things in your day that make u eat wrong foods

debtdummy

Silver Member
i am good at start of the day and then by lunch after stressful morning i eat rubbish on my lunch after the slimming world lunch i prepared......... sometimes i just think,.. will i ever really be a size 14.

What are you having for breakfast? And is your SW lunch big enough? Don't forget you can have snacks as well.
It all comes down to getting your head in the right place.Can you go and do a quick power walk before you have your lunch to work off the stress?

The thing is, those foods dont make you eat them, nor do the events that stress you out. YOU make you eat them. Those foods dont just leap up into your mouth, and if you defer the responsibility of how they get into your system to the food, you will always struggle to stick to the plan.

When you get to that point, ask yourself this. "Is the short term satisfaction I am going to get from consuming this, even though I know it is not good for me, worth more than the desire I hold to get to a size 14?"

If the answer is yes, eat the food, you have made the choice to do so and have stopped and thought about it beforehand. Therefore you have taken responsibility for that choice. If the answer is no, then you will stop yourself doing it, and the plan will work.

Thats all it takes. We all have bad days where we would like nothing more than to clear the sweet shop shelves, but while we dont take responsibility for what we eat, those days become more frequent and the chances of the plan working diminish.

Make your treat choices pro-active. I know how hard it can be to ignore the call of the kit-kat. So I have it, as part of my syn allowance. I choose to have it, know I can have it, and understand that there is no need for guilt around eating it because it is incorporated in my plan.

The thing is, those foods dont make you eat them, nor do the events that stress you out. YOU make you eat them. Those foods dont just leap up into your mouth, and if you defer the responsibility of how they get into your system to the food, you will always struggle to stick to the plan.

When you get to that point, ask yourself this. "Is the short term satisfaction I am going to get from consuming this, even though I know it is not good for me, worth more than the desire I hold to get to a size 14?"

I do something similar if I know I could go over my syns I ask myself, 'will i be mad if I gain', the answer is always yes, so I look for alternatives. I like the Alpen bars & the Weetabix white choc bars are yummy. Or sometimes I'll just have rice pud with fruit & add some sweetner to make it sweet.

If you're at work make sure you take your own snacks with you either low syn or free & don't take more money than you're going to need.

It is a mind over matter thing & at the end of the day it's your choice whether to eat more than your syn allowance or not.

I find the only thing that sends me off course is if I let myself. If I'm out and don't have anything with me, I know I can find something somewhere that will fit with the plan. If I end up going off plan I know that whatever reason I use to try and justify it to myself, the real reason is that I just stopped trying.

As someone's quote on the motivational quote thread says: being overweight is hard, dieting is hard. Choose your hard.

I always think now that eating something bad will make me feel good for about 5 minutes, after that I probably won't remember how good it was, or even remember it. But if I get on the scales and see a gain, I'll be disappointed all week. It's certainly helped to keep my head focussed

Last edited:
The time to start dealing with this problem is at the shops. If you haven't bought the things you shouldn't be eating, then you can't eat them.

I know that I can't buy a packet of biscuits, or a large bar of chocolate, because I won't just have some now and some tomorrow, I will eat it all. Same with a tub of Ben and Jerry's - it just vanishes!

So I don't have them in the house, or I get small packets/tubs/whatever, if I want to treat myself.

Right now, this minute, I am sitting here wishing I had some chocolate. But I have done my shopping, come home, the car is in the garage and I am not going out again. And I didn't buy any chocolate today, so I will just have to wish, and eat a banana instead!

You know what I think? You need some seriously positive reasons to move forward. Look at your signature. You are constantly reminding yourself of the horrible thing someone said in your past. Being down and fed up is the worst kind of wall to climb over, so you need to kick it down.

Grab yourself a piece of paper, and make a plan of where you want things to go from here. At rock bottom, the only way is up. Think about you, where you want to be in six months, in twelve months. Think about why you want to do this. Think about how you can achieve it, how you can reward yourself along the way for each step you take in the right direction.

Then put that somewhere you can always look at it when the downers get you. Remind yourself, think of the future. Dont look back.

I think your sig should read:

"I'm proud to say I started SW because I decided to take back control of my life and my body"

Feeling down is the pits but you've decided what you want (a healthier body) and you're doing something about it. It's not easy and sometimes you'll slip up (says the person who's just eaten not one, not two but THREE toffee icecream cones!). The trick is to recognise you've fallen off the wagon and to jump right back on (and, in my case, not to buy food I know I can't resist :ashamed0005::ashamed0005::ashamed0005:).

Try planning what you're going to have for brekkie - make it quick and easy and make sure you actually have it in the house. I find if I have the right brekkie (I often make a spanish omelette the night before so I can eat it when I get to work) I don't get hungry. Experiment with different brekkies until you find some that work for you - try checking out the recipe sections or doing a search because a lot of people struggle with the whole breakfast thing and there is LOADS of advice on this site:)

Good luck with your weight loss.

I am a stress eater, bad day with kids, money worries etc all make me want to eat every treat in sight.

Since SW I have started to ask myself before I do it if it is worth it. Sometimes the answer is yes but other times no. Usually I would of tucked in without thinking and just blow the whole day/wk etc.

I have also just really discovered that the syns are there to take the guilt out of eating! For instance in the wk had a bad morning and tucked into bag of the kids little stars chocolates. Felt really bad then had a brain wave - i'll just syn them! Stayed in my 15 syns for the day. I am hoping that maybe, just maybe I am getting there lol :)

i am good at start of the day and then by lunch after stressful morning i eat rubbish on my lunch after the slimming world lunch i prepared......... sometimes i just think,.. will i ever really be a size 14.

You know, there is a really easy solution to this! Don't take any money with you to work - no money and you can't buy any rubbish. Of course you need to make sure you have lots of SW friendly foods for lunch and snacks to compensate. ;)

Just finding everything so hard

I understand totally. Sometimes it is hard, very hard.

You have been given really good advice by everyone in this thread.

I promise I will join you in trying to follow it as I have just had a rotten week and blamed hospital visiting every day, very, very stressful hospital visiting but after this thread I can see the whole situation more clearly and have realised the hospital visits are not to blame.........I AM !!!!

I'm my own worst enermy , I have fab bf who took on slimming world way of life without argument, he buys Joe sausages, he treats me to all gadgets I wish for, actifry,slow cooker,jmo slicer, yet I let him and myself down as soon as work pi** me off. Today I got on my new pink mountain bike and joined him in the wind and rain running, just wish that I could remember when faced with bad food that I'm doing this for our future, for us to have children and fun and not lay on sofa bored

I agree that its difficult to see yourself being smaller than u are now - especially if you've never been that way or can't remember the last time you were! Visualization helps. I do it everyday at the hard part in my day. When I want to inhale my daughters cookies, I close my eyes and envision myself at target. I envision how I feel, what I'm wearing, etc. Sit with that vision. Feel your mood as a size 14. It feels really good. Better than the cookies. Now walk away. Because you are worth more than a craving. You are worth being a size 14. If you can't see yourself being a size 14, you never will be. Envision it. Smile. (I get excited.) And walk away.

Great post MommyN!

I know how you feel, there are days when you feel its not wotrh it! But dont make my mistakes, I have been blessed with 4 kids and miss out seeing them in school plays etc because I dont want anyone to see how fat I am . But no longer.... I'm in this for life and the only way I got my head around it was to realise that I'm not dieting I'm eating healthy for ME. and this will be a great example for the kids, improve my mood, lift my depression and really feel and experience life again. No rubbish food is worth it and no bad day will ever turn into a bad week, month, year ever again. Lets all go out and enjoy our lives, not beat ourselves up over them.

Back