theme park rides

claz

wants to be slim
I went to blackpool this weekend and had a day at the pleasure beach.. I am a size 20 and i won't go on many rides as i am convinced that i won't be able to fit in the seat or the belt won't come over me and i will be so embarrassed if i get asked to get off because i'm too big... my husband tells me not to be daft and that i wouldn't have a problem ... I can't wait to get slim enough to have the confidence to go on the rides without thinking whether i'm the biggest person in the queue and constantly looking at the people coming off to see if there bigger than me... just wondering if there is anyone else like me or am i the only nutter who looks at everyone to see how big they are before getting on a ride and not whether they are looking scared.. lol ??

I went to blackpool this weekend and had a day at the pleasure beach.. I am a size 20 and i won't go on many rides as i am convinced that i won't be able to fit in the seat or the belt won't come over me and i will be so embarrassed if i get asked to get off because i'm too big... my husband tells me not to be daft and that i wouldn't have a problem ... I can't wait to get slim enough to have the confidence to go on the rides without thinking whether i'm the biggest person in the queue and constantly looking at the people coming off to see if there bigger than me... just wondering if there is anyone else like me or am i the only nutter who looks at everyone to see how big they are before getting on a ride and not whether they are looking scared.. lol ??

My Hubby also cant wait to be able to go on the theme park rides again, He did suffer the trauma of being asked to get off some years back now. He was ( lost 4st 7lbs so far) pretty heavy, but also was very muscly too and 6'4" so the combined height, large build from his work and extra weight all meant the ride harness wouldnt click down enough to be allowed to ride :( needless to say we had to leave, having paid £50 odd to get in :( Anyway i reckon he's nearly lost enough to ride again now :)
They do have a test seat at the entrance to the queues now, to test etc. But you have already paid to get in at that point.

Do you know, Claz, I'm exactly the same. I mentally size everything up, from whether a gap is big enough to squeeze through in a restaurant to whether a chair looks strong enough to hold me. My absolute nightmare is turnstiles. My husband is a huge (but skinny) footie fan and we have taken our two boys of 10 and 12 to a few matches. I die a thousand deaths if I see an old fashioned enclosed turnstile, convinced I'm going to get stuck in it! I had a complete meltdown at one place and wouldn't go through until I was let in through the wheelchair entrance.

And despite desperately wanting to take our kids to a theme park, I've never been brave enough to go, knowing they would try to get me to go on to a ride that I know I might not fit on.

My most mortifying experience was having to have an extension belt on a plane once, though. It's OK for me to know I'm fat, but for me to know that other people know is just awful!

Back to the soup of death for tea (tomato and basil)!

glad its not just me then .. I know what you mean about turnstiles and its also like when i go somewhere where there is those white plastic chairs or a deckchair.it a nightmare... i just won't sit in them cos i think i'm going to break them.. my husband is bigger than me and he weighs 17 1/2 stone and is 6ft 5" ad he sits in them with no problem and also goes on rides in theme parks and never worries about not fitting into things - wish i could be more like him and not care... think he's also fed up of me saying 'do i look as big as that' as like you say i'm always sizing everything up.. hopefully one day i can just sit in something and not worry about fitting in it....

Oh, yes, the dreaded white plastic chair - forgot about those! My very slim friend who weighs no more than 9 stone told me about when she went on holiday to Spain, went out for a meal with her family and sat on a WPC, only for it to collapse under her. She said everyone laughed hysterically, but if WPCs do that to slim people, I'm afraid I can't risk it! Oh the shame if it happened to a little fatty like me!

I had a bit of a nightmare on a ride in Blackpool. I had to move seats to where there was a bigger belt and then half way around the ride which involved loop the loops or whatever they are called the belt came open though the attendant had fastened it himself -- thank god there was bar too. I was so scared I was going to fall out I was hanging on for grim death, pardon the pun. That was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me in a theme park. :rolleyes:

That's giving me the shivers even thinking about it! I can't imagine anything worse.

I'm a complete wimp when it comes to rides, so it's not too much of a hardship not to go on them. My husband still takes great pleasure in telling people about when we went on a very tame ride where a little carriage went round on a track, went up a slope of about 3 ft and then dropped down. After going round once I was almost hysterical and kept saying to my husband "David, I want to get off. Tell the man to stop"! How brave is that?

omg Carole, thats horrible, I can understand that you would never want to go on a ride again as that sort of thing makes me think never again myself even when ive lost the weight. !!

I totally understand this post :(
I had a horrible experience in Alton Towers in June and they told me I had to wait for another seat but I just got off and let my DH and lil bro go on - was so ashamed and didn't go on any more :(
I also size up everything I hate- getting off busy buses, turnstiles, restaurants with tiny gaps between tables, plane seat belts, rides n so many more

We are planning to go to Flamingo Land next summer and I can't wait - I AM going to be slim enough not to worry :)

I once got stuck under a gate... (I wasnt breaking and entering honest!) I was at a big horse event in wales, its over 3 days and everyone camps on site and walks down into the local town at night... its huge walls and fences all around, unless you walk miles out of the way, so anyways everyone cuts through the middle of the show ground and either goes over or under these huge locked gates.... so there I am in a group of about 20 people (mainly lads and girls in their late teens/early 20s, all skinny) so as we are walking towards the gate Im thinking "ok... look for the part with the biggest gap... ok the group dips there... i can do this" I couldnt turn back without looking an idiot so we get to the gate, there are people leaping up it like monkeys and flying under it... no way in hell would I be able to climb it so under i go on my stomach, Army low crawl style... and get stuck... it wasnt for long, I managed to free myself but it was long enough for people to realize I had got stuck THEN i had to go under it again to get back in... I prepped myself doing the "ooohh isnt it hot?!" so I could take my coat off... it was October... wasnt hot but I hoped a little less padding would help me get back under the gate. I was mortified! I went the other end of the gate, literally in the mud because the ground was lower so the gap was a bit bigger. Oh the shame of it all.

:sigh: it is quite a worry, last time we went to florida my hubby had to do the 'WALK OF SHAME' as it is known in our family :eek: and this year we are both trying to lose enough weight to be able to go on the new harry potter ride. We have heard that if you are over 17 stone there is no way you will fit in the seats :eek:. We have heard that they will pull you from the queue and ask you to try a tester seat!!!! i would be mortified. The plane seats always worry me aswell i get more nervous about if it will do up than the flight lol

Reading through this reminds me of my OH

He went to Southend Adventure Playground (I think its called that) and one of the bars on the ride wouldn't go down properly on him, so it was a big safety issue which meant he couldn't go on the ride.

He is losing the weight now, and hopes that by his 40th next year, he can go back to the theme park and go on any ride he wants, with no trouble.

I thought that it was only me. I have sleepless nights before every holiday worrying about seatbelts. Then this year we went to swim with dolphins, so i had the added stress of wearing a life jacket. i had to choose the biggest available then open it to maximum ( i am quite large chested) I have vowed never to let my weight spoil my hols again

Thats the worst when it spoils your holiday. A few years ago we went to California, Nevada and Arizona. I was just too fat to walk and Im sure I ruined it for my poor husband who is very good but Im sure he felt it. I do regret that. Added to that we were in a three seat on the plane going over and the guy who was in the other seat asked to move because there was no room. Then when we were getting off I saw him talking to his cronies and they were sniggering and looking at us. People can be such pigs!

Anyway girls, its all the more reason to stick to this wonderful diet. Today tarrah! I ditched my extension seat belt for my car and I can use the regular one without an added bit. So see it does work. I love SW. I love it because it is giving me my life back.

We did Scotland for our 1st anniversary (Edinburgh to be exact)

Well I lived there for two year and even though it was hilly then, I don't remember it being that hilly. I was so warn out all the time it was not good.

We have said we might go back to Edinburgh in 2013 (saving up as some things there are not cheap, plus going else where in-between years) We vowed to do all the things we could not afford, and not moan so much about all the dam hills.

I want to walk the |Royal Mile all the way to the castle and not be so out of breath I can't enjoy the castle when I get there.

It was a little embarasing last time, I do push myself more then I should, but one night when we got back to the room, I practically colapsed onto the bed.

And to think when I was little I went on a weeks walking trip with my Dad and sister, and never moaned once about the walking, through fields up and down hills etc...:(

So the weight must go

Thank god it isn't just me then. I went to Alton Towers over the summer, and was checking the queue for how big people were.

I cant go on rides anywhere its horrible I actually feel physically sick and have had a sneaky cry on more than one occassion. Eurgh it makes me feel sick thinking about it! I can't wait to have lost enough weight to not be continously worrying about it!

I went to Alton Towers a few years ago and one of the attendants had to help me bring the bar fully down to click, i was so uncomfortable that i have avoided any Alton Tower type days that friends have gone to as im now a few stone heavier and just couldnt stand the embarisment of not being able to fit onto the ride.

Honestly this thread is like a weight being lifted off my shoulders!! I dread little plastic chairs, I always give a gentle wobble to an unknown chair- will it take my big bottom?
And I used to love theme parks but I daren't go now, perhaps when I slim down that will be one of my rewards!!
I constantly analyze gaps, busy bars - I will rather stand in a draughty doorway than battle my way in.

Wow I thought I was the only one that felt like this, the only ride I went on when we were on hols was the merry-go-round as there had large sleigh like carriages on as well as horses, on plastic/deck chairs I do this silly hover stance where my weight is on my thighs and my bum is hardly in the seat, and I very slowly lower myself bit by bit to see if the chair will hold me :(

Back