The most hated 'fat' word?

Well when I was at my biggest I was in the ''morbidly obese'' category. I think it is an absolute horrible word, I would rather get called anything but that...!!

If you plan on having children after 30 then brace yourself. :D
I was 4 months pregnant when I celebrated my 30th birthday and was kindly called a "geriatric mother". I think it's supposed to refer to mothers over 35. Perhaps pregnancy didn't agree with me!

I'm not bothered by stuff people say as most people never think of anyone but themselves!

What gets me, and this has happened alot as I read so much is when an overweight woman is described in a book!
Two examples:
Rebecca Topes wrote a book where she had a character who was 20 stone and lumbered about huffing and puffing unhappy and was obviously hideous for being 20 stone!

Jack Sheffield had a character who was 20 stone and she also lumbered about virtually rolling around the school!

Now I used to be over 20 stone and I don't feel I rolled around getting in everyone's way! In fact I was very active in my job and running about after people!
I won't read anymore of Rebecca Topes books, but Jack Sheffield clearly has affection for this character so I've forgiven him!

Overweight men are rarely (I have never seen it) described in terms of their weight!!!!!

Shirleen said:
I'm not bothered by stuff people say as most people never think of anyone but themselves!

What gets me, and this has happened alot as I read so much is when an overweight woman is described in a book!
Two examples:
Rebecca Topes wrote a book where she had a character who was 20 stone and lumbered about huffing and puffing unhappy and was obviously hideous for being 20 stone!

Jack Sheffield had a character who was 20 stone and she also lumbered about virtually rolling around the school!

Now I used to be over 20 stone and I don't feel I rolled around getting in everyone's way! In fact I was very active in my job and running about after people!
I won't read anymore of Rebecca Topes books, but Jack Sheffield clearly has affection for this character so I've forgiven him!

Overweight men are rarely (I have never seen it) described in terms of their weight!!!!!

Just re-read the reviews on Amazon and Rebecca Tope actually said this woman was 'borderline human' and that her face was typical of fat people with small eyes puckered mouth and many chins! When I read it I felt like going to punch ms Tope and the publishers!

overweight men are described as

"big guy"

"big fella"

"jolly"

"stocky"

"sturdy"

"chunky" (I have known loads of lads called nicknamed Chunk or Chunky)

and of course, the very coarse one not for public airing!

this thread is very interesting, well done to the OP

but the thing I can't get my head around is the sensitivity....

if you are on here you are or have been overweight - which means you are fat! I'm fat, first to admit it.

you can't deny it, you don't deny it as you are a member here and you are clearly trying to do something about it - which is awesome!!

so why do you worry what people say? sod 'em, it's your life to live as you choose. its just words!

DO NOT LET THESE WORDS DETRACT YOU FROM YOUR AMBITION!

Personally, I view the word "fat" as just a small piece of honesty that used correctly will burn more calories for you in the long run

Fat = lazy
Fat = greedy
Fat = sweaty
Fat = greasy
Fat= ugly
Fat = disgusting
Fat = slow
Fat = stupid
Fat = easy target
Fat = clown

I'm not any of these things....well maybe 5 and 10 lol!
But this is what fat means to people!

I may be going on a tangent here but my new pet hate is when anyone finds out you're on sw they say 'omg WHY? You're not fat!'. I genuinely wish these people wouldn't speak. It's not helpful, it's patronising and To be honest a simple 'good for you' would be much more pleasant.
Maybe I'm just a moan!

I don't think that's a moan, I agree totally! I really don't appreciate being told 'Oooh you don't need to lose weight', when the fact is I'm classed as obese and need to lose weight for my health (as well as to look fabulous) ;). I'll get this from naturally slim friends and friends who could do with eating better. I really don't think it helps.

I detest 'big girl' because in a group of friends it pigeon holes you as the big, tall, 'bubbly' one. (Another detested word.) For some reason this can even equate to being a bully or fierce and not to be messed with, when I wouldn't hurt a fly!

I also can't stand when girls advocate that they're 'chubby' and 'curvy' (curvy equalling overweight not naturally curvy). I'm all for body confidence and feeling beautiful no matter what, but the bottom line is your health is being seriously jeopardised! In the past I've tried thinking I'll just be 'the chubby one' but frankly I don't want the high blood pressure and I do want the smaller jeans!! Health all the way!

My mum and I do SW and we call each other 'tubs' in jest but my 'tubs' is 7 stone lighter than she was. That's just our little joke. :) However I think a horrible comment from a relative or friend cuts deeper than any stranger's comment could.

this thread is very interesting, well done to the OP

but the thing I can't get my head around is the sensitivity....

if you are on here you are or have been overweight - which means you are fat! I'm fat, first to admit it.

you can't deny it, you don't deny it as you are a member here and you are clearly trying to do something about it - which is awesome!!

so why do you worry what people say? sod 'em, it's your life to live as you choose. its just words!

DO NOT LET THESE WORDS DETRACT YOU FROM YOUR AMBITION!

Personally, I view the word "fat" as just a small piece of honesty that used correctly will burn more calories for you in the long run
Why would anyone need to be honest in that way? and I wish that every time I had been called fat it had burned calories!
Weight is a sensitive issue for lots of people

Rod the Bass,
I agree with your post so far in that I am here because I am fat however the rest I have trouble following.

You must be a very strong person, for me, someone calling me fat has never caused me to go out and burn calories...instead it's caused me to cry in my room and eat chocolate. Obviously not the most productive way to handle it but like many people here, when I'm upset (or at least before I started SW) I turn to food as a comfort. In my head I know it does me no good but that doesn't stop me from doing it. I wish I could have seen it as you do instead of letting it make me feel completely worthless and ongoing confidence issues (God I sound so overly dramatic)

As for using being called fat as somewhat of a 'motivator', I personally don't see it that way. I would think there are very few people who are on this site because someone has called them fat...losing weight is a personal thing and I've come to find you can only do it for yourself.

My MIL used FAT all the time. She's fat, he's fat, the fat lady, doesn't eating potatoes make you fat, I don't want to be fat, you're getting fat etc etc etc

It's awful. I've told her the word is banned in my house!

This is a real funny one I think. Now I have been called "fat, tubby, overweight" by a number of people over the years and it used to really upset me. I think the worst has to be by my nan who called me "ugly fat" her own personal insult. I used to get really upset about it, but I now think that alot of this upset was actual guilt for one allowing myself to get to the weight that I am and two not doing anything about it (at that time)

Since doing SW I have been much less sensitive about this as I now know that I'm losing it, but they can't help being nasty.

I recently had it put into perscpective by a 14 yr old boy. I work in a secondary school and work with many students that have Special educational needs. Jake who has asperges caught me on the SW website and said "Miss you don't need that, you're not that fat. You are a bit chunky though." When other students and staff were appauled on my behalf Jake replied with " Well she is and I'm Ginger"

I suppose the point I'm making is, I am overweight but I also have brown hair and green eyes. I see it as a fact not an insult now.

However I completely understand how it can make people feel. I think that who says it and how it is said makes all the difference. I am however feeling much stronger and positive these days. I think working with teenagers, you need to have a thick skin to survive!

Oh I love kids with Aspergers... They tell you as it is no sugar on top!!! Bless him!
My friend once said to me 'oh Shirl, you may be deaf and need to wear a hearing aid... But I'm Ginger!' with a look of horror on her face, I just fell about laughing!

It does depend on who says it. When I worked in a shop on a rough estate the teens were always calling me Fat this that and the next thing, one night I was called a 'fat *****' so I feigned surprise, patted myself down and wailed 'but I was a size 12 this morning', the nipper laughed and either the insults lessened or I didn't notice so much anymore the curse was broken.

Personally I would hate to have someone just describe me as fat. Or plump, or chunky, or curvy, or tubby or any other variant! Why do people feel the need to comment? I am who I am, and my personality is not defined by my weight. I'd much rather someone insulted me by calling me a cow, or a b**ch, as at least that's a reflection on my personality and would be something that I'd actually give two hoots about!

With regards to my size...whenever I find myself thinking that I'm a bit round I try to remember that round is a shape, and therefore I am in shape! ;)

xx

The only person who has ever called me any name is my mum, I once asked her if I looked fat in what I was wearing and her reply was of course you do you ARE fat your a size 18. She is also an 18 lol at the time it really upset me as I was 18 and it was right before my first new years night out BUT looking back I now prefer to just be fat!

I refer to myself as fat and my hubby says your not fat just bigger! It makes me laugh it's like he thinks the F world will strike me down but I am fat ... I'm also a girl, I'm also pregnant and I'm also a bit mental but none of those words define who I am because I'm just me ?

Cuddly, bubbly, large, big and jolly I don't like lol.

X x x

Rod the Bass,
I agree with your post so far in that I am here because I am fat however the rest I have trouble following.

You must be a very strong person, for me, someone calling me fat has never caused me to go out and burn calories...instead it's caused me to cry in my room and eat chocolate. Obviously not the most productive way to handle it but like many people here, when I'm upset (or at least before I started SW) I turn to food as a comfort. In my head I know it does me no good but that doesn't stop me from doing it. I wish I could have seen it as you do instead of letting it make me feel completely worthless and ongoing confidence issues (God I sound so overly dramatic)

As for using being called fat as somewhat of a 'motivator', I personally don't see it that way. I would think there are very few people who are on this site because someone has called them fat...losing weight is a personal thing and I've come to find you can only do it for yourself.

I'm sorry to hear that peoples comments and unkindness takes you further away from your goals, perhaps I am a strong person, I don't know, maybe I get the jokes in before others? probably!

currently I am enjoying the challenge and considering how to live my life when I achieve my goal, I can't say forever, who knows, I love LOVE LOVE food but I know that currently, with only just over 2 stone lost, I am feeling a lot better.

this spurs me on.

People complimenting my effort (not my appearance, my effort) - this spurs me on

People who take time to give advice and support and encouragement on this forum - this spurs me on

The thought of my children potentially being ashamed of me - this spurs me on

I genuinely could not give a flying F about strangers opinions of my size/weight and appearance. You are 100% spot on when you say that you can only do it for yourself, when you are genuinely ready to do so.

I wish you so much luck in your quest, yep, tough love is my forte' but I impose this on me the most, believe me!

yours in health and success....

I have no problem being called fat, I know I am fat and I know its bad for me and I am the only one who can be blamed for me getting this big, and I'm also the only one who can do anything about it! What I hate being called is 'cuddly' 'snuggable' or 'huggable'. My daughter does this, she says she doesn't want me to loose weight as I won't be as cuddly. I just point out that her dad is thinner, so are the rest of his family and they're all cuddly still! I get that its a term of endearment, but I still don't like it. lol

I think Fat is a factual word - as it actually describes whats under our skins - lots of fat cells! Some of us have more than others agreed.

We are actually overweight/obese, not fat.

I dont like the word at all - but it is said in society about people who dont fit in the 'normal' pocket that society dictates.

x

Back