The Olden Days!

judimac

Mad old Bat with Attitude
To follow up Donnies excellent post. What do us SENIOR girls remember from our past that would stun the younger folk on here?

We had a real French onion seller (complete with beret , striped jumper and strings of onions on his bike)

A chap came round to grind your knives every six months.( In a van)

All the local shops delivered your groceries/meat and there was a laundry van.

Local GPs came out to see you without you having to plead! :p

I am 38 but I find myself talking about "the younger generation" with a bit of disdain from time to time....

Can I add a bit please?

I remember "the man from the pru" coming round to collect the insurance money and being allowed to "choose the pools" for the week!

Being allowed out to play at about 8 years old, just knowing to come home if it starts getting dark.

When going out to get drunk meant getting fairly drunk and feeling really embarrassed if you got completely wasted, rather than proud of myself as they seem to now.

I remember watching "Sarah and Hoppity" and thinking he was really naughty. I remember being in love with Georgie Best and having his pictures on my bedroom wall. I remember crying when the Monkees did an episode where Davy Jones might have to leave the band and come back to England. I remember when we were all shocked, because a girl in our class told us her parents were getting DIVORCED!

And I remember long, long, hot Summers.

I remember watching "Sarah and Hoppity"

OMG I loved!!!!! Sarah and Hoppity
th_Happy01.gif

I remember the pink parafin man, the knife man, the baker in his van, the rag and bone man. I remember when only these people had transport (in our area anyway). The rest of us only had legs and trolley buses.

I remember when parents were never seen in the local park. Kids only area where we all practised how close we could get to death, without actually quite getting there. Trying to get the rocker or the swings to go 'over the top'.

I remember when children listened to childrens songs on the radio and had little knowledge of pop songs, which were for the adults. My boomerang wont come back, pink toothbrush et

I remember when we weren't dressed unless we had a clean hankie :)

I remember jamboree bags with virtually nothing in them, but they were soooo special.

I remember when children at school were put over the teachers lap for a smacked bottom (infant school)

I remember the penny chew that was available via a machine outside the sweet shop.

I remember the farthing!!! and buying a farthing cake on Fridays.

I remember when children listened to childrens songs on the radio and had little knowledge of pop songs, which were for the adults. My boomerang wont come back, pink toothbrush

Little White Bull, The Ugly Duckling and the terrifying Sparky's Magic Piano. :eek:

Little White Bull, The Ugly Duckling and the terrifying Sparky's Magic Piano. :eek:

I loved sparky's magic piano :D

When my boys were little, I got them the tape of the BBC Children's songs including the above and more. They loved them and we'd sing them in the car :)

I remember when the eldest was in Year 1, everyone had to bring in their favourite song, and all brought in pop songs (he's 21 now). Dominick brought in My Boomerang Wont come Back. It was voted the best, the favourite :D I was dead chuffed :)

I remember when the 'rag and bone' would come into the street with his horse and cart collecting scrap, jumble, old clothes etc, I once gave away my mom's best cardigan just so I could have a goldfish off him- I got into very hot water over that!!!!!

And my grandpa would run into the street with a bucket and shovel if the horse 'pooped' - it was good fertiliser for his roses, LOL....

We used to have a breadman and a milkman delivering to the door each day.

I remember the knife sharpener too Judi, but my grandpa used to sharpen the carving knife on the back step every Sunday so that he could carve the joint.

I remember going into the local grocery shop when I was a small child and being served sugar in a blue bag, tea leaves were measured out too, best butter and cheese was weighed out, it was all 'one to one' service, there were no supermarkets then.

I also remember the 'Provident' cheque man calling every week, my mother paid a small sum every week, and every Christmas she had her cheque and was able to spend it in allocated shops - it was a kind of saving.

We always had a small bottle of milk at school each morning and a Jammie Dodger biscuit, and we all took it in turn's to be milk 'monitor' because you got an extra bottle of milk for doing it.

And we wrote with a proper nibbed pen and ink - I remember one term I was the 'ink' monitor and had to keep the ink wells topped up every day.

When I passed my test and had my own car at 19, the garages all had someone to fill up your car, there was no self service then.

I'm sure there are lot's more things too, so I will sleep on it.

If I say that I remember our milk being delivered by horse and cart, will you still let me join in?...!!!

And having to remember Mum's Co-op 'divy' number if I was left to pay him, 182282 - I think it's engraved on my brain!

And the knife sharpener man, and the Rag and Bone man with his horse and cart - though we sometimes get a horse and cart for that even today!

I also remember the man who came round to light the LAMPOSTS every night - we always had electricity indoors, but not in the street! And talking of lamps, the SMELL and the hiss of the gas lamps on caravan holidays!

Then there was the snow that fell every winter, lots and lots of it. Waking up in the morning with thick frost on the INSIDE of the windows!

The FREEDOM that we had to play out anywhere, so long as we came straight back for meals when called - by means of a cow horn Mum had aquired from somewhere, which carried for 'miles' in the surrounding hills.

Then there were the big vans at Christmas time, with "Christmas Delivery" on the windscreen, and the excitement of seeing who's houses it would stop at...

There were 42 of us in my Primary Class, and I don't remember anyone who had a CAR - and the girl who went to SPAIN for a holiday, it was like someone going to the moon!

The village shops like the Butchers and the Dairy with their tiled fronts (outside), the General Store, which smelt wonderful, a mixture of parafin and shoe polish I expect, where they tested EACH lightbulb before you bought it, and you could run your hands through the dustbins of chicken food, grass seed etc - bliss!

NOTHING but NOTHING was prepacked. You queued at each counter to have your cheese, bacon, butter and even biscuits weighed out - such excitement when we got the broken ones, and the tins were painted bright colours, and used at Guide Camp as seats...

The cake shop where we were allowed to choose a home made cake once a week, which cost a shilling and a halfpenny for five, and the Tuck Shop with its Blackjacks, Aniseed Balls, Shrimps, Chews, Liquorice etc, all loose, and 8 for 1d or something ridiculous. Long before any of us had our own 'fridge (or Hoover or washing machine or central heating for that matter!) the enterprising Tuck Shop owner made 1d ice lollies, and the disappointment when he sold out...

Oh, and the Co-op with its 'modern' cash system, where the assistant put your money in a little pouch thing, and 'pinged' it along an overhead wire to the cash desk high up in one corner, and you had to wait for it to be 'pinged' back with the change - how she knew which one went where I could never understand, there was a spider's web of
'ping' wires all over the ceiling, absolutely fascinating!

OMG, I've only just realised how LONG this is - sorry Judi, I don't think you asked for a book...!!!

We had a outside loo that we shared with two other families, and a tin bath too, my dad used to go down the pub on Saturday nights, and my mother and I used to have our baths by the fire, and she used to rinse my hair till it 'squeaked' so that it was clean (I still do that today) dad used to empty the bath when he came in, I can remember all the kettles steaming on the stove so that we had plenty of hot water - thank goodness for showers these days, LOL.....

Just reading your posts has brought back so many memories.

We had a tin bath and an outside toilet. We had a kind of boiler to heat up the hot water and it was ladled into the bath. Friday was bath night.

We were in an upstairs flat so going to the toilet in the dark was tricky and especially in winter.

No central heating in those days.

More freedom. Great school dinners. No supermarkets. Proper prams.

Those were the days

Irene xx

I remember the little corner shop on our street (all streets had them) and I would have my Friday penny (½ a pence now) and I would go to 'Coleys' shop and I would have a 3 cornered bag filled up with sweeties for my penny....black jacks, fruit salads, cherry lips, midget gems, flying saucers, gob stoppers, liquorice laces, bubbly gums etc, or a whole packet of sherbet, and I would lick my finger and dip it in the sherbet and my finger would change colour, it lasted for ages though.

I could be here all day, LOL....

Remember Tony Blackburn and Radio Caroline....

'Corrie' in black and white with Ena Sharples and Albert Tatlock and a young Ken Barlow too..

I was in love with 'Dr Kildare' - Richard Chamberlain..

And I 'bopped' to the music of Cliff, The Beatles, The Hollies etc..

And I was an avid Speedway fan - I followed my team all over the Country - I can smell the track now!!!

And wearing mini dresses as they do today - well I had the figure in those days.

I remember my first car a little green Mini, I loved it....

And of course my first date with my DH when we were both 21, we went out for a meal and talked all night, and we are still together.

I could go on and on, LOL..

Sweet Memories.

Only having three television channels.

The excitement when a friend's family got a video player and going to the video shop for the first time with her.

My first computing class at school - when programs were saved on cassette tapes.

Back