The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Dieter

SugarBlomme

In it for the long haul..
Hello Everyone :)

This is my weight loss diary - I think I'm mostly going to be gabbling about what I've eaten or despairing when things go wrong.

I'm on day 3 and although it's really early on it's going well and I'm finding it fairly easy to stick to and even though I've been offered chocolate cake and kettle chips about 5 times this week in the office I've managed to say no pretty easily :)

I was a bit shocked when I saw my weight on Monday but I'm focussing more on the journey ahead and I'm not so daunted now - I'm in this for the long haul and I am confident of the things I can try to acheive once I start to get a bit healthier and a bit lighter. (This mostly relates to my PCOS and babies but more of that in a later post.)

I'll let you know how I get on!

aims xx

Last edited:
Hello and welcome :)

Good luck, the 1st day is the hardest and you've got through it!

I just restarted 3 weeks ago and am pleased I have remained focused :D..it's GOT to go!

I look forward to following your progress and chatting with you.

Onwards and downwards ;)

Hello aims and welcome :)

Good luck to you. You'll get as much support & help here as you need. After all, we're all in the same boat :)

Welcome and good luck. Take it nice and steady and remember that if you really want it come go, it will - just don't give up! xxx

Thanks everyone!

I've just come in from work and the shops; I feel starving and grumpy and reading your posts was just the encouragement I needed :) It really does help!

On another note I'm so proud of how I did at the supermarket; I thought I'd go pieces and raid the cake aisle but in a weird way I found it easier to focus on getting what I needed cos I sort of separated my brain from my hungry feeling. So a little acheivement on an otherwise uneventful Wednesday.

Hope everyone else is getting on okay!!

xxx

Heya :)
Hope that everything goes well :)
It's always good to stock up on healthy foods, especially stuff like fruit, that you can just grab when you're feeling peckish.
And everyone is going to recommend this to you, but i'll get in there straight away and suggest home made soup, it's a life saver!
Boil up some red lentils, and then whatever veg you want, drain most of the water, mix the two, blend them add a stock cube or some chilli or whatever, mix, and enjoy. It can be frozen and lasts in the fridge for about a week.
Best wishes.

Thanks Pink, that soup recipe looks yummy :) I'll def be trying that. Soups like that are good, too because I can feed it to the OH iwth some bread and he'll be quite happy!

Today's going well so far; I'm really trying to increase my water intake because I know I don't drink enough and I think that when I think I'm hungry, it might really just be that I'm thirsty. So I'm trying to get my water up to at least 2 litres - maybe 2.5.
I'll see how I go anyway - but this morning it is helping keep me full until my fruit time.

Today's been a little bit iffy just because the girls at work are always going on about diets and that they're not happy about their bodies and they've got just a few lbs to lose - it make me feel a bit weird and uncomfortable. I want to support them but I feel like they just see me as the fat one who doesn't understand and I am more laidback about how I view myself and feel about myself - I don't obsess about my face or how fat my arms are...I just feel a bit on the fringes. That probably sounds stupid. But I'm glad I can come here and talk rubbish for a bit.

Hey Ho, back to the grindstone! Sorry for keep gabbling on here but it really helps me keep focussed and positive.

xxx

Last edited:
Good for you, you are in the right frame of mind!

Pink is correct, homemade soup is a winner. I make a big pot and the whole family eats it too. I am having lentil, carrot and onion soup for lunch today..need it, it's FREEZING up here :rolleyes:

I know what you mean about those with only a few lbs to lose. I once walked into a staffroom mid debate about dieting and cellulite etc, (overheard while I was making a cuppa), then I entered the room and the conversation changed, in a friendly 'not too obvious' kind of way, but I still noticed :rolleyes: I think they were 'trying' not to embarress me :eek:... probably thought I was a lost cause on the dieting debate :8855:

Well done re the supermarket. I must admit to feeling a bit smug these days standing the queue with my fruit and veg and low fat spread and ryvitas in my basket :)

I too find keeping a diary on here very motivating, keep reading and posting, as you said, it does help!

Have a successful day :)

So...It's Friday...and it's the weekend...:(

I love the weekends but I'm slightly dreading it this week tbh. We're visiting and staying over with the OH's parents and I'm really worried that it'll mess my eating routine up - I've made such a big effort this week and made such a good start that I don't want to to be knocked off course by desserts and pub lunches. How does everyone else cope with visits like this and am I panicking for nothing?

Tried to talk to my OH about how I was feeling about this weekend and what a huge step this week has been for me but he got completely the wrong end of the stick and thought I was moaning about seeing his parents. Blaaar...

That's not to say he hasn;t been supportive - completely the opposite; he's been wonderful.

I think if I was a few weeks down the line I might be a bit more ok with it but I'm just really worried I'll not be able to deflect the 'go on you have to have a treat sometimes..' and the 'go on, it's the weekend' comments.

Because I am having treats; but low calorie ones and within my routine. But I don't know what to say to them about it - I know I'm being selfish and moany but I feel like I need to be selfish for a little bit so that in the long term I have things under control and straight in my head.

Or maybe I'm just being a *****.

Sorry for the down-beat post everyone and I'll let you know how I get on.

:(

Hi SugarB, Think you need to be upfront with your intentions and from then on they will be aware of where you are coming from.
The old saying comes to mind - "Do unto others as you would do to yourself" So you have to look after yoursefl first in order to be in a fit state to look after others. You have every right to be able to say no and mean no, and if they take offence then a few quiet words should ease the way.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing how you got on....:)

Try not to worry too much :)

Think of how hard you've worked this week and how well you've done and it should make chosing better options easier. With pub lunches there's almost always at least a few healthy options...... baked potato, ham/tuna salad, even chosing a 'regular' meal from the kids menu so you get a smaller portion? When it comes to dessert time just say no, not for me thanks with a big :D and be content in the fact that you feel ever so slightly smug and look forward to your first weigh in.

You can do this, you just need a little more faith in yourself ;)

Good Morning Everyone :)

Well after my miserable Friday (for which I apologise!) I'm back to my normal happy self. I think it helps that it's a gorgeous day, and I'm sure it definitely helps that I've lost 8lbs at my first weigh in! (yaaay!)

I'm expecting the losses to slow down after this one but as a first result it's really spurred me on - and I've hit my mini-target already, so I'm setting a new one; another 7lbs by my birthday on 15th April. Hopefully I'll be able to do it.

The weekend didn't go so badly in the end; but I did have to waver from my rigid routine but even so I was still able to choose the right things and not give in which really is a bit of an acheivement so it was worth it really.

Good luck to everyone else weighing-in today and thanks again for your comments and encouragement - it is soooooo helpful!!

aims xxx

yay fantastic weight loss :)

well done you! :D

So pleased your weekend went well, just have to look for low fat options in situations like that I think ;)

No need to apologise for down day, we all have them, this dieting malarkey is full of ups and downs with our moods AND our weight :rolleyes:

have a great day and congratulations again on a fab weight loss!

:woohoo:

:0clapper: :0clapper: :0clapper:

Wow, what an excellent result :D Well done you!

Good morning everyone :)

Ok so I'm well into my 2nd week now and it's going well...except that I am ill with a throat infection. This isn't that much of a hinderance as my appetite has disappeared and it hurts to swallow. But I'm a bit worried that I'll get another bit loss this week but then put some of it back on next week when I can eat again.

Anyway that aside I'm having a good week eating lots of soup. But I'm lacking in energy - I have none, but this is down to being a bit under the weather.

One thing I wanted to talk about is the Dukan Diet - I;ve been reading about it; I went to the website to calculate my true weight and found it to be 172lbs which is about 12st 2lbs. This immediately struck with me because around 12st is a weight I've always imagined I'd be happy at. And that weight calculation also takes into account your bone size; and apparently I'm heavy boned. I dunno...that weight..it just seems right.So I think I might make that my first long term goal.
In terms of the actual Dukan regime though; it seems too much like the Atkins, ie too restrictive and too meat (protein) heavy. I like having a rounded, healthy diet - it's really suiting me and I find it easier to manage than cutting whole food groups out of my diet.

Anyway that's it for my slightly befuddled ramblings today :)

Hope you're all going well.

Thanks,
Amy.

Morning everyone :)

It's Monday once again which means weigh in day....and I lost 4lbs! Which is good.

How is everyone else doing? I've been so busy with work and stuff over the last week but hopefully I'll be able to post a bit more and get up to date with everyone else this week :)

Have a good day!! :)

xx

Back