last edited:
You may be eating too many salads as salads aren't really nutritionally beneficial to your health! It may be a bit of deprivation :( try eating more complex carbs and proteins, these will keep you going longer! And wholemeal will help with the bowel, water is your best friend as, As we lose fat and stored carbs any extra water in our cells is also released, usually why there's a massive weight loss following a really restrictive diet :( therefore we become more dehydrated! I'm bad i always pop some dilute (sugar free) in to keep me going! Hope this helps as migranes and any other aliments are horrible and you'll eventually associate dieting with pain :( it's only a pain in the a** for the first few days haha. Good luck x

I got my boyfriend to skyplus this so that I can watch it at his this weekend...... I think I'm gonna go scoff the last of my low fat desserts before I watch it..... Would hate them to go to waste ;)

Full fat foods don't give you spots, migraines or make you moody which is a plus point. But how about in the long run? Fat builds up and can cause things like narrowed arteries and heart attacks which is so much worse!

The idea of weight watchers is to lose weight by limiting the amount of fat and calories intakes. Obviously by doing so you are cutting down on essential things such as fiber. But, fruit IS high in fiber which is why you are advised to have five a day when dieting. The the new pro-points plan is flexible and allows you to have those five a day, an average piece of fruit has about 3g of fiber in. Times that by 5 and you have 15g of fiber just from healthy snacks!

Please don't believe everything you here in the media, they are only interested in making money.

I watched this last night and found it very interesting, but what you have to remember is that she was doing an "extreme" diet - no diet company - weight watchers or otherwise - would endorse a diet of purely processed foods with no fruit or veg added in. Whilst I agree that if you were to follow diets to the extreme shown in this programme, I dont agree that all diet foods are bad for you... the same as not all fats are bad for you. The whole point of weight watchers putting zero points on most fruit and veg is to encourage you to eat these items...! As with everything, if you eat these convenience diet foods in moderation and not as your only source of food then they will help you to lose weight.

As for Zoe Salmon piling on 3lbs in a month of eating these foods, to be fair, she wasn't controlling her calorie intake. Whilst everything she ate was "diet" food, she was eating a heck of a lot to make up for the lack of fruit, veg and homecooked meals. The diet foods all state that they can only aid weight loss as part of a calorie controlled diet....

If you use common sense when eating convenience foods then I dont see the problem. I have a ready meal once or twice a week for convenience sake BUT I always put fresh veg or salad with them....

Nicki - do you not eat fruit and veg? Dont forget, she ate purely convenience processed foods - nothing made from scratch and unless there was veg within the convenience meal, she had no veg or fruit - nothing fresh....

Yes, the bread thing made me a bit queezy - I dont actually eat bread and am pretty glad now!

nope no veg, eat a couple of pieces of fruit a day but thats about it and i rarely make thinks from scratch, mainly because its cheaper to buy ready made or freezer stuff and money is very tight.

have you thought about making up a batch of meals from scratch and freezing them? Casseroles, spag bol, chilli can all be made in bulk for very little and frozen. You can buy frozen veg very cheaply nowdays and then all you have to do is steam, boil or micro it and add it to a meal to bulk it out and get your 5 a day in.... It can be a common misconception that eating convenience food is cheaper - I think if you worked it out you'd find it a lot cheaper making from scratch and freezing meals.... You really would feel the benefit of it - what happened to zoe - i.e feeling bloated, sluggish and generally unwell is all very real... making a few simple changes to your diet to incorporate fresh food can make a dramatic difference to your health and wellbeing x

Yeah i think you're right about cost, hubbs is convinced its cheaper but moans because i'm always hungry so we tend to buy more. I made him watch it and i think he was suprised but i think he just wants me to buy the non diet freezer food. Might try it for a few weeks and see what difference it makes and i really do need to eat some veggies.

Don't tell him lol. Just make up a batch of food, portion it off and stick it in the freezer!! Also, if buying fresh fruit and veg, it's much much cheaper to get it at your local Market than at the supermarket!

Tonic is right. They used the most extreme of diets to get viewers. There's nothing wrong with having a low fat dessert or a WW ready meal every now and again. Please don't let them put you off, as long as you are having a balanced diet it's fine.

have you thought about making up a batch of meals from scratch and freezing them? Casseroles, spag bol, chilli can all be made in bulk for very little and frozen. You can buy frozen veg very cheaply nowdays and then all you have to do is steam, boil or micro it and add it to a meal to bulk it out and get your 5 a day in.... It can be a common misconception that eating convenience food is cheaper - I think if you worked it out you'd find it a lot cheaper making from scratch and freezing meals.... You really would feel the benefit of it - what happened to zoe - i.e feeling bloated, sluggish and generally unwell is all very real... making a few simple changes to your diet to incorporate fresh food can make a dramatic difference to your health and wellbeing x

Ive just watched this and was about to ask whether frozen veg is still alright to have, surely ok it's not as good as fresh but not too bad to have like they are stating about other ready meal frozen type foods?

I knew already that fresh food is way better than ready meals, but i still ate the ready made as Nicki has said its cheaper and easier! though i have got better :)

definitely going to try and be more better now as i am always shattered lol, thing i dont tend to look at when doing WW is the salt and sugar intake! ... just checked out curry ready meals (the ones i mainly have as i love curries) and light choices is the best... and WW chicken curry worse when it comes to salt that has 25% of your daily intake where as other only has 5%!!! so its just little things like this might be worth checking out as salt does bloat you alot :)

v interesting though! and i will be making a lot more fresh meals spesh spag bol... but again is it ok to use frozen mince meat? rather than fresh?? only cause its so much cheaper! and lasts longer! :) thankyou!

Most veg is frozen within 3 hours of being picked so it keeps all the goodness in. Frozen veg is as good, if not better, than fresh! And yes absolutely no problems using frozen mince. It's fine to refreeze the mince once it's cooked. Just remember to drain the fat once the mince is browned xxx

Most veg is frozen within 3 hours of being picked so it keeps all the goodness in. Frozen veg is as good, if not better, than fresh! And yes absolutely no problems using frozen mince. It's fine to refreeze the mince once it's cooked. Just remember to drain the fat once the mince is browned xxx

excellent thankyou so much!! :) major help!

one last thing concerning fruit, your daily sugar intake is 90g .... does the sugar contained in fruit go towards this? only i read somewhere its a different type of sugar you find in fruit... compared to that you find in chocolate etc etc thankyou :) xxx

Back