Thickening a stew!

jodidi

Silver Member
I've had a beef stew in the slow cooker all night but this morning its not thickened up. How can I thicken it without adding syns?

Are you on EE Jodi? If you are you could add some red lentils, they really bulk up and thicken up a stew.

Or if you are doing a red day, you could serve it with some mashed swede and butternut squash which will help soak up the gravy.

Other than that I think it's a case of synning some cornflour or gravy granules!

I'm on a red day, not got any swede and the butternut squash is already in the stew, lol! I've used a glass of red wine (7.5 syns) in it already so I dont really want to use any more syns.

Hee Hee will do!

LOL, how much cornflour would i need to use? It is an average size slow cooker.

Just follow the instructions on the package but Squiddie's right - smash is a great thickener. I use it all the time.

maybe take out some of the squash and mash it then put it back to make it thicker, may work

No you cant taste the smash , check which instant mash you use coz not all are 'free'

Ok, just fished the BNS out with some sprouts, mashed them put them back and turned it on again, so we shall see!

Some great ideas here folks - I often have a thickening problem! (No pun intended). The 'potato powder' sounds ideal, but thanks for the warning about syns. Funny how we always call it Smash, whatever brand it might be...

Back