The dreaded word...EXERCISE!!

As a newbie, i'm really interested to know if you all do exercise? and if so how much do you do on say, a weekly basis and do you think
it contributes to your weight loss a lot?
my treadmill broke a couple of weeks ago, and altho i have a Wii am lacking a bit of motivation to get it out and do!
x

I go to a gym between 2 and 5 times a week depending on what I'm up to. I "try" to do 3 gym sessions (cardio, powerplate, weights) and 2 Pilates classes. I really enjoy going as its a lovely gym. Not cheap but worth it if you use it enough

Have a Wii and Wii Fit - gathering dust under the tele!!!

I'm a terrible one for going through phases and being inconsistent!! I don't really enjoy gyms and live in a perfect spot for walking, near a beach, lots of countryside and hills so walking is my favourite, but this varies from walking 4 miles 3 times a week to 2 to 3 miles once a week! I have recently taken up swimming and some weeks I go 3 times a week and some weeks not at all!! So all in all, I can have a very active week, or a very inactive week (apart from being on my feet a lot in work which I suppose is better than nothing!) As for whether it speeds up my losses, I often find that it doesn't, but it does tone me up and makes me lose inches so I must stop getting disillusioned by what the scales say and concentrate more on how my clothes look/feel on me! All in all I think the more exercise one can do the better for many different reasons, but you can still have good losses with little or no exercise, you just won't shape up as nicely!x

I have a one-hour personal training session a week, Tai Chi and Line Dancing every other week, lots of walking.

To be honest, I don't know whether it is good for weight loss, and I don't much care. I do it because it's fun and I feel better for it.

i hate the gym with a passion.. but i LOVE Zumba (1hr a week) and Modern Jive . I also try to walk 2 - 3 times a week for 40 - 1hr at a time

Hi, i'm a newbie too :)
I hate exercise !!! But at the moment i'm doing the wii fit.
3 x a week for 30 mins. Also go on the exercise bike while watching eastenders !!!
Not sure if it helps with weight loss for me. But it's helping with my 'wobbly' bits ;) Some of the others at my class don't do any exercise and still lose every week.

Good luck xx

I go to the gym five times a week. Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays are a mix of 30 mins cardio and a weights programme. My weights programme at the moment is as follows, done as circuits:-

Box Step-up - 25kg x 20, 15
Chest Press - 70kg x 12, 12
Lat Pulldown - 60kg x 12, 12
Travelling Lunges - 10kg x 15, 15
Shoulder Press - 8kg x 12, 12
Upright Row - 25kg x 11, 12
Leg Press - 120kg x 15, 15
Tricep Ext'n - 10kg x 12, 12
Leg Ext'n - 110kg x 15, 15
Bicep Curl - 15kg x 10, 12
Good mornings - 25kg x 15, 15
Dumbell Side Bends - 10kg x 12, 12

Then I end with a quick blast of Tabata training on the exercise bike.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are 'rest' days, so I do purely cardio. Treadmill, bike and cross-trainer. Usually for about 45 minutes.

I find it makes a huge difference.

I try to do 3-4 visits to the gym per week, lasting about 70 minutes or so, a mixture of circuits, weights and cardio, designed for fat loss.

I think it contributes between 0.5-1lb to my weight loss each week dependent on how many times I exercise and how intensely.
A significant, if not earth-shattering effect on my losses.
Of more importance is the difference it makes to my health, fitness and body shape. I actually have leg muscles now, and I can feel some definition behind the slowly receding layers of fat, which will be good for fitting into clothes

I think the key with exercise, is not how much you do, or how long you exercise for, but how hard you're working when you're doing it.

I'd recommend anyone taking up the gym or any form of serious exercise to get a heart rate monitor and keep a check on your HR to make sure you're working out at your maximum capacity and pushing yourself as hard as you can.

It's a tangible way of actually being able to see if you're working hard enough.

I go to the gym every day as its right next door (arent I lucky!!) only been doing cardio at the moment, usually do 80 minutes of cardio.

Im going to put in some weights soon, but want to be nearly at target, so as my body composition changes (increase in muscle, decrease in fat) I can stay at target.

My overall aim is to be 10 stone but with more muscle, so to get to this I feel exercise is hugely important. I also think it helps with motivation, im alot less likely to eat a chocolate bar after working out hard for over an hour. And I feel it has helped the scales work down quite abit! :)

Im going to put in some weights soon, but want to be nearly at target, so as my body composition changes (increase in muscle, decrease in fat) I can stay at target.

My overall aim is to be 10 stone but with more muscle, so to get to this I feel exercise is hugely important.

Great stuff!

Just thought I'd mention that you will have to up your overall calorie/protein intake to successfully build more muscle, which might mean changing your diet a little depending what plan you're on now.
If you do red, no problem - just have more meat, especially after a workout.

Currently doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Not that I dont bang on about it in virtually every other post or anything!!!

Prior to that I mostly walked a lot. So I am supremely unfit, but thats something I intend to change. I am starting to like this feeling healthy thing a bit too much.

Great stuff!

Just thought I'd mention that you will have to up your overall calorie/protein intake to successfully build more muscle, which might mean changing your diet a little depending what plan you're on now.
If you do red, no problem - just have more meat, especially after a workout.

I dont know if I really need to build more muscle lol, just kinda want to re-distribute it!! I did Ballet for 18 years so have VERY muscly calves, thighs and arms already....so really I want to decrease the amount of muscle on my calves (as its disgusting) and build more on my torso and just generally tone up! :) so hopefully it wont need my diet to change dramatically (hope not as it took a long time for me to adjust to this way of eating lol)

Hi, I joined Curves as its local to me, women only and really friendly, 30 minutes 3 times a week, I've noticed a difference in toning up especially around my waist so far. I've always let it tail off in the past but I'm hoping that because its limited to 30 minutes I'll keep it up in the long term

Hi

I started the C25K running programme back in July - had NEVER been a runner and couldn't breathe by the end of the first session (60 seconds of walking 90 seconds of jogging repeat for 20 mins). I can now run 30 minutes off the bat and really look forward to my sessions 3 times a week. If I can do it, anyone can!

I think the important thing is, is to find an excerise that you enjoy. When excersie becomes a chore its time to mix it up a bit.

I hated going to the gym but found I love the Body pump class despite the pain it caused me at first. I also found I love countryside walks and every weekend take the dog out for a walk. It started with a mile or so and now we do at least 10 miles over the weekend and I think this has helped with my weightlose as we always try to walk at quite a fast pace. The dog looks thinner as well !!

Every other day I do 30 - 60 mins swimming and spend about 45 mins in the gym split between cardio and weights. Early days yet so I don't know about weight loss but I sure feel better.

I've been exercising like a demon this week (body pump and spinning classes every day) stuck to the plan 100% and gained 1/2 pound - my language was choice when I stepped on the scales!!

However in the long run if I lose inches and it doesn't show on the scales straight away I won't be too fed up - so long as my clothes fit better - at the moment though I'm still sulking about it :(

Back