The Minimins Running Team - Runaholics Anonymous

The minute I go over 10k I lose a couple of toenails!

I've been running on and off for a while but struggle to be consistent. I have spent most of this year off with a stress fracture but am v pleased to be back in the game. Am building up again now, but have lost any semblance of speed and am now averaging 11 min miles :( I need to shift some lbs!

What's your next goal after the 10k?

Good luck KentCat! I've been poo, not be running since Wednesday, every day I've gone to bed thinking I'll go tomorrow and when my alarm goes off at 6am I just can not be bothered! Got lots of uni work on at the moment which is stressing me out. Handing a big chunk of it in tomorrow though so fingers crossed will be able to get back out there soon! X

I didn't make it out ? no one or anything to blame but my own mood. I was sullen all day, no idea why. I'm running home from the train station tomorrow night so will make the 50K in April challenge I set myself

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Welcome to the group dietninja. Well done on your first 10k opal lily - I did mine about a fortnight ago.

I made it out but only on a (just under) 5k. I didn't feel in the mood and a little off colour.

Eek @ JennieCakes - I've not got mine yet. That makes it feel scarily near. Think I'd better try a longish run tomorrow night! 10k hurt a bit the one time I've done it so think I'll do 8/9k!

Are you tapering next week? What's your planned time?

Welcome to the group dietninja. Well done on your first 10k opal lily - I did mine about a fortnight ago.

I made it out but only on a (just under) 5k. I didn't feel in the mood and a little off colour.

Eek @ JennieCakes - I've not got mine yet. That makes it feel scarily near. Think I'd better try a longish run tomorrow night! 10k hurt a bit the one time I've done it so think I'll do 8/9k!

Are you tapering next week? What's your planned time?

I am really such an amateur! Getting to learn all the running lingo as I go along :) Tapering is cutting back on mileage/distance the week before a race right? Do you need to do that before a 10k? I didn't really to be honest but plan to for the half marathon!

Have you been running for long? xx

Haha, I have no idea! I've only been running for just under a year and it's my first 10k race. Good question- is it necessary?

Sort of. For a 10k you probably wouldn't call it a taper but you may want to do a shorter long run the week before and less miles in the week running up to the event so you are running on fresh legs.

It depends on your normal training, but for example, I generally half my mileage the week before a race, and have an additional rest day. And def no exercise DVDS that include lots of lunges & squats. That's a mistake I made once...

So training in a normal week might look like:
S - long run 6 -8 miles
M - rest
T - easy 3
W - 4 miles interval or hills
Th - rest
F - 4 miles tempo / race pace
S - 2 miles easy

A pre race week might look like:

S - easy 4
M - rest
T - easy 2
W - easy 3
Th - rest
F - rest
S - 2 miles at race pace to get legs turning over
S - 10k race

Hope this helps :)

Hi I've just started running again and this thread looks like the perfect motivation to keep me going. Can I join?

Ran 1.5 miles tonight without stopping which is a massive achievement for me!

Amy x

Yer that's what I'm aiming for. My bf does the local Parkrun (in a ridiculously quick time) so I'm hoping to join him at the end of May once I've built my distance up.

Hi I've just started running again and this thread looks like the perfect motivation to keep me going. Can I join? Ran 1.5 miles tonight without stopping which is a massive achievement for me! Amy x

Well done Amy and welcome to the group. You'll get lots of advice, encouragement and sympathy when it hurts from everyone on here.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Still have not been for a run. It's a week now. MUST GO TOMORROW!!!

Sort of. For a 10k you probably wouldn't call it a taper but you may want to do a shorter long run the week before and less miles in the week running up to the event so you are running on fresh legs.

It depends on your normal training, but for example, I generally half my mileage the week before a race, and have an additional rest day. And def no exercise DVDS that include lots of lunges & squats. That's a mistake I made once...

So training in a normal week might look like:
S - long run 6 -8 miles
M - rest
T - easy 3
W - 4 miles interval or hills
Th - rest
F - 4 miles tempo / race pace
S - 2 miles easy

A pre race week might look like:

S - easy 4
M - rest
T - easy 2
W - easy 3
Th - rest
F - rest
S - 2 miles at race pace to get legs turning over
S - 10k race

Hope this helps :)

This is exactly what I needed. Unsure of how far and how often I should run before the race.

Hi I've just started running again and this thread looks like the perfect motivation to keep me going. Can I join?

Ran 1.5 miles tonight without stopping which is a massive achievement for me!

Amy x

I loved the feeling I got after running a mile non stop!

Which Parkrun does your BF do? I've been twice to my local one and love it... there are some that run it in super fast times and then me who trundles along near the back doing it in 36 mins!

I do 3x a week too, long run Sundays (about 5-6 miles), 5k Tuesday and 3k Thursdays with intervals. Perhaps I'll just skip the intervals and keep the rest.

I do 3x a week too, long run Sundays (about 5-6 miles), 5k Tuesday and 3k Thursdays with intervals. Perhaps I'll just skip the intervals and keep the rest.

That's pretty much what my week is like, only I do 2 5k runs. One a bit slower and one faster! I've never done any intervals - what's that like? xx

Hmmm that's 5 runs a week. I tend to do more like 3 runs a week as I like to do cross training too. I do pilates every Wednesday, a boxing class on a Mon and then normally a spin class in there somewhere too.

Do just do running for exercise in a normal week? xx

Pretty much. I started off before training for the 10k i was doing 2 exercise classes a week. But now I run 3 or 4 times a week because of training. I have to say I do prefer the running as I can fit it around work and how I'm feeling lol. But I could do with the exercise classes in a few weeks to help tone up a bit more I think.

That's good to know. I'll probably start back at classes fairly soon I think.

I loved the feeling I got after running a mile non stop!

Which Parkrun does your BF do? I've been twice to my local one and love it... there are some that run it in super fast times and then me who trundles along near the back doing it in 36 mins!

He has been to a few depending on where he's working...he's one of the super quick ones too! About 18mins usually. I will definitely be one of the ones hobbling to the finish!

Back