The Highs and Lows of Development

Hi Sez,

You appear to have fallen into my favourite trap with the veggies!
I frequently seem to "blip" after a good weigh in result. I never seem to get to the bottom of why with a TR so if you have any breakthrough's please share won't you?
All I can come up with is that I still revert to rewarding myself with food. I seem to have broken the self medicating cycle of eating as a comfort (this was my biggest problem) but I still struggle to break the association of a celebration (no matter how small) with food. A good weigh in result definitely qualifies as a "celebration" enough for me to want to celebrate with food and also I think in the back of my mind the old WW behaviour sneaks back in. You know the one where you go to your weigh in and get your "treat" on the way home because you have a whole week to get whatever weight you may put on, off again and then some.....
Silly isn't it how my brain has been programmed over the years - and what is amazing is that since doing LL I keep finding associations with eating in the weirdest of places. A list of places and things and feelings I have found associations with food so far....

1. celebrations
2. comfort
3. reward for hard work of any kind
4. long car journeys (?? for some reason I think that equates to sweets??)
5. Motorway services (ditto)
6. Cinema (what is the point in going without popcorn?)
7. Petrol Stations
8. Going anywhere alone = food, food and more food
9. Starbucks (taken me ages to not feel deprived with just a coffee and no cake)
10. Being left alone at home = this is my signal to eat as much food as humanly possible before someone comes back
11. Feeling ignored
12. Baking (I know, I know of course this is food - but I deliberately bake far too much of anything I am making because then I know that there will be leftovers which I will be able to pick at when no one is looking)
13. Holidays ... this is a BIG one. In my mind my best holidays are remembered in a almost photographic memory of meal to meal. Not places I visited or people I met. This is something I am most ashamed of. How much of my life was clouded by food and greediness? I barely recognise myself back then. In fact, I disgust myself.

The list goes on and on and on. That is just a snapshot. I can happily say that I have broken most of these associations now and feel like I am scrabbling back more and more "time" that was lost to this constant food obsession. It has been a battle and, as I mentioned above, a painful experience to face my pre-LL self without the raft of rubbish excuses I always had ready to explain my actions back then.
When I picture the pre-LL Laura, the image that comes to mind is a desperate, filthy, greedy, sweaty, disgusting feral pig, living in some dark alleyway, scared of everything. Hiding behind my trough and snapping angrily at anyone who dared to try to help me.

I am by no means now "done" and I still have a way to go before I can forgive myself and accept who I was and who I am now. I think once I can do that I will have a clearer picture of everything to move forward with. At the moment, I still seem to want to “blame” someone for my weight issues – even if that someone is “me before the diet”.
It is hard to explain this – but I have totally disassociated with the pre-LL Laura at the moment. I find it hard to look at pictures of me “before” and genuinely don’t recognize myself mentally as being the same person I am now and have always been. That sounds insane and I have toyed with deleting this whole last paragraph – but I am going to leave it in, just in case anyone else has an opinion which may help me reconcile this. It is my no means a “big deal” to me currently. I still have so much work to do to complete RtM and Management before I can tackle this, but I hope that one day I can move forward leaving all the blame for lost time and opportunities behind me.

This is a lot of navel gazing for a Friday morning isn’t it?
Hope you all have a good day
Love Laura

Laura im shocked reading this as i feel i could have wrote it myself.Im changing slowly & still making changes but im finding it hard.

Hi Laura I dont think I will ever lose my food addiction I do intend seeing this diet through to the end but I know the binge demon will pop up again but at least now I know I can pull on the reigns and get back on track. Mandy x.

WOW! Laura, that is so powerful. I can see myself in much of what you have written. I laughed at the old WW (in my case SW) was of thinking, weigh in night, its ok to eat & eat & eat as I have that week to lose it again!! How crooked is that?

My TR showed me that I was nervous of my brother-in-laws visit, and the fact that his wife, is a bit tricky to handle. She has yet to offer any compliment over my loss and her phrase of the moment is "I better watch out, as you will be thinnner than me soon!" She last night added that her BMI is around 38, I just smiled benignly!! Brother-in-law hasnot seen me since May, and whilst not expecting a compliment I did sort of expect a "you look different" kind of comment. Instead I got a " I dont understand diets & all that rubbish." He is very skinny, but very unhealthy. He chooses to eat only once a day, normally chips n' dips or similar but he drinks a lot, wine, beer whatever. To him that is perfectly acceptable and if challenged cannot genuinley understand why ?

I think I ate because I wanted to fit in last night???!!!??? In my own home, with my famly who know what I am doing & love me for it and for just being Sez/Mum I tried to fit with these two people, with whom I can get on & whose company I can enjoy on occasion, instead of having the strength of my own convinctions. I think it was the adapted child whose pull was strongest for me then.

Today, I am mad with myself, but I am still learning & today I will be better. After all, I am me & I love me and I love the new me even more than that fat, sweaty, bloated, lonely, misery I once was.

LL ROCKS!!!

Happy Friday guys!! Off to plant daffs with my daughter today!! Should be ironing, but WTH!!!

xx

Well done Sez, for getting to the root of the problem !
I had a little slip last week with some bread (referred to now as toastgate) at a dinner party for mainly the same reasons. I just wanted to fit in and I was also quite annoyed at myself the following day, because like you said, I was in my own environment and I should have felt comfortable enough not to have to adapt to suit others. But its over with now and hopefully I have learnt from it.
It can be hard to deal with people who get upset about you losing weight. My closest friend has always been slimmer than me (by a long long way) - but recently she has put a little on and I have lost a lot. The result being that I am now much smaller than she is. It has completely changed our relationship dynamic and I think we both find this very uncomfortable. I also get throw-away comments from her that I don't know how to answer, and also she just doesn't seem as happy to see me as she did. She even sits with a cushion over her tummy (just like I used to) and it makes me sad to see it, I feel like saying to her that of all the people in the world - I understand and she doesn't need to do that. But I end up just breezing over it and trying to make her comfortable.
I think the answer is just to stay strong and not feel guilty (sounds stupid but I do around my friend) for losing the weight. You have one life and one shot at happiness, so just go for it. You can't tiptoe around people forever.

Your brother in law needs to remember that not all people who die of heart disease and high cholesterol related problems (such as strokes etc) are overweight. He is just as at risk of these things by eating the way he does. Also, you do not need his acceptance of your choices – you know that you feel a thousand times better – and we all know how great you look.

More power to your elbow Sez – you are in size 12’s now.
Size 12’s…..
How bloody amazing is that?

Love Laura

Well, we have finally run out of money. I have had to phone my counsellor this morning to say that I won't be able to go to next weeks meeting and I am not sure when/if I will be able to go again.

I haven't managed to stick to the diet this week anyway and have probably gained most of my glycogen back so am thinking of trying to carry on and lose the rest by following a healthy eating plan. I don't really even mind staying the same to be honest. I have enough packs to carry on for about another 10 days but think I am going to be better off selling them on ebay and starting eating again from today. I am not entirely sure how I feel - I think my main feeling is relief to be honest, life returning back to some semblence of normality. I am just going to go and dig out my old WW books and plan a couple of days diet to tide me over until I can get a proper plan sorted out in my head.

Hey Developers :D

How is everyone getting on? I've not been around for a bit. Work is the cause of all craziness just now and I am like a slave to the office just now. I haven't really had a lot of time the last few weeks to do much really.

So there's been a few ups and downs but I'm hanging in there. Development continues to develop (yawn), but my WI on Monday should be a good one.

Helen if you're still popping in to catch up I really hope everything is going well for you. It's such a shame that you've had to jump ship but you've come so far and done so amazingly well I just know that you'll find yourself on the right post LL path, whatever that may be.

The news of the day for me is that I've finally started running! I've been increasing my cardio at the gym of late because of the swing pattern I've been in. My gym programme for the last 6 months has been around training and toning and letting the abstinence take care of the fat burning.
So today with my PT, I said it's finally time to take on the treadmill from a running perspective. And off I went! I'm not sure I'm yet at marathon standard, but it felt like a real achievement as I've always hated running. Even when I was a gym bunny a few years back - running was just not in the plan.

Other than that stability has arrived. I'm 'managing' the demons in the best way possible just now and trying out lots of different things to keep them at bay and plough on through.

How is everyone else getting on?
TG x

Oh check out that ticker!!! 7.5lb's off this week. I am thrilled to bits and almost there! 20lb's til BMI goal. It's just nothing is it?
I'm pretty certain that when I get to my 24.5 BMI goal I will want to go lower, but as I've still no clear view of what that will look or feel like, 24.5 remains the big goal.
I'm chuffed to bits :D

Blimey TG

That's more than HALF A STONE!!!!

Well done, well done, well done.

You are on the home stretch now!!!!

GO GO GO!!!

Big kiss.

Mrs Lxxxxxxx

I have got to grips with development a bit - now on the home run. I'm within my BMI and feel fantastic and everyone keeps telling me I look great. Going to start route to management in a couple of weeks. I want to get a few weeks of management under my belt before Christmas!

Fantastic, Tiger Girl and Kitkatkin! You are both an inspiration. Tomorrow I start Development, armed and ready with your experiences and insights.

Could you send the Guide to Development to me please?
I'm on Week 11
Thank you

Sending masses of luck to everyone Developing or just about to embark on RtM. I've had a really tough day today. This thread isn't called the highs and lows for nothing!
My body quite simply hates getting under 13st!!! It hates it!! It's crying child syndrome all round at this end. I am digging deeper than ever before and hanging on by a thread. What on earth is going to be happening at 12st? Is it going to feel like this forever? Arrrrgghhhh....
Had a bit of a huge moment the other day when I was working through some of this stuff.
The weight that I've lost so far is pretty much the weight that I've put on in the last 5 years. The weight that I'm carrying right now is the weight that I was *happy* (seemingly) carrying 10-15 years ago. And by god, is my mind hanging - clinging - on to it.
I think it's all pretty significant. I always did have a massive problem with that timeline exercise.
So this week is all about digging deep. Part of me is now sooooo curious to see when this awfulness, in terms of how I appear to be feeling physically, is going to end? Surely it will? End that is.
I'm off to visualise 11st...I will not be beaten!
:)

Dear TG

Will it end? Ever? That's what you've been asking as you've been hanging on.

I just had a lightbulb...not sure if you will find it helpful or not.

This torment can end whenever you want it to. You could walk away from LighterLife, from the diet and just settle with your current weight loss, amazing as it is. You have a choice.

I think that's what we all forget that, ultimately, we are in charge; it's particularly hard when the compulsion to eat is SOOOO strong.

But you could stop now. But (and you know what's coming) you don't want to stop now; you WANT to see this through to the end. So face that damned crooked thinking and say "THIS IS MY CHOICE" or something like that.

The other approach is to look at why you think your body doesn't want to cross that threshold. And we've had enough chats on this thread about what THAT's all about; you've got ME out of that hole!!!

Oh, and finally, do you know what? You could do a deal with yourself...a sort of try it before you buy it approach to weight loss. When the part of you that is freaking out about going below 13, you could say, if it doesn't work out, I'll rethink.

I deliberately didn't set a goal for Foundation for this very reason; I knew part of me would freak out under the pressure.

Oh, and finally, finally...stop thinking about the 13/12 threshold. Maybe think in kilos instead? You might not have the emotional attachment around a metric weight.

You are NOT on your own, that's for sure.

Big kiss.

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well - I've unofficially done it! We shall find out on Monday if it is official or not, but I'm under the 13st threshold!!!!!! I'm FINALLY under it! Physically *and* mentally.
WOW! :D

For anyone who pops into this thread and is Developing, it has taken me almost the length of Foundation to get to this place. 12 weeks in total to finally push on through. But I've done it. So my plea is to anyone hitting a wall or a block of any kind, if you dig deep you can do it.

"Will this ever end?" Well Mrs L, it has! And the only person as you so wisely said who can answer that question is me! And I have. And it has! I'm just so thrilled that the determination voice wouldn't let me quit, I just hadn't worked out the best way to get through it, but quitting was never on the cards. And the demons have gone - they've completely disappeared. It is the weirdest sensation ever. I'm testing this out right now by doing all possible to summon them up, and they just don't seem to exist anymore.
Enlightenment has arrived in full force!
I keep jumping on the scales to get another look at that number 12!!! The number 13 is dead to me!! Talk about unlucky for some - oh how true!

Off to the gym. Have a great weekend one and all :)

And the ticker continues to go down!! :D
Official WI today has shown that as I suspected over the weekend, I'm well under the dreaded 13st threshold.
3lb off this week which I will gladly take, after the 7.5lb loss of last week.
I can't get over what I look like just now. It really is true that this last bit does indeed bring on the most dramatic physical changes imaginable.
I've redone my ticker to show my all newly agreed, final goal of 11st.
:D

Ooh - at 3lb loss per week that's just 8 weeks til goal!!
I've not made a plan yet for Christmas though. Wondering if there are any long term Developers still out there (!) who are in a similar place just now and have made any Christmas plans on the food front?
I of course open up that question to all readers on the Highs and Lows thread - just what is everyone going to get up to over Christmas in regards to LL? As there is no turkey foodpack coming our way, will people plan in a mini break or are the hard core pushing on through?
:)

Back