The regular soft drink debate

sugarised

I'm tired of trawling through the same things... What NON-cambridge drinks are we allowed. I've been following the ''coke zero is ok'' and having 1 can a day as a treat. I'm bored of my cambridge water flavourings.... 3litres of that stuff a day is enough to turn anyone a little crazy.

I've been avoiding the evil citric acid.... but as i'm firmly in ketosis, and by the looks of previous experiences on this diet, it takes a lot to get me out of it, so i think i can handle the small risks that perhaps SOME might not be able to do.

So I'm planning on hunting down some perfectly clear...has anyone else found any other flavoured water brands that are citric acid free and haven't had any adverse affects on weight loss?

Also curious as to whether Dr Pepper zero is acceptable... i'll have to nosy at the ingredients. I think as long as any drink uses malic acid we are safe (as thats the basis for the CD flavourings)

thoughts folks?

I drink Dr Pepper Zero with no problem. Coke also do a zero cherry coke thats ok. One of the Sainburys sparkling water's is citric acid free but thats the only one I've found for a couple of years.
My CWC says that she can tolerate small doses of citric acid and remain in ketosis but that might be a risk you choose not to take
Let us know because I also like to have a treat of an alternative tasting drink. I often add the flavorings to sparkling water, but you probably do that already

I drink Tesco and Sainsburys fizzy waters and stay in ketosis. My CDC actually recommended it as I struggle to drink the water. The only negative I find is sometimes it can make my tummy a bit rumbly.

I drink coke zero, cherry coke zero and Dr Pepper Zero. All contain either phosphoric or malic acid instaed of citric! Some cheaper own brand diet drinks are safe too, think Tescos diet cola is one! Tesco also used to their oen brand strawberry and apple waters that were safe from citric but they've changed the recipe booo!

i wanted to go out hunting today but i'm ill... and no one around me is going to spend ages reading the ingredients on them! gah. so just normal water and one a day of coke zero atm. grrrr hehe thanks for the heads up though- i'm gonna have to pay a trip to a big old telco

Hi, I have bought 8 bottles of Sainsbury's cherry and blackcurrent sparkling water today, it has no citric acid in - yum.

Also, I had some diet coke at the pub on Friday and was not in ketosis on Saturday morning; I am not one of the lucky ones who don't have to watch out for citric acid in drinks - boooo

Omg I've been on this for 8 weeks and DID NOT KNOW we could have these? My CDC said strictly no coke zero's.

Although I do drink both coke and Dr pepper zero, I think the CWC know it would be better to not drink pop.
Sorry to be technical; recent research has suggested that when we drink pop that uses artificial sweetners our body loses the ability to distinguish them from sugar then 2 things happen, we crave more sweet things and our body produces insulin as if it is responding to sugar. The conclusion of the research was that sugar free pop is not an aid in dieting :-( gutted
As I said, I choose to ignore this and still drink them, but what do I know, I'm 17 stone :)

Although I do drink both coke and Dr pepper zero, I think the CWC know it would be better to not drink pop.
Sorry to be technical; recent research has suggested that when we drink pop that uses artificial sweetners our body loses the ability to distinguish them from sugar then 2 things happen, we crave more sweet things and our body produces insulin as if it is responding to sugar. The conclusion of the research was that sugar free pop is not an aid in dieting :-( gutted
As I said, I choose to ignore this and still drink them, but what do I know, I'm 17 stone :)

I wonder whether artificial sweeteners in my tea does the same thing then?? I never have energy which could be because of the release of Insulin?

Ooh that's interesting it could explain a lot. I did lipotrim a few years ago and I felt great in it I have loads of energy and felt the euphoric buzz throughout. This time I'm not feeling that and I have no energy. The difference it I'm having tea with sweeteners in it so I think I might cut out the tea and see what happens.

Ooh that's interesting it could explain a lot. I did lipotrim a few years ago and I felt great in it I have loads of energy and felt the euphoric buzz throughout. This time I'm not feeling that and I have no energy. The difference it I'm having tea with sweeteners in it so I think I might cut out the tea and see what happens.

Maybe just the sweetener? I really look forward to my coke zero but if I notice a big difference maybe I need to, too

Hmm, I'm not sure. The joy of research is that it can be surprisingly easy to draw the wrong conclusion from your findings. Have a read of this (this is the origin of the report that's caused the latest hoo haa):

http://english.inserm.fr/content/download/52271/297807/file/CP_boisson+light+def_EN.pdf

Now, how many people do you know (particularly overweight people) who do things like order lots of food in a restaurant but order a diet coke to go with it? :) We like to delude ourselves that somehow, sparing ourselves the 130 odd calories in full fat coke is somehow going to make up for the fact we're about to stuff ourselves silly! It's the tendency to eat too much cr@p that leads to wanting more and more cr@p, not the diet coke.

That said, the idea that artificial sweeteners do make some people hungry and/or has an effect on insulin response has been around for years. Some people do find it has this effect. Many people don't. But that's what's behind Cambridge not putting diet drinks on the allowed fluid list - that and citric acid content, which theoretically may interfere with ketosis (google Kreb's Cycle and ketosis if you really want to blow your mind:)).

But you can't avoid artificial sweeteners doing Cambridge anyway - how do you think they sweeten the shakes, porridge and bars? :)

Conclusion - drink Coke Zero at your own risk. If it makes you hungry, don't drink it. If it seems to affect your losses, don't drink it. If you don't want to feel like you're cheating, don't drink it. :)

And me - yeah, I've been known to indulge in the odd can with apparently no ill effects. But it's a decision you have to make for yourself.

That's pretty much the point; that people get used to drinking low cal drinks without realising that they do impact on, and stimulate the insulin producing system. Won't be as impactful on everyone but it does affect some people.
It has been around for a while but I think there is a general push to inform people that just because something is low cal, doesn't mean it should be drunk like water :)
I mentioned the research to illustrate the reason why the CWC's encourage water not citric acid free soft drinks.

Back