The weight wont budge

Lea*

Hi all,

Ive been doing slimming world for a year now and totally love it, total loss 3st 10 1/2. For the last 4 months I have been finding it very hard to lose weight, i have not been doing anything different, i stick to it 100 % and dont even use all my syns - i hardly go over 5 a day!

Does anyone have any ideas to kick start my weight loss?? I want to lose atleast another 10lbs but getting fed up & stessed when i try so hard but it doesnt come off!

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Lea x

Hi Lea I just replied on another thread. I've lost 5 stones with SW but still have a long way to go and got to the stage rwhere I wasn't losing much if at all and I got quite demotivated by it all, even questioning whether I should try a new plan. In the end I decided to try and change from having a lot of EE and Green days to all Red and it did make a difference and I started to lose weight again, on average a steady 2lb a week. My consultant said you should be able to have green or red days and still get a good result, but all I know is changing to red really worked for me. Also another thing that I've heard works is changing your HeA and HeB around. Def worth a try! It's also important to have all your syns each day so make sure you have them too. Hope this helps a bit :)

Thank you so much! Like you i dont ever have red days since the EE came about, i struggle for lunchs on a red day. Do you have any good ideas for things i could take to work if i do some red days? Have you gone back to have green days now?

I feel if i start eating all my syns now this will up my fat/Kcals which means it will be even harder to lose.

I've been the same, since coming back from my hols in September I've been gaining & losing the same 1lb :(

But after reading a lot of the threads here it became clear even though I thought I was keeping to plan I wasn't.

I don't, I don't always have hexa (I don't drink milk & don't always have cheese); I don't always have hexb, just because I eat other free foods & just don't fancy anything. Also I often only had 1 weetabix, & meant to have the other later but sometimes just didn't feel like this. It came as a shock to find out I should syn this.

I now make sure have my hexa & hexb each day & I lost 1.5lb last week :) I generally lose 0.5-1lb per week (or gain:rolleyes:)

Also I've created an excell spreadsheet which adds up my syns for the week and I found I wasn't eating quiet as many as I thought. I now have a small glass of wine (100mls -= 3.5 syns) if my syns need using up.

And I try & have one green & one red day - not a fan of EE.

All in all it seems to be working ok :)

As regards Green days, not really, occasionally I'll have a EE day which doesn't seem to hurt, but I figure while I'm losing steady weight on red days I'll stick with them and then if it starts to slow down again I may add some more Green days. Re lunches, I always take a packed lunch to work, sometimes I'll use a HeA and HeB and take crackerbread and LC cheese, with loads of cucumber, cherry toms and beetroot (yum!) I also love the SW quiches which are free; ham and egg or tuna and crabstick salad; sandwiches using 1 HeB; cold Morrisons Eat Smart sausages with hard boiled eggs; use a HeB for soup (I particularly like the Green Giant veg or mushroom ones); home made Butternut Squash or Carrot and Coriander soup, the list is endless! I also use a BNS in place of potatoes in my evening meal sometimes too, and if I plan on using a HeB at lunch time I usually have a He free breakfast, such as omelette or fruit and yogurt. HTH ;-) x

After 6 years of doing SW and pretty much living the 'green' way when I wasn't doing it, I've gone to 90% red days and it's coming off fairly steadily (except when I flexi-syn!) so will be sticking with red for a while!

Sounds like i need to get some reds days in my week. There is no way i could do it everyday as i love my green days but maybe introduce as many as i can handle! 3 a week? But I am getting married in 6 months so it will be worth it!

I totally agree that you should introduce more red days, or even try doing them solidly for a week! They deffo give a big boost I always find, so give it a try :) if it doesnt help really then you can always swap back to your usual routine!

Also, have you been doing an body magic? I always find that if I get to a bit of a plateau, I need to do a bit of exercise! Try following the body magic sheet and get your awards...I bet you will see an increase in weight loss

Good luck with it :) xxxx

I would totally agree !! Change your food and up your amounts, this may go against the grain but it would appear you have levelled out your body has got used to your intake so give it a shock and up your calories and change the type of food groups you eat. This was a common effect with the atkins diet. They suggested actually going off the diet for 48 hours and stuff your silly. Then go back on the diet they say it resets the body.

Phil x

I totally agree that you should introduce more red days, or even try doing them solidly for a week! They deffo give a big boost I always find, so give it a try :) if it doesnt help really then you can always swap back to your usual routine!

Also, have you been doing an body magic? I always find that if I get to a bit of a plateau, I need to do a bit of exercise! Try following the body magic sheet and get your awards...I bet you will see an increase in weight loss

Good luck with it :) xxxx

I feel that if you up your excerise you may actually increase weight,,, so be careful as the gym will build muscle. I am finding just this ..... my shape if changing but my loss has slowed right down after nearly five stone loss.

Its the balance of two evils I think ! SW must be taken as a life style change in all areas not just the weight loss. I think that all showed actually measure their bod periodically as this is a great motivator especially when the weight loss slows down.

Phil x

I feel that if you up your excerise you may actually increase weight,,, so be careful as the gym will build muscle.

Phil x
It takes months and months of heavy duty body building to build up muscles but was does happen is water is retained in the muscles initially causing a temporary gain.

Some good advice. I must confess, I am guilty of not changing what I eat from day to day and this is something I want to address. Otherwise I'm not taking advantage of the VARIETY the diet offers. I think I stick to the same stuff cos it's easy/I know the syns/I'm afriad of messing up etc

Variety is such a key aspect of keeping yourself on track – you get fed up of eating the same things day after day because it’s easy and you think you’re doing the right thing, but you just get booooored! And so too, the body just gets bored as well. Lots of people will report how they have a blow out weekend and go on to have a mammoth loss next WI. This is not carte blanche though! I’m not saying go and have a month’s worth of syns in one day, but if you really are stuck, there’s no harm in giving it a go for one weekend.

Mix your days up a bit – go red, green, EE, success express…keep the body guessing. Trawl the net for some new recipes to try.

Increasing exercise is also good. Yes, some people do experience a gain temporarily with a sudden increase in exercise amounts, but if you do it gradually (start with longer walks, swimming etc) and at a lower intensity (which is better for calorie burning, rather than cardio) then you’ll see improvements. Muscle does weigh more than fat, that’s true, but it also takes up a lot less space in the body as it’s more dense – therefore you’ll be leaner, slimmer, fitter and healthier. Having more muscle also helps to increase your metabolism so you burn calories more efficiently. What’s not to like about that?!

Other ways to get things going include increasing your water intake, increasing your syns (as has been mentioned! It’s scary but do try it), trying success express, a speed food challenge…er…I am sure I’m forgetting things, there must be other ways too! Forgive me, it’s Monday morning!

Sometimes this happens, things slow down. Sometimes they get going at a faster rate again, and sometimes they just stay slow – we’re all different but with determination we all get to goal in the end if we keep our eyes on the prize!

Hi -

Everyone has said everything I would have, but just wanted to say keep up the hard work honey and well done for the loss so far - that's incredible and you've done really well! Hopefully losses will pick up again soon.

Stay happy xxx

I agree that exercise can make you gain a very small amount at the beginning, but this is just muscle and the more muscle that you gain rather than fat, the higher your metabolism will get and the more calories you will burn even when you are resting! So in the long run it is really worth it. Even if you just go for a half hour walk a few times a week :) That wont build much muscle anyways xx

Thank you all so much for the advise! I went out and bought lots of meat & having my first red day in a long time today.
Fingers crossed it works! xx

Back