The down side of contraceptives!

McAsk

Hi all,

I'm sooooo down right now, ive only recently started on the contraceptive pill and ever since i have gained weight (except for the week i was on my pill break) so i know for a fact its down to that. Im a pretty good loser usually and i have been doing food diaries for a few weeks now to show my consultant that i have been 100% on plan. Since ive started i have felt unbelievably bloated almost all the time and the fact im putting on weight is making me even more depressed about it! I just really need some advice about it because i cant go on eating perfect and putting on weight... :break_diet:

Please help :(

xxxxxxx

Can u not ask your GP to try u on a different contraceptive to see if that makes things any better??

i will do, but i thought i would give it the benefit of the doubt and see if my body got used to it but it seems not. i was just wondering if other people have had the same experience/problem as me and if they would let me know of a better contraceptive...

Hiya :)

The best thing for you to do is to make an appointment with the family planning clinic or your GP - there's loads of contraceptive pills out there, and it's just a matter of finding one that suits you and your body.

Most people put weight on while taking the pill because of increased appetite - this shouldn't affect people on SW too much as long as your increased appetite means increased amounts of free foods only!!!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, but it should be easily fixed if you have a chat with the people that prescribed you this one. Personal advice on particular contraceptive methods doesn't really help with this since everyone's different!

Good luck, and hope this helps!

I agree with the others Hun. You should speak to either Family Planning or your GP to find the most suitable pill for you.
Yes, you will gain weight to begin with, as your body is getting used to the pill and balancing hormones etc, but then things should settle down again.
I've been on the same pill for 18 years and the only gain I get is just before the * week or if I've been a naughty girl!

Im on the implant and i did pile it on but then it settled down after a few months and i didnt put any more on but i didnt loose it either. Now im loosing on sw but i only have 1 or 2 weeks at a loss before i put on a pound again. I cant really say if its the implant or that its the way i loose weight but i can say im 100% on plan when i gain.

Can totally relate to this. I tried 4 different pills before finally settling on the one i'm on now which has never made me gain. Speak with your GP and ask them to change your pills hun.

Out of interest \sarah JAnewhich pill is it that you don't gain? I was on depo for 3 years. I put on 2 stone. I only put on weight when I expected to, like hols, christmas and weekends away, but rather than lose it afterwards, nothing would shift it, so it was always still tehre for the next blow out. I came off that in February, and my cycle is still up in the air. I'm wondering if that is still my problem for not lsing now. 3 perfect weeks, and 3 weight gains.

Lynda

Im on a mini-pill called cerzette... I've not had any problems yet thankfully...

Just wanted to chip in and warn you incase you end up considering depo provera (injection every three months)... I had two shots and it was the worst thing i ever did!! I put on 2 stone in 4 months (ish) and had the worst mood swings ever... The dr said there was only a small risk of side effects but I got em all lol, plus after going on it I spoke to friends and a lot of them had or knew women who had experiences same as mine...

Also for years before that I was on cilest pill... worked fine and never had weight gain..

good luck :) xxx

The depo is evil. I stopped taking it 8 months ago, and I'm nowhere near back to normal. I'm just ahving my 1st cycle, and the more I think about it, the more I reckon it still has something to do with not being able to lose weight.

Lynda

I wouldn't touch depo - I know too many people who've had terrible problems with it and had to wait ages for the effects to wear off. My sister bled non-stop on it - NINE months of having a period every single day. By the time it finally wore off she was very anaemic and unwell.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was, don't just go to your usual GP, either go to a family planning clinic or ask your practice which of their doctors is the one who knows most about the pill - I've always found the FPCs to be great, as they deal with it all day every day so they know from patient feedback which pills are most likely to cause which problems.

The depo is evil. I stopped taking it 8 months ago, and I'm nowhere near back to normal. I'm just ahving my 1st cycle, and the more I think about it, the more I reckon it still has something to do with not being able to lose weight.

Lynda

Totally agree with you... before depo i never had trouble losing weight when I put my mind to it, now it is a battle.. I think it does something to screw up the metabolism or something...

I been off it since april and still not had a period, altho every few weeks I bloat massively (to the point I can't do my trousers up) for a few days... never had that before depo!!

This is why i don't use hormonal contraceptives they not only make me gain weight but turnm me into a mental case i stopped taking them at nineteen , tried the implant last year and practically screamed to have it taken out after 2 month, hormones are evil. i get really bad munchies before * week so i imagine it is an increase in appetite but alot of pills can cause fluid retention because of the way the hormones work because your blocking things happening and your body gets confused.(for want of a better word) i suppose it depends on the pill.

i have stopped complete with hormone meds as well, i have tried the inject, impant there all hell with butting on weight and mood swings :(

It really is a personal thing - I was on the pill for several years (Marvelon) without any weight trouble (or other things like mood swings!) and I've had the implant for nearly 18 months (again, no problems).

For those thinking about this form of contraception, don't be put off - it's just about finding something suitable for you. Otherwise, keep searching!

Out of interest \sarah JAnewhich pill is it that you don't gain? I was on depo for 3 years. I put on 2 stone. I only put on weight when I expected to, like hols, christmas and weekends away, but rather than lose it afterwards, nothing would shift it, so it was always still tehre for the next blow out. I came off that in February, and my cycle is still up in the air. I'm wondering if that is still my problem for not lsing now. 3 perfect weeks, and 3 weight gains.

Lynda

I was on the depo too only had 1 injection in January and couldn't shift a lb. I decided not to have it again when it was due in April. My cycle only restarted last week so it was a relief and now i'm hoping i will start losing better.

I think its different for everyone though regardless of what type of contraception it is. :)

I've been on Microgynon for nearly 13 years now and i dont think it has made any difference to gaining or losing weight.

I had to come out it for 8 weeks starting in May this year because i was going in hospital and there is a risk of DVT due to inactivity but i didnt notice any bigger losses whilst not being on the pill. I went back on it in August and i had a 5lb loss 2 weeks ago so it certainly hasn't had any impact.

I dont necessarily think its the contraception that makes women gain weight, i think its more the fact that your hormones change which may increase appetite but ultimatley, we are in control of this. Doing SW with an appetite is great as you can fill up on super free and free food. I think your more at risk of gaining if you reach for the synful stuff as opposed to free.

:cool:

Back