The Last Lump

Kane3000

Not sure if I have the right part of the forum (please direct me if I haven’t) but I am after some advice.

I am 33 years old and have and a generally slim guy – I’ve always had these ‘extra’ few pounds on my stomach, even though it has never really shown across the rest of my body. So, I’ve decided to do something about it to finally get that elusive flat stomach.

For the past month I have cut my calorie intake down and got back onto doing my weights, this is obviously helping my metabolism etc.

Usually, I have been having a couple slices of toast and tea in the morning, a small pasty for lunch and either soup and some toast or a couple of eggs and toast in the evening.

So I have lost a few pounds and now seem to have a plateau and can’t shift that dreaded last part! What can I do to get over this last ‘hump’ (pardon the pun!)

I think pasties are really high in calories due to the pastry. And to be honest i don't think you are eating enough. Are you following some sort of plan or are you doing it on your own.

Is your toast wholemeal, if not i would switch to wholemeal toast, or why not a couple of weetabix with semi skimmed milk. Then for lunch have something like pasta salad, and for dinner have something like meat, potatoes and veg or bolognaise or something. Have decent portions and snack on fruit throughout the day if you are hungary.

Good luck with the last few lbs.

doing it on my own - just working on a lesser calory diet really.

well it seems to have worked well so far - I guess I have been hittin around 1000 cals a day, with a few hundred taken off with the exercise. i have lost the first few pounds no probs.

on the weekends i come off of it and dont go mad but eat normally, so i thought this would only help confuse my body and ensure it doesnt try to level itself out.

Last edited:
I have no idea how you can manage on 1000 cals a day!!! I would starve.....

Agree with Bettylollipop, you don't seem to be eating enough at all, certainly not enough fruit and veg. Try and have your 5 a day as a minimum.

Good luck with the last few pounds but I really do think you are not having enough calories.
Jay

thankyou for the advice guys.

i haven't been hungry - i have a busy job so I suppose that takes my mind off of it.

ive actually been developing my shape with the weights so i cant be undereating too much - otherwise how would i build any muscle? (then again, im not expert so im probably wrong!)

the toast and tea seems quite standard and the lunch is anything up to 400 pounds - the toast with butter and soup adds up to about 600 - are these amounts way too small then?

how have i managed to lose the weight but now its stopped?

also, i thought that eating normally on the weekend and not watching the calories (but not over eating) would help compensate as my body wouldn't be in constand dieting mode - is that right or wrong?

ah! funnily enough, i have done it more this week than in previous weeks and this is when I seem to have stopped with the weight loss. I've done it every night since Sunday, so 4 times already - id been doing 3 times a week (alternative days) previously.

so - i should go back to the old routine and the loss should continue i guess? basically, im not allowing my body time to recover and know whether its coming or going then?

Still think 1000 cals a day is not enough for a woman, let alone a man to survive on. You will lose more weight by eating more. Honestly - I can advise til the cows come home on Slimming World so can't answer you completely, but I bet we all eat way more than 1000 cals a day on here and lose weight well.

thats the part that confusing me though - ive lost the initial part quite well and i don't stick to it on the weekend - i thought mixing it up a little was a good thing so the body isn't 'confused' and doesn't level itself out.

if that isn't the case then i'll take the advice on board, as thats why im here - to talk to and take advice from more experienced dieters.

im just confused really.

also the point the lady made above about doing too much weights does make sense - as i have increased the amount this week i have noticed a notable change in my shape but a stop in my weight loss - it sort of makes sense that if i went back to the old routine then I would go back to the loss of weight?

:confused:

i'm eating more fruit than veg really - on the weekend i do get some veg in but during the week i eat tangerines/oranges/apples etc - i only really listed the 'heavy' calories in my diet earlier.

Are you sure you need to lose this last bit of weight? If you concentrated on toning up etc with weights and sit-ups then it could make more difference than losing weight (that's assuming you only have a very small amount of weight you're wanting to lose).

From looking at what you are eating - like others said - not enough fruit and veg!

I most def need to lose this last bit. I'm not going over the top by any means, there is a 'tyre' (not trying to be disproportionate'!) there that needs to go - can't be anything more than 2/3 lbs worth really.

Ok well my advice is - eat healthily - have lots and lots of fruit and veg, PROPER dinner in the evening (eggs and toast isnt enough for your evening meal!) and carry on exercising and you'll lose the pounds eventually. Would you consider doing different types of exercise? Swimming of jogging? Pilates is apparently very good for toning up.

Be patient about it though- the longer it takes you to shift the pounds, the more likely it is you will keep it off - that's how I see it - just look at me for example - it has taken me 6 months to lose nearly 23 pounds, that's an average of 3 pounds a month.

Ok well my advice is - eat healthily - have lots and lots of fruit and veg, PROPER dinner in the evening (eggs and toast isnt enough for your evening meal!) and carry on exercising and you'll lose the pounds eventually. Would you consider doing different types of exercise? Swimming of jogging? Pilates is apparently very good for toning up.

Be patient about it though- the longer it takes you to shift the pounds, the more likely it is you will keep it off - that's how I see it - just look at me for example - it has taken me 6 months to lose nearly 23 pounds, that's an average of 3 pounds a month.

thankyou very much for that, it all sounds like solid sensible advice.
I would like to start running but fitting it in is another thing! i usually get home at 8 every night and do my weights every other night - I was thinking of running on the other nights but its pitch black by that time!
I guess im just a bit frustrated at getting most of it gone and now down to the last struggle - although I have read that the last few pounds are always the hardest to shift!

good god your body is holding onto it because it is storing every bit of fat you put in your body on a weekend!! your body has gone into starvation mode because you are depriving it for five days at a time 1000 calories is not enough you willo not lose weight if you continue doing this hon trust me i tried it for years till someone explained it to me . read the posts on here get yourself a book and try do slimming world your body is smarter than you think XXX good luck!

I agree with Ria, because your starving your body during the week (you might not think you are but you are) then when you eat on a weekend your body is storing the fat it needs.

I would change your eating habits and eat healthily 7 days a week (obviously with the odd treat)

You def need more calories if your weight training. Protein is good.

Good luck

thanks everyone, some really helpful tips so far.

I didnt realise i was undereating that badly - and as I have seen an improvement on my body shape I thought that it wasn't affecting my weight training.

I will look at how I eat on the weekends too, as well as my calorie intake during week.

I read somewhere that 3500 = 1 pound - so as long as I am reducing that amount of calories over a week or so, I should lose the weight right?

Back