The most hated 'fat' word?

goingtobeskinnysoon

Silver Member
I got thinking about this after seeing another post. You know when people try and refer to someone but don't want to say 'the fat one'? My most hated phrase is 'the big girl'. Used to get it a lot (I'm sure at least partly because I'm tall) especially from guys in bars and just hate it with a passion. Sometimes just wish they'd say fat! Any other particular depressing/annoying/frustrating ones? X

I actually don't like the word fat and I'd never use it, it's an awful word.

I think the big girl is better than the fat girl, we're opposite on this one!!

yeah being called fat is the worst, i think i could cope with being called anything else. But for someone to outright call me "the fat girl" would be enough to knock me down

I think it depends on how people say it, I've heard people refer to someone as being big and its not because they've been trying to avoid being nasty-they are being nasty with it. However if someone says it and they aren't clearly being nasty with it then I don't think its really a problem.

I think to just come out and say someone is the fat one is really offensive.

I actually hate it when people say curvy instead of fat, as that's really not what curvy is. I used to get called curvy and it used to really annoy and upset me as I felt like I was being patronised, as I knew I wasn't curvy!

if you're fat you're fat

I'm fat, tough ****, I made me this big so there you go

now, I'm not so fat and pretty soon I'll be what people perceive as "normal" and the pressure for this is mine, not theirs

you can control what people say and their perception of you - it's in your hands

fortunately I'm not particularly sensitive. If you are - there's an assist to your willpower right there!

tough love girls - damn right!

To be honest the only time I've been called fat was when I was younger (around 15) and I was a 12, it really hurt and what annoys me now is looking back I wasn't fat, but when I was fat people called me curvy and I would actually argue with them and say no I'm not curvy, I'm fat, I'd love to be curvy!!!

if you're fat you're fat

I'm fat, tough ****, I made me this big so there you go

now, I'm not so fat and pretty soon I'll be what people perceive as "normal" and the pressure for this is mine, not theirs

you can control what people say and their perception of you - it's in your hands

fortunately I'm not particularly sensitive. If you are - there's an assist to your willpower right there!

tough love girls - damn right!

Well that's one point of view, still everyone is entitled to feel bad about being called something if it upsets them. Sometimes 'tough love' is just rudeness in disguise! ;)

I don't like being called fat (even if I know I am) I just don't like it. I got called fat at school - looking back I KNOW I clearly wasn't (unlike now!) but it really upset me and led to some issues. It was bullying.

I'm not entirely sure you can control other people's perceptions of you, you can try to control how their perceptions affect you and to improve yourself for YOU - because that is the most important thing. I'm not about to be blaming myself for other people's unpleasantness though.

Plump... Hate it!!! Arrgh!

When you hear someone describing a larger girl as

BUBBLY

To be honest if someone called me fat, I'd prefere it than any other term which is skirting around the issue.
I am a size 14 and to me that is ginormous!

Well that's one point of view, still everyone is entitled to feel bad about being called something if it upsets them. Sometimes 'tough love' is just rudeness in disguise! ;)

I don't like being called fat (even if I know I am) I just don't like it. I got called fat at school - looking back I KNOW I clearly wasn't (unlike now!) but it really upset me and led to some issues. It was bullying.

I'm not entirely sure you can control other people's perceptions of you, you can try to control how their perceptions affect you and to improve yourself for YOU - because that is the most important thing. I'm not about to be blaming myself for other people's unpleasantness though.

Agreed - I consider myself to be overweight, not fat. To me, there is a difference. Tough love is rudeness.

Of course, I don't want anyone calling me fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No one wants that.

Agreed - I consider myself to be overweight, not fat. To me, there is a difference. Tough love is rudeness.

well I consider myself obese, which is what the doctor told me - so I decided to do something about it!

I had no intention of being rude, blunt maybe, direct definitely, so apologies if my comments have come off wrong

good luck with your plans

and good luck with those thin skins too.....;)

and good luck with those thin skins too.....;)

No thin skin here Rod.

I don't think YOU were being rude either, I appreciate what you were saying, it's about doing something about it for yourself. I would imagine that's why we are all on a weight loss site?? However, there are plenty of people out there who are rude and these might be some of the words they use to do it.

Having an alternative point of view isn't having a thin skin, it's just a differing point of view to yours.

I think it can depend whos saying it and why. There is no need for most people to comment most of the time! Being called fat is rather blunt and no factual I would have thought as though I may have plenty of fat there is more to me than that.
It can be uncomfortable being called cuddly and bubbly and such as often the person saying it is just trying to cope with their difficulties in saying that you are overweight and its difficult to come back at that with how they may well make you feel.

Well when I was at my biggest I was in the ''morbidly obese'' category. I think it is an absolute horrible word, I would rather get called anything but that...!!

I think it depends on who says what and how it's said.. and also it's a personal thing, like some of you have said, you would rather be called fat instead of plump or big instead of fat.. in my own opinion, i think for women it's more upsetting as alot more words can be used to discribe you, curvy, plump, bubbly, voluptuous and on and on. but with men (in my experience) it's more straight to the point, fat guy / big guy etc.

This doesn't mean that less choice of discriptive words hurt any less then a dictionary full of them.

i find 'fat' the worst, mostly because it's straight to the point.. FAT!! *boom* there it is fat, your fat, he's fat, she's fat, they're fat.. thats what i am right right now, it's not who i want to be, dream of being.

I am a happy 30 (something.. sshh lol) year old man, that is enjoying his life, oh! and i happen to be fat at the moment.. i'm working on being not-so fat and your 'kind' words don't help, so please call me the big guy but don't get used to it, one day it will be that fit guy or like just recently i was called 'average'.. so i can only hope that one day will be just 'that guy over there'

words hurt, but i don't think it's intentional (well not 9 times out of 10) i think people just don't think about how these words will effect you.. try not to take it too much to heart, use it as motivation to one day prove them wrong and change their opinion of you.

I may be going on a tangent here but my new pet hate is when anyone finds out you're on sw they say 'omg WHY? You're not fat!'. I genuinely wish these people wouldn't speak. It's not helpful, it's patronising and To be honest a simple 'good for you' would be much more pleasant.
Maybe I'm just a moan!

Back