The lamb mince debate!

Fatty_no_more

Slimming for my children
Right there has been some debate about lean v extra lean lamb.
I just read in last months mag a lamb recipe which is FREE and it's used lean lamb mince.
So I am sticking with that. X

I use lean lamb, as i've never seen extra lean lamb mince. If any fat comes off when i cook the mince then I just drain it off.

I just buy fresh lamb and mince it myself.

What cut of lamb do you buy to mince yourself? The only very lean lamb is the very expensive cuts like leg and fillet, which makes the mince extremely expensive. If I'm buying cuts like that I'd rather use them as they are!

Denise

I've always used normal lamb mince as its a real struggle to get anything else and always been fine with it. I do drain off all the fat though

I used normal lamb mince for a while as that was all I could get but my local Tesco has started selling lean lamb mince, tastes just the same and has saved me some more calories :)

I've never seen extra lean lamb either but if anyone knows where to get some I'd be interested in trying it :)

Also they handed out a new book last night and the recipe for the chilli con carni that has extra lean beef has a little note next to it saying u can swap it for lean and it's still free. X

juju - is the lean lamb mince fresh or frozen. I haven't seen it in my local Tesco.

It's fresh, I was surprised to see it too. They also do low fat cuts of lamb, I have some steaks that I am turning into kebabs.

It might be worth having a word with the butcher onsite and ask if they can get some in for you, I heard that if you buy 5 lots they will get it ordered in. Don't know if that is true or a rumour but would be worth asking for.

Waitrose do extra lean lamb mince.

I noticed the recipe in the mag called for lean lamb mince, although I'd never use normal lamb mince as it's approximately 20% fat!

I always use extra lean mince beef though.

Also they handed out a new book last night and the recipe for the chilli con carni that has extra lean beef has a little note next to it saying u can swap it for lean and it's still free. X

There was a new book??? What new book??? Why didnt I get a new book??? WARGH!!!! I wanna neeeeew boooook!!! x ;-)

The book is in the new member packs, or £1.50 to existing members. It's not a very big book though, probably a dozen pages or so.

Oh okay...is it supercharged?? I think I got one of those!!! PMSL!! ( I hate to miss out on anything....can you tell???)

Back