The long journey to the real me

I think you and I are quite similar in our approach to food, we worry about calories in but then don't want to go overboard. :confused: I have been thinking this week that I actually think that this 'starvation' is actually crap. If it's true then that would mean that no-one ever died of starvation as your body would slow right down to preserve itself. We know that's not true, people DIE of starvation and look at the poor people in concentration camps, just skin and bones. I am going to do some research on it. Do you want me to let you know what I find out? I think it could be the same as the muscle weighs heavier than fat which is more rubbish myths. A lb is a lb of anything!

Please do let me know what you find out. Aren't there people who eat very low calorie diets for health benefits - people who practically fast because it increases their life span? I'll look that up as well.

I agree that we both seem to get very involved with the numbers - it's so hard not to, and there's a part of me that actually is really happy about the days when I only have between 600-1000 calories. I know this is not productive long-term though, and can lead to the kind of obsessive eating that I've experienced in the past. Although I am trying to lose weight, I am also trying to establish a way of eating that I can continue long into the future, which I hope will free me from the problems I've had with food, and allow me to just enjoy it. Eating a vegan diet is sort of separate from all this - that's just my beliefs and ethics and I don't think that eating this way restricts me.

Usually I only use the number from my official weigh in, but I weighed myself again today, as I've had TOM, and am going to use today's weight of 10st 9 and 3/4 lbs as my official weigh in.

This means I have 2 pounds and 3/4 to lose in about three weeks, but I am going to readjust my goal slightly. My goal for my nxt weigh in is 10st 8lb, and I'd like to be 10st 5lb by the 1st July. That seems feasible to me - that's just under 5 pounds to lose in three weeks.

Food so far today:

HeA: Kara coconut milk (works in coffee without curdling! Yippee!)
HeB: olive oil
Superfree: tomatoes, onion, apple, nectarine, strawberries, tomato passata, aubergine, courgette, onion, pepper
Free: orzo pasta, jacket potato
Syns: orzo pasta salad (1.5)

Also just realised - if I went to meetings, I would have just got my 1 and a half stone award!

Last edited:
Pleased with my food intake yesterday - loads of fresh fruit and veg, no processed except for the coconut milk. Going to be similarly healthy today - it's just a case of being organized for me - making sure I have time to get to the supermarket and cook.

Food so far today:

Hea: soya milk
Heb:
Superfree:
Free: baked beans
Syns: sausages (4)

Last edited:
I'm never organised, well i write a food plan each week, but I'm suppose to write on a wednesday so we can get any stuff we need when shopping on thursdays...but I always forget to write it on a wednesday, I couldn't be more unorganised if i tried :p

Usually I only use the number from my official weigh in, but I weighed myself again today, as I've had TOM, and am going to use today's weight of 10st 9 and 3/4 lbs as my official weigh in.

This means I have 2 pounds and 3/4 to lose in about three weeks, but I am going to readjust my goal slightly. My goal for my nxt weigh in is 10st 8lb, and I'd like to be 10st 5lb by the 1st July. That seems feasible to me - that's just under 5 pounds to lose in three weeks.

Food so far today:

HeA: Kara coconut milk (works in coffee without curdling! Yippee!)
HeB: olive oil
Superfree: tomatoes, onion, apple, nectarine, strawberries, tomato passata, aubergine, courgette, onion, pepper
Free: orzo pasta, jacket potato
Syns: orzo pasta salad (1.5)

Also just realised - if I went to meetings, I would have just got my 1 and a half stone award!

Well done on the loss hon, being a bit dense as not sure how much it was? :/ Sorry about your coffee! The trick to it is to put it in first before the hot water. Some coffee is worse than others for some reason. Try heating it slightly too and pouring it over a spoon. But if you like the coconut milk stick with it obviously lol it's just in case you wanted to try it with soya milk :D

Well done on the loss hon, being a bit dense as not sure how much it was? :/ Sorry about your coffee! The trick to it is to put it in first before the hot water. Some coffee is worse than others for some reason. Try heating it slightly too and pouring it over a spoon. But if you like the coconut milk stick with it obviously lol it's just in case you wanted to try it with soya milk :D

Thanks! Lost a total of 1 and 1/4lb this week, so that's nearly 9lbs in the last three weeks, which I am pleased with.

Cheers for the soya tips - haven't been able to get it right. The coconut is good in coffee as it has a mild flavour, but I currently have three types of non-dairy milk in my fridge, and would like to whittle that down to one!

Any joy on your starvation theory research?

I'm never organised, well i write a food plan each week, but I'm suppose to write on a wednesday so we can get any stuff we need when shopping on thursdays...but I always forget to write it on a wednesday, I couldn't be more unorganised if i tried :p

Oh I would find it impossible to plan a whole week in advance! Generally I end up doing a little shop most days, or doing a couple of days at a time. Not the most efficient way, but waaaaay easier!

Food so far today:

Heb: bread
Superfree:
Syns: sausages (4) soya yoghurt (2) vegan honey (2) vegan 'butter' (3)

Planning to have fruit and yoghurt between now and dinner.

Kind of lost it a little bit - felt really hungry and ended up eating fake honey on toast with sunflower spread. Was delicious, but it felt like a binge, which is messing with my head a little bit because:

a) I felt a little out of control while eating - I've been very controlled the past three weeks, and that slipped.
b) 2 slices of toast is not a binge - it probably shouldn't have freaked me out as much as it did. Some days I feel hungrier than others, and within the guidelines of SW, I should allow myself to eat enough to feel satisfied without panicking.

Thanks! Lost a total of 1 and 1/4lb this week, so that's nearly 9lbs in the last three weeks, which I am pleased with.

Cheers for the soya tips - haven't been able to get it right. The coconut is good in coffee as it has a mild flavour, but I currently have three types of non-dairy milk in my fridge, and would like to whittle that down to one!

Any joy on your starvation theory research?

Ah well a variety that you like is good, unless it's going to waste that is. Does your hubbie not drink it too? There is SO much more choice now, when I went vegan I didn't find a soya milk that I liked for about 6 months so no brews ;) At the moment we have the hazelnut, soya, coconut and hemp in the fridge. :D
With regards to 'my' 'theory' I found this link and the links in her blog are interesting too. Fatty Fights Back: MTYHBUSTERS: Starvation Mode what do you think? It appears you would only start to lose muscle (well have it eaten :eek:) or get really ill when you really REALLY starve yourself. Psychologically however, different matter. I think if I did that for any length of time I would be eating anything and everything (vegan)! Of course when you start to eat again unless you introduced yourself slowly to food you would more than likely just pile it all back on and then some. Probably why many people do say that they find that happened to them. Micci posted this link for me to read too: They Starved So That Others Be Better Fed: Remembering Ancel Keys and the Minnesota Experiment

Food so far today:

Superfree:
Syns: sausages (4) soya yoghurt (2) vegan honey (2) vegan 'butter' (3)

Planning to have fruit and yoghurt between now and dinner.

Kind of lost it a little bit - felt really hungry and ended up eating fake honey on toast with sunflower spread. Was delicious, but it felt like a binge, which is messing with my head a little bit because:

a) I felt a little out of control while eating - I've been very controlled the past three weeks, and that slipped.
b) 2 slices of toast is not a binge - it probably shouldn't have freaked me out as much as it did. Some days I feel hungrier than others, and within the guidelines of SW, I should allow myself to eat enough to feel satisfied without panicking.

Aww :bighug:it's all good, two slices of toast isn't a binge, you are right but I know the feeling hon, so understand what you mean. Are you having agave? what do you think?

QUOTE=Vegan*4*Life;5273628]Ah well a variety that you like is good, unless it's going to waste that is. Does your hubbie not drink it too? There is SO much more choice now, when I went vegan I didn't find a soya milk that I liked for about 6 months so no brews ;) At the moment we have the hazelnut, soya, coconut and hemp in the fridge. :D
With regards to 'my' 'theory' I found this link and the links in her blog are interesting too. Fatty Fights Back: MTYHBUSTERS: Starvation Mode what do you think? It appears you would only start to lose muscle (well have it eaten :eek:) or get really ill when you really REALLY starve yourself. Psychologically however, different matter. I think if I did that for any length of time I would be eating anything and everything (vegan)! Of course when you start to eat again unless you introduced yourself slowly to food you would more than likely just pile it all back on and then some. Probably why many people do say that they find that happened to them. Micci posted this link for me to read too: They Starved So That Others Be Better Fed: Remembering Ancel Keys and the Minnesota Experiment

Aww :bighug:it's all good, two slices of toast isn't a binge, you are right but I know the feeling hon, so understand what you mean. Are you having agave? what do you think?[/QUOTE]

Arghhhh no brews!!??!! Now THAT is dedication! I am currently enjoying sweetened - I intend to drink more unsweetened, but I actually prefer sweetened in tea to cow's milk, which is a massive bonus! Apparently there is a special brew designed for soya milk (not managed to track it down yet) but through my experiements, I have found some blends are better than others if you're not using cow's milk. Unfortunately hubs is still on cow's milk, which is not going to change, I don't think. However, everything I cook is vegan, so at least dairy and meat have been cut out of half of his diet. He's also started to edge towards the veggie option more, so while that's far from perfect, less money towards those industries is better than nothing.

I am going to read the link as soon as I finish writing this - sounds interesting, and I agree with what you say about the psychology of it. I think restriction can only last so long, oe be so strict until you snap and end up overeating. That is certainly the case for me.

I have tried agave, but at the moment I am having a honey substitute called Sweet Freedom - never was bothered about honey, then all of a sudden I fancy some, so I got this. It's made from fruit sugars, and is tasty and low GI.

The toast thing was a bit nuts. I think I finally got to a point where I was absolutely sick of noting every single thing I ate. I was also sooo hungry that day, so was feeling a bit down. Hopefully got over that little mental blip now. I also think I was maybe putting too much pressure on myself to hit certain targets, and I am going to let go of that, and revert back to my target of 10st 7lb by the 1st July. I have a feeling that the next three pounds are going to be quite slow-going. Hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.

Yesterday's food;

HeA: soya milk (including soya latte from Starbucks)
HeB: bread
Superfree: onion, peppers, tomtoes, banana
Free: pasta, natural soya yog
Syns: sausages (4) condiments (2) olive oil (2) vegan honey (3)

Found a free soya yoghurt - thought it might be gross, but that I could jazz it up with fruit etc, but it was absolutely delicious! Was a bit of a boost to the diet to find something so tasty, satisfying and free.

Having company for tea tonight, so decided to flexi-syn. Been getting a bit fixated and overstressed with diet, so i think a meal off may help. All day i have stuck to sw, I will have some extra syns for dinner though. Having a healthy free meal, I will have some cake for pudding though; and maybe some crisps. Not too much though.

Food so far:

Heb: Bread
Superfree: onion, nectarine, blueberries, strawberries, red pepper, onion, lettuce, tomato
Free: natural soya yog, rice noodles,
Syns: SAUsages (4)

Had flexi-syns after that - not actually sure exactly how many I had, but I had some crisps, a few pieces of tempura and half a vegan cupcake. Everything else I had for dinner was free or superfree. I estimate my total syns for the day to be 35, which is pretty good as I had quite light food the rest of the day. Calorie wise, I probably didn't go much over maintenance, so shouldn't see a gain from the flexi-day.

One thing I did note...and if you do not want TMI, look away now...although my diet has probably been the healthiest it's ever been recently, with loads of fibre, there has been some constipation. Looking it up online, it seems a few vegans have the same problem - the issue being there probably hasn't been enough fat in my diet. Well, I ended up eating a lot more fat than usual last night, and it certainly, erm, got stuff moving along. So hopefully that may help - may explain why the scale hasn't shifted so much in the last week and a half, if I have been a bit, well, bunged up. Feeling a bit lighter today in any case, so even if that doesn't get the scale moving, at least I feel a bit better.

Last edited:
Food so far today:

HeA: soya milk
HeB: bread
Superfree: mushrooms, garlic, blueberries, nectarine, lettuce, tomato, cucumber
Free: natural soya yoghurt, noodles
Syns: fry Light (1/2) coconut milk (2) 1/2 vegan cupcake (12)

Am probably going to 'spend' my syns on a vegan cupcake leftover from last night. Couldn't manage a whole one after my meal, as it was very sweet and rich, but enjoyed what I had.

(not sure bout syns for the cake, so overestimated).

Last edited:
Feeling blue today.

I seem to have real problems around food, and I don't know why. All I've had today is some crisps (5 syns worth) which was such a bad choice. Absolutely nothing healthy or nutritious about it. Also, the last week, I seem to have fluctuated. Upwards. Even with a flexi-syn day, my calories were below maintenance, so there's no reason why I should be gaining. I keep going through phases of thinking I'm fine as I am, then thinking about how horribly fat my body is. I basically seem to be regressing to my 16 year old self. It's taken some control to not indulge in the binge-purge cycle. And I feel guilty for wallowing - it's not like I have any real problems, I'm just letting myself get obsessed.

I do the same, if i don't plan in advance i would probably go back to the habit of eating nothing for meals and then eating junk food in the middle.

I do the same, if i don't plan in advance i would probably go back to the habit of eating nothing for meals and then eating junk food in the middle.

Thanks Ally, sometimes it's good to hear that I'm not the only person who worries about the plan. I also have a tendency to not eat for ages, then just eat rubbish, which is so silly, because I actually love the healthy meals I've been having recently, way tastier than junk. It seems i have a lot of bad habits that I'm still having to work on.

Thanks Ally, sometimes it's good to hear that I'm not the only person who worries about the plan. I also have a tendency to not eat for ages, then just eat rubbish, which is so silly, because I actually love the healthy meals I've been having recently, way tastier than junk. It seems i have a lot of bad habits that I'm still having to work on.

Not the only one, some habits i struggled to break, and still struggle with some. remember you don't have to stick to plan 100% all the time though. I nearly led myself down the path of an eating disorder a few months ago, cos I was sticking to the diet to much i was refusing to go out for meals and just out for the day unless i could take my own food. The problem is finding the right balance :)

Food so far today:

HeB:
Superfree: banana, strawberries, tomato passata, onion, courgette
Free: pasta, meat free mince
Syns: crisps (5) vegan cupcake (1o)

Planning to have pasta with vegan mince and tomato sauce and other veggies later - should be hearty, healthy and filling.

Trying to be philosophical about the scale - I've lost 21 pounds, it's coming off, but there are bound to be little blips but as far as the bigger picture is concerned, it is working.

Last edited:
Tried to weigh in this morning, but the scales registered multiple weights between 10st 12lb and 10st 5.5lb, so I think it's fair to say the sclaes rea broken, and I will weigh in when I have bought a new set! Tempted to wait until next week, but not sure I can hold out that long.

Food so far today:

Superfree: 2 small onions
Free:
Syns: sausages and condiments (5)

Back