The things that people say.......

My Dad is on WW - not doing well on it as he's up and down from one week to the next. He has told his leader about me being on CD so is now spouting that she said it's bad for anyone to lose more than 2 pounds a week. She says people should have more variety than the replacements give. Blah blah blah.

My brother has lost several stones by walking 10 miles a day but he really cuts down his spending on food to buy cigarettes - he sternly said "I'm not going to say anything about your diet - I'm sure you know what I think". He also thinks I've lost too much weight of my face even though I have another 2.5 stones to lose. I've always had a slim face all my life - even when the rest of my body is fat I only ever get a little double chin. He must know this!

One of my sisters is a SW leader (although she is probably 6 stones overweight ....but very beautiful) and she has stayed totally schtum about CD although she did say I was looking trim when she hadn't seen me for 3 weeks. Her silence speaks volumes to me about what she thinks.

My Mom just tries offering me every food/confectionary imaginable when I visit despite me telling her exactly what I am eating. Comments like "well a few nuts or chocolate-coated gingers won't do you any harm".

There are always people who don't want you to lose weight and I'm sure it is due to their insecurities or the fact that they are envious that others can re-take control over their eating habits. Anyway it doesn't really matter what others say - it's how the dieter feels that matters. Nothing is going to stop me now. Stupid comments are great because they just make me more resolute.

My boss said to me last Friday ....

"don't know why you are bothering with a stupid diet - you're trying to be something you are not supposed to be"

:eek: how very dare he. I'll flippin well show him - he will be drooling over me in my little size 8 number at the Christmas party and he will eat his words!!

"don't know why you are bothering with a stupid diet - you're trying to be something you are not supposed to be"

:eek: how very dare he. I'll flippin well show him - he will be drooling over me in my little size 8 number at the Christmas party and he will eat his words!!

How rude of him! You show him at Christmas. Funnily enough, I find the people who are negative more of a spur so I can prove them wrong ;) And we all will!

quote]

What a horrible thing to say to anyone!!! :eek:

Ignore that one, he is obviously jealous that you can do something about your weight, whilst he will always remain a to**er!

My Mum said to me last night on the phone " You are only supposed to loose around 2lbs a week...just be careful"
The fact of the matter is that I was having chest pains before I started CD and even on Day 7 they have gone....I don't care how much weight I loose quickly, as long as I get my health back in order.

Mrs V - that's the spirit!!! We're doing this for ourselves and no one else!!!!

Anoushka you are right - I'm so bl**dy minded I'd do this now just to prove my point .....

Anyone else find that people automatically assume that because we'd go to what they deem as 'such drastic measures' to shift the weight, that we want to be size zero?? There seems to be some kind of stigma around meal replacement diets which means onlookers think we all want to look like posh?? I'm sick of people saying 'what do you want to be all skin and bones for?'

I don't, I just want to be happy and comfortable in a body I adore - and frankly bones sticking out all over the place does nothing for me!

Good on you spooky!!

From the look of your ticker you must almost be there! One last little push and you'll be at goal. I sooo cannot wait for that!

Anyone else find that the negativity comes from 2 sources:
1. those who have never been overweight in their lives and have no idea about dieting and trying to shed the excess pounds
2. those who are overweight and kidding themselves that they are happy that way (which really translates as I'm going to be really negative about your diet because I feel miserable with the way I am and can't be bothered to do anything about it)

£xactly Dobbie!

Look at Fern Britton - said she wasn't bothered about her weight, she was happy as she was etc, etc and within a few months had started a diet and lost 4 stones!

He will probably be one of the lovely gentlemen to whom you will very soon becoming visible again. Oh yes, been there, done that, got the t-shirt, slapped the faces, and administered the withering put downs ;)

With Christmas approaching people at work have started to talk about the foods they will be sampling over the festive period and are beginning to arrange meals out etc.

Whenever this topic comes up a couple of people regularly turn to me and will say "Oh but you won't be able to join in will you" even though they know that I have finished the SS part of the diet and regularly see me eating "real" food at lunchtimes. Or they say things like "Oh you couldn't eat such and such its far too fattening".

It would seem that they feel as I have been overweight and happen to have chosen a diet that meant I excluded conventional food for a few months that I am never allowed to eat again and if I do I could not possibly eat anything other than salad :rolleyes:.

I have often had said to me that "Oh, you have done brilliantly. I couldnt do a diet like that. I cant even lose half a stone..." etc etc. I try to emphasise the "But you WOULD if you had to..... after all 10 stone over weight is not a walk in the park, you know. I had to do it, so I am...."

Also, my slightly overweight SIL recently said " I had better be careful or you'll be smaller than me soon." This just before I handed back a pair of (lovely) hand me down jeans from her. Too small so passed to me, but too big for me!!!! (I admit it did feel good!!!!)

my mum said something that really annoyed me, but i think it was out of her mouth before she had thought about it. we had just finished a very successful shopping trip for new clothes for me as all my 16's were drowning me, and i had got a lot of 14's and a few 12's and i told her that i wud love to be a 10 for christmas and she said 'ull never be a 10, ur not the right shape for it'.
but how does she know this? ive been overweight since i hit puberty, i have no idea what ill look like when im slim! she did backtrack after she said this and said that maybe it was possible, but that it wouldnt happen as quickly as by xmas.
dont get the wrong idea about her tho, she incredibly supportive and a generally brillant and very kind person.

my mum said something that really annoyed me, but i think it was out of her mouth before she had thought about it. we had just finished a very successful shopping trip for new clothes for me as all my 16's were drowning me, and i had got a lot of 14's and a few 12's and i told her that i wud love to be a 10 for christmas and she said 'ull never be a 10, ur not the right shape for it'.
but how does she know this? ive been overweight since i hit puberty, i have no idea what ill look like when im slim! she did backtrack after she said this and said that maybe it was possible, but that it wouldnt happen as quickly as by xmas.
dont get the wrong idea about her tho, she incredibly supportive and a generally brillant and very kind person.

It doesn't sound like your Mom meant to be unkind - like you said it was just a comment that slipped out. You don't have any idea what you will look like when you are slim so neither can she. I think Mum's do worry when we go on VLCDs as they don't understand them (and they usually don't want to either). If you want to be a size 10 then I'm sure you will achieve it.

Also, my slightly overweight SIL recently said " I had better be careful or you'll be smaller than me soon." This just before I handed back a pair of (lovely) hand me down jeans from her. Too small so passed to me, but too big for me!!!! (I admit it did feel good!!!!)

I think that is a very telling comment from your SIL. I don't blame you for feeling good when her jealousy and insecurities started showing. I do wish others would be pleased rather than be jealous.

I agree with the comment that people who are overweight get jealous when we start losing weight - my mum needs to lose weight and asked me to get extra packs from my CDC for her. I refused which caused an argument so I gave in and phoned my CDC to ask if she would give them without having seen my mum.... as expected and as I believe to be the right way of things, she said no.

My mum then started again the other day, saying that I had extra packs and could give her some of them because I wouldn't be missing out that much..... the next day she then told me I wasn't eating enough!!!!! I know its because she's jealous but wish she could be a bit more supportive of me for once.

If I even dare to complain about feeling a bit chilly, anyone feels free to comment that I need to put a bit a bit of fat on or suggest some lardy steam pudding to stock up on (yuck).
Can't I be slimmer and feel the chill, other people feel the cold and there's sympathy in bucket loads.

I work with a girl who is probably a size 12/14 and I am not far off that now, she always says to me, oh you are doing so well etc etc, the other day she said, ' you are looking fab, what size are you now ??, a 16-18 ' !!! god knows where she gets off, I really am not far off her size now and she thinks I am a 16-18 !!.

someone said to me today i must have got my gum infection because of this diet! I said no, it was because my tooth fell out!

Also, yesterday i saw someone i hadnt seen for ages and she said you've lost loads of weight, how did you do that? I told her the cambridge and she pulled the most peculiar face! Sort of a curled lip sneer! She said oh that liquid diet thing, urgh.

EVERYBODY is saying to me now "you dont need to lose anymore" - i know that i only need to lose between 5 to 9lbs but i'm still not there. I think people hate to think you might end up smaller than them!!!!

My sister in law "They just don't work Lucy..." You'll never lose weight on it!!!" 8 weeks later and might I add 2 Stone lighter and she joins CD!!! Hmmmm who has the last laugh!!!

xx

Back