The evils of BREAD!

Oscaria

I think I've realised the reason why I've been putting on weight: bread. I love brown bread. I hate white bread and never eat it, but in the past few months I've become slightly addicted to store-bought sandwiches, Subway etc.

Since starting SW, I've barely eaten any bread. I'm worried that I will lose weight by cutting out bread altogether, but once I start eating it again it'll all come back on.

So I'm thinking about following the SW student plan online, but it includes bread and I'm scared that it will somehow scupper my weight-loss, even if it's just a little bit, because it might lead me to excess once more.

Do any of you feel like this? Do you still eat bread, have you cut it out altogether and if so has it made a difference?

My names becky and I'm also a bread addict! Lol

I still eat 2 pieces brown bread per day as a hex b ( sometimes 4) because we can. I have a proper treat night once a month and have a foot long subway (with cookie) works out at 50 syns but worth it to satisfy my craving, as I know I can have it!

Don't give it up is my advice.

Trust me from one who lost 97lb to reach target, then started to creep back up again. When you reach target or where you want to be, you don't re-start anything.

You continue as you are. If you cut out bread from your diet, and then re-introduce it, it's a sure-fire way to gain.

Continue with your wholemeal bread (HEXB) remember you can have up to 2 per day on original and green (that's 6 slices of Weightwatchers brown Danish).

You can also use syns for bread (2 syns per slice for the above).

Otherwise you would have to start eating bread at the expense of the equivalent in calories/syns/HEX's

Steve

I think I've realised the reason why I've been putting on weight: bread. I love brown bread. I hate white bread and never eat it, but in the past few months I've become slightly addicted to store-bought sandwiches, Subway etc.

Since starting SW, I've barely eaten any bread. I'm worried that I will lose weight by cutting out bread altogether, but once I start eating it again it'll all come back on.

So I'm thinking about following the SW student plan online, but it includes bread and I'm scared that it will somehow scupper my weight-loss, even if it's just a little bit, because it might lead me to excess once more.

Do any of you feel like this? Do you still eat bread, have you cut it out altogether and if so has it made a difference?
I think the only time you can truly enjoy bread is a) a treat, b) an athlete. I too am a sucker for bread (sourdough is like crack cocaine to me) and have come to terms that if I ever am to enjoy bread in moderation, I will have to be using my body the way it is mean to be, running about like a loony.

Personally I dont see the evils of bread-for me it was the crisps sweets takeaways and general rubbish that put the weight on, not bread. I was partial to the odd subway when my weight got to 12 st when I got married, but even then I was having footlongs with cookies and crisps and meetballs and cheese all the time. So again it wasnt really just the bread.

If it is your thing the danger is if you cut it out totally you may end up craving it so bad you want to rebel and binge on it. Having a little now and then and it will do u no harm.

i used to eat a loaf a day of any bread i could get my hands on...... 6 rounds of toast with butter mmmmmmmm (slapped myself) I now have hovis 400g loaf hexb 2 slices in the morning with all my topings of bacon, eggs mushrooms :) and i dont miss it hardly ever....There is always a day in a blue moon that i think i could do with some more bread....if thats the case i dont have my alpen bars..... (mmm chocolate or bread.......CHOCOLATE lol) But i think you shouldnt cut it out just remember bread has helped you get to the weight/size you are now and you want to change that, so one step forward is to change the amount you are going to have..... Your mind just needs re training..... after a week you would look back and think "what was thinking eatting all the bread, i feel so much better" :)

xx

I have 3 slices of WW Danish every morning with lashings of Marmite :cool:

I hardly ever have bread now. I thought I'd really miss toast and sandwiches but when I joined Sw and stopped white bread and replaced with nimble wholemeal, my cravings went and even now I rarely think about wholemeal.

I probably last had bread 4 weeks ago.

But subway has always been my downfall, if I smell it, I want it! I've never had a footlong and don't eat cheese so a bit easier for me, my subway would be around 9 syns so worth using seeing as that's probably what a snickers bar would be, but its a lot more filling.

Very rarely eat bread any more. Maybe 2 slices every fortnight. It's a really good habit to get out of if you can. I now use a lot of crispbread etc instead. Find it much better.

Yeah I used to love bread too, but I only eat it now if I can understand what every ingredient is - too much processed crap in bread, bleaches, fillers, sugars yuk and that is even in wholemeal. I personally think bread is pretty evil unless it's pure xx

Although I also have a weakness for bread, and I also feel it can lead to over-indulgence, for me it would be empowering to try to finally get a handle on something and learn how to eat it in a healthy, moderate way. Which is what I love about SW generally, - the idea that nothing in itself need be regarded as naughty or evil; it's just a question of quantities and frequencies......
But yeah, like others, SW plan doesn't tend to include much bread for me! Would rather spend my HexB on cereal/cereal bars and my syns on chocolate/wine!

I rarely have bread now . Had 2 slices of small wholemeal on Saturday and paid the price with tummy ache that evening . Think I'm gonna stick with ryvita now :)

Since starting SW nearly 2 weeks ago, I have had one slice of bread. I feel a lot better for it, and not having sandwiches is a habit I'm going to try and stick to - I feel a lot better for having a nice salad.

I always thought that bread wasn't then problem - it was all the butter I put on it that was :). Steves advice is spot on really- don't cut it out completely. SW is really about learning moderaton, not removing stuff from your diet (though I admit to there being a distinct lack of cheesecake in mine since I started). I have bread maybe twice a week as my HEB now and feel alot better for not eating it all time.

You could replace some of the bread with Ryvita maybe? Last longer in the cupboard as well so you are saving cash as well I would imagine.

I have weight watchers bread now I'm on slimming world. I do miss a freshly cooked loaf of White bread with lashings of butter however I now that my weakness is moderation so stay well clear!

I know how many slices of ww bread I can have per day unless I choose to syn it and that really helps to keep me on track!

This is good - this is like true confessions. All the stories of half-loaves and lashings of butter.

I know that was what done for me.

I still enjoy wholemeal, but I no longer live on bread, especially sandwiches!

Hands up how many have used the "Oh, I'll just make a sandwich" line?

Eventually you are living of the damn things. hardly balanced.

Oh and don't get me started on French Sticks! - Cricket Bats I used to call them! Lovely, but dangerous lol.

This thread is making me crave bread! Baguette with lashings of roquefort!!!

Yes I miss bread but having my nimble wholemeal does make it reasonably ok. I can cope with the moderation but yes I do miss white bread!

ILoveCake said:
This thread is making me crave bread! Baguette with lashings of roquefort!!!

Yes I miss bread but having my nimble wholemeal does make it reasonably ok. I can cope with the moderation but yes I do miss white bread!

Ooh it's that pillowy softness spread with salty real butter with a crusty shell surrounding crunchy lettuce and soft silky egg mayonnaise with a hint of black pepper. *Drool*

Back