The 'cost' of CD

MissPinky

Shrinky Pinky!
Can you place a cost on CD... or specifically on the outcomes of CD? Can you, or should you?

I know - sounds a bit mad, because we all pay in money for our CD shakes/soups/bars/porridge so of course it has 'a cost'... bear with me!

I've a friend who's also doing CD and all along they've said (variations of) 'if I don't lose more than 2lbs a week it isn't worth me doing it anymore because it costs, and I can lose 2lbs a week via normal means' etc. They've lost almost 30lbs in a timescale that they admit is astounding, but are now considering giving CD up before they get to goal because of 'the cost' which they've worked out (for them) is about £20 per lb lost. That's even after a 5lb loss in the last week!!!

I've been a bit baffled, although I'm a 'live and let live' kind of girl and how he feels is entirely valid and neither right nor wrong in my view.

For me, what CD has helped me to achieve is priceless. The results I have are amazing and I don't begrudge this diet a penny that I've spent on it! I'm wondering, does anyone else have any thoughts or perspectives on this?

mine is £8 per lb of weight lost i think....not including any food that i've had on my SS+/810 weeks....and i would have paid double....even treble this!

I cant put a price on the health benefits of doing this! :D:D:D:D

Some people can be really short sighted! I would hate to work out how much i have spent per lb in weight that its cost me to put the weight on! Probably about £150 per lb!

Seems cheap at the cost really! lol :D:D:D

xxx

Taking the amount spent divided by the pounds lost, mine is £13 per pound, which I know seems quite a lot but for where I am right now, mentally and physically, I would have gladly paid quadruple that amount. Priceless!!

My cost per lb is about £9. But when you factor in the fact I dont have to buy any food for myself I'm actually saving money!
So it's a bargin!:D

Yep, Priceless for me too, but anyway....

It's a weird thing about the cost, because it isn't really that costly. Well, especially if you are on SS 3 a day.

I remember Cambridge doing a cost comparison with a healthy basket from tescos (that's a basket full of healthy foods...not just the basket :D), and Cambridge worked out cheaper.

Okay, I know there are ways to make normal healthy foods cheaper, but many people don't. Eating well can be quite costly if you don't plan in advance, watch for bargains etc.

As for the 2lbs a week on a 'normal' diet. I doubt it. Yes, I know that you can lose 2lbs a week, but it's pretty rare close to goal, whereas it's rare not to lose that on Cambridge...right up to goal. Well if you stick to it anyway.

That's the thing that really gets me. Cambridge has consistent weight losses, pretty much until you get to your chosen weight. In all the years I did other diets, I never saw that. The last stone was always very long and drawn out, and rarely reached. Just my experience watching others at the clubs.

But, I do have a theory and a very generalized one. When people on Cambridge get closer to goal; like 1 to 2 stone closer, something weird happens in the head ;) I call it the near goal chatterbox. It appears to make people think of all sorts of reasons why they should stop the diet.

I'm sure that the reasons feel very 'right' to them at the time, but in many cases it's often irrational thoughts.

The cost of CD is sometimes brought up as one of the reasons for moving away, when really I think it's often that chatterbox.

In my eyes, one of the greatest things about CD happens in that last stone or two. That's when it's harder to lose on a traditional diet, because everything slows up so much. that's when CD really comes into it's own, if you can put the chatterbox behind you.

Anyway, know I've gone a little off course with the subject, but I find it interesting when people pull the cost factor out right at that time.

But, I do have a theory and a very generalized one. When people on Cambridge get closer to goal; like 1 to 2 stone closer, something weird happens in the head ;) I call it the near goal chatterbox. It appears to make people think of all sorts of reasons why they should stop the diet.

I did this last year before i did CD. I got from 22st 12lb down to 13st 12lb with the goal of getting to 10st 12....and i didnt get any lower than 13st 12lb as i came off my diet, stopped going the gym and then got complacent! I turned to CD 8 months later weighing 17st 7lb!

Not only did i learn my lesson, but i also realised the importance of getting to goal, possibly to more than just myself!
:D

This makes me laugh

People seem to think it's only day to day shopping they are saving, what about the odd Chinese / curry / roll from bakers/ quick bite from petrol garage blah blah it all adds up

Cd is very cheap ( in my opinion) and it's just people not realizing how much they actually spent per week pre cd ;)

Go us on cd and happy :D

£9.50 per lb, priceless. Where my corner shop wine merchant has suffered my CDC has gained!

I have no idea what the cost per lb is but totally worth it!!

Aside from the cost of buying CD products, I've noticed I'm saving money on weekly food-related expenses too. Especially the 'snacking' ones, where a coffee from the coffee shop inevitably leds to a cookie or cake, or a bad day leads to a 'can't be bothered to cook' takeaway from the local Chinese (which is a good one - and they miss my custom!)... But on my weekly shop I've noted an overall downward trend in expenditure, even adding CD cost to the monthly bill. Strangely, so has my friend... yet is still holding fast to the 'it's expensive - I'm stopping' belief.

I think my friend may well have the 'chatterbox' thing KD describes going on... and he certainly has experience of other weight loss techniques and programmes slowing down closer to goal and him giving them up and then not reaching goal - he's outright admitted that to me on numerous occasions. Sadly, his CDC doesn't seem to be helping him much here. Mine, on the otherhand, has been brilliantly supportive throughout and my losses reflect the support I've had as much as the diet itself.

I played devious with him the other day and suggested he consider a higher plan with only 2 CDs a day - less outright expense and still fairly consistent weightloss. His eyes lit up. But the problem could well be more fundamental than that - boredom. He is very easily bored and flits to the next thing. I'm not sure that's 'curable'.

Cd is very cheap ( in my opinion) and it's just people not realizing how much they actually spent per week pre cd ;)

That's the thing. It's not £x per pound. It's £x for all food and weight loss per pound.

When I compare that with my previous attempts at other diet on/off we have

Many thousands of pounds = 8 stone gain!:eek:

I think my friend may well have the 'chatterbox' thing KD describes going on... and he certainly has experience of other weight loss techniques and programmes slowing down closer to goal and him giving them up and then not reaching goal - he's outright admitted that to me on numerous occasions.

Yes, it's to do with the akratic belief system. Though deep down we know what is best to do we change our judgements depending on our belief system, rational, or irrational.

It's a really interesting concept and one I see so many times in my own and others dieting attempts.

Cannot believe people could see this as an expensive option. I was comparing my old sw book and it took me almost twice as long to lose the same amount of weight, as well as the £5+ class cost my grocery bills were huge, and i spent my life in the kitchen, and I failed to get where i wanted to be and to maintain any loss.
Its costing me av.£8 per pound but this is being lost at an av.rate of 0.66lb per day! I could easily have spent £8 per day on junk/snacks/drinks in a day pre cd, before any 'meal' shopping! I am saving a fortune! Also with the diet being so strict it is helping get my head round the long term changes i need to make and really help me get my head round my previous terrible food habits. Which hopefully will be the start of me working towards long term maintenence of my loss, no other diet has ever forced this shift in my thinking in such a positive way. For me that is priceless... xx

I used to spend a small fortune on food before I started CD, particularly as I was going through a naughty phase earlier this summer when I simply couldn't stop stuffing myself. I used to think nothing of buying a sweet muffin and cappuchino on the way to work, then sandwiches, crisps, a couple of bars of chocolate and probably another snack on the way home. Oh crikey, I was a greedy girl! Sorry for the mention of food here, but to me this diet is not only great- but it saves me money too.

Ahhhh! I dont know what to do! I think Ive got the near goal chatterbox but i am seeing this diet as expensive just now and although Im committed to CD I think a higher plan (on 1000 just now) is the way forward for me. Think Im changing my goal to lower but I'll just have to accept that losses will be slower. Going to think about it today and decide what to do from tomorrow.

Option a) SS to BMI 25- tempting but seems like the easy option in a
way + I'm feeling more motivated to exercise now and i
didnt when on SS before
b) continue with 1000, move up steps and continue with 1500
step.

I just dont feel I can justify the expense of this diet but if need be then I do feel fortunate that I could make some cash available. But I know Id manage to budget the £14/week for the 1500 step. I need to make a decision and stick with it!

hiya, this diet was working out £10 per lb, but with some birthday time off and a bit of slipping its become £12 per lb, but sticking to it keeps the cost down, i spend on average of £40 per week on cd and shopping for partner and son approx £50, b4 cd i was spending £90 per week on shopping + £40 a wk on takeaway and £20 a wk out about icebreams, cakes coffees, ect and alcohol on top of that, not really a drinker but had the odd glass of wine here or there, so we actually save about £60+ per week. and i have the bonus of being and feeling healthier, happier and more energy.
i worked it out for my step mum, financially it wouldnt help her, there are 7 in the house she doesnt eat alot just cheap food but rubbish not really healthy, no fresh fruit or veg, if she wasnt eating it wouldnt really cut her shopping bill by much, and they are on benefits dont really eat out or takeaway, so would cost her more, but she would be healthier and thinner, so when she wayed it up cd wasnt for her,
but i dont really like looking at how much per lb, and if you stick 100% losses wil be good, at the end off the day ive lost 4st in 16wks and couldnt have done that with anything cheaper, surgery would cost alot more, eg gastric band. and im happy on this diet.
sorry for the long post,
basically i think this diet is worth every penny, and just about affordable. xxx

living on my own i used to go shopping then have to throw most out cos i wudnt have it in time then have to go shoppin again so it doesnt seem to expensive to me but the outcome is priceless and i will keep it long as price doesnt get high lol

Hi

I know I'm new and am due my first weigh in today but I can't help feeling that if I could consistently lose 2 - 3 pound a week on another diet then I probably would be but it rarely happens like that. Surely most of us are here because we have tried other diets and they haven't worked or have only worked to a point. Like I say I'm new so will someone remind me of this when I get the "chatterbox" thing :)

Back