The way to a lean, toned body?

anna_vixen

Gold Member
Hi, I absolutely adore going to the gym and am super willing to do lots of exercise!
I am just worried whether I am doing the right type of exercise -
I would like to be toned - how do I do it?

I am willing to exercise 5/6 times a week, so how much cardio and then how much toning should I be doing?
Should I assign a session for toning arms and then another session for stomach or combine it all in one session?
Please help - if you have any ideas, even if its something that works for you - I'm willing to give it a go, as I don't want to just be messing around in the gym and for my workouts not to be effective.
P.s; I also have access to lots of exercise classes.
Thankyou in advance!

a mix of cardio and weights is good for that super toned look.

no good doing just cardio, you need to use the weights to tone up those muscles. at the same time its no good doing just weights, cardio to burn the fat, and weights to tone up the muscle.

if you have access to a body pump class, id highly reccomend that!

a mix of cardio and weights is good for that super toned look.

no good doing just cardio, you need to use the weights to tone up those muscles. at the same time its no good doing just weights, cardio to burn the fat, and weights to tone up the muscle.

if you have access to a body pump class, id highly reccomend that!

Thanks for reply! How much should I be doing?
1hour cardio 30mins weights? and when do I pump - how many times a week should I do it? - I'm sorry if I sound silly - I have no idea how much I should be doing!

i only do pump twice a week, its enough for me but do more if they had more classes on at times i can do it. on the website it does reccomend 3/4 times a week, but i think thats only if your doing that one class and not mixing it up with others

i do a mix of both cardio and weights each day as it works the best for me, but some say do cardio one day, weights the next... its down to personal preffence :)

first class you may be acheing alot after it, dont let it put you off, it dosent always feel that way!

first one i did the next day it felt like id been hit by a bus, every part of my body was sore. its a good workout though

If you want a toned and lean body you can try either Pilates or Yoga. I noticed that a lot of people who do either one of these two tend to have nice lean and toned bodies.

I want a nice lean and toned body too, so I started doing Yoga several weeks ago. It's not a hardcore workout like the gym, but it does make you sweat and the first couple of days I had really sore arms. Nowadays my thighs are feeling sore, and thanks to Yoga I can do 10 guy pushups.

10 guy pushups might not sound much, but just several months ago I had problems doing girly pushups.

Hi Anna
Would the gym develop a plan for you based on your goals
Gina is right that you need to have a well rounded exercise plan to reap the benefits
If your gym does Kettlebell classes, give them a go, they incorporate resistance, cardio and core

CaliSweden said:
If you want a toned and lean body you can try either Pilates or Yoga. I noticed that a lot of people who do either one of these two tend to have nice lean and toned bodies.

I want a nice lean and toned body too, so I started doing Yoga several weeks ago. It's not a hardcore workout like the gym, but it does make you sweat and the first couple of days I had really sore arms. Nowadays my thighs are feeling sore, and thanks to Yoga I can do 10 guy pushups.

10 guy pushups might not sound much, but just several months ago I had problems doing girly pushups.

I've tried pilates and it really does nothing for me - may try yoga though.
It would be a massive achievement if I could do 1 guy push-up lol!
A massive congrats to you though! That's fab!! Xx

Kron said:
Hi Anna
Would the gym develop a plan for you based on your goals
Gina is right that you need to have a well rounded exercise plan to reap the benefits
If your gym does Kettlebell classes, give them a go, they incorporate resistance, cardio and core

Hey,
I was meant to have my review a little while a go, but I had a dental emergency lol
But on Friday I'm meeting with a personal trainer for a free toning session so I will ask her then :)
My gym does not do kettlebell stuff unfortunately - but I'm getting there definitely! :)

I split my workout into 3 different areas:
Triceps, Shoulders and Chest
Legs
Back, Biceps and Abs

I do 3 exercises for each body part in a circuit each using 3kg dumbells, for example:
Shoulder press 15 reps
Tricep dips 15 reps
Chest press 15 reps
Front raises 15 reps
Tricep kickbacks 15 reps
Chest flys 15 reps
Shoulder shrugs 15 reps
Overhead extensions 15 reps

I would repeat this 3 times, with a break only in between each circuit.

I found this website:

Strength Training Exercises

It lists perfectly all the exercises needed!!!

Back