Thicko question here re: bread

big bear

A bear on a mission!
My husband insists on buying 800g wholemeal bread so am I right in thinking that if I only eat 1 slice that would be my HE??

Quite right! I buy 800g loaves for OH and DD and 400g loaves for me and keep them in the freezer. That way we all get the bread we like!

HEX B allowance for wholemeal bread is 57g - so I reckon you should weigh it. :) I reckon it might be just over a slice - maybe not much though, LOL. I guess it might work out to be an extra 'soldier' to dip into your boiled egg!

HEX B allowance for wholemeal bread is 57g - so I reckon you should weigh it. :) I reckon it might be just over a slice - maybe not much though, LOL. I guess it might work out to be an extra 'soldier' to dip into your boiled egg!

that's funny, I'll weigh it later

ok, on the flip side of ths, read if you buy pre-packed sandwches with wholemeal bread, you can count that as HEB. now surely, not all ths bread comes from a 400g loaf? how would they know?

just weighed: medium slice from 800g loaf = 36g
might have to cut the crusts off ;)

You can pretty much guarantee all bread used in pre packed sandwiches are from 800g loaves otherwise they would be tiny! Plus it doesn't mention taking into account the butter/spread they would use!! So I wonder where we stand on all that?!

ok, on the flip side of ths, read if you buy pre-packed sandwches with wholemeal bread, you can count that as HEB. now surely, not all ths bread comes from a 400g loaf? how would they know?

you can deduct 6 syns from the brought sandwich only :)

A medium slice from an 800g loaf is just under an HEB. They're 4 syns each and an HE portion of bread is 6 syns usually so you could have 2 medium slices for 1 x HEB + 2 syns. You could also have a thick slice from an 800g loaf as a HEB.

I buy Morrisons WM 800g loaf and was pleasantly surprised to discover that 2 slices weighed exactly 57g on my digital scales. Result!

A bit OT.... I hadn't thought of that for brekkie! TY x!

LOL, no - neither had I until I wrote it. :) Gonna have to give it a whirl in the next day or two, methinks... :D

I'll be buying from morrisons then! which one is it?

I'll be buying from morrisons then! which one is it?

It is the wholemeal one that is in a clear bag with purple-ish sides. The slices are quite thin (although it is 'medium' sliced). But thinking about it, do other brands do an actual thin sliced WM?

Back