This diet, that diet.. Help!

laurenmay

Gold Member
I'm getting so frustrated with the fact that I just don't know what diet to go with.. The past few months I've tried Cambridge, slim and save, WW, SW, calorie counting and JUDDD.. and I haven't given any of them a real chance to work in all honesty, after a day I start doubting them & end up giving up and binging until I discover the next diet I want to try.

I just NEED something, that I know works, has good weight and fat loss results, that I can exercise with because I enjoy the gym and don't wanna give it up, and that is healthy in the long run and sustainable so I can live a slimmer and happier life.. so why is that so hard to find? & why can't I give any of the diets I've tried a chance to prove themselves?

I'm a really fussy eater, which tends to get in the way of eating healthily and dieting - I don't like veggies, I don't like most fruit and the ones I do like tend to be the ones with the most sugar such as apples and grapes. I'm not a big meat eater, chicken is pretty much the only meat I enjoy but I've eaten so much that I'm starting to get sick of it. I don't like the clean & whole foods that are meant to be the best for us.. when I count calories my day usually consists of things like snack a jacks, cereal bars and muller lights.

I have a really bad sweet tooth, if I could consume nothing but chocolate, cheesecake and doughnuts all day then I would!

I need some advice, I have four stone to lose and with each day that I'm fussing around trying to find something I think will be sustainable for me I'm gaining more & more weight :(

It's probably going to be quite difficult to lose weight if you don't like any healthy food at all.
Do you like things such as lentils and beans? How about making sauces with tinned tomatoes?
If you like apples and grapes, eat them! I'm sure you didn't put on weight due to eating too many apples!
Really though, nothing is going to work if you don't give it a chance. Stop worrying about how effective something might be and just try it for a week.
As you said, you're currently just gaining more weight so whatever you try is going to be an improvement on what you're doing now.
Good luck x

I agree with Blueway that it will be tough if your not a fan of healthier foods. Although if you enjoy going to the gym then I think that is half the battle. Do you have a friend that could keep you on track with one of the plans? I currently follow Slimming World and doing it with a freind really keeps me on track as when we have get togethers we make sure the food follows the plan and when I have been tempted to "bunk" off she has encouraged me to go and I don't want to let her down. I hope you find a plan that suits you and wish you all the best of luck x

Sorry love but it's not about just dieting but completely changing the way you look at food otherwise you are just going to put all that weight right back on again the minute you hit your goal! Try just adding one new food each week - you will get used to new things really quickly. YOu may not think you like certain foods because of the way they have been cooked before or what with. Try new recipes with strong flavours like curry or chilli or garlic. If you put enough spices into a dish, you really can't taste the veggies and meat but they are still doing you good! Good luck with this one.

I really don't think you are being honest with yourself- the fact is you don't want to change your eating habits. You want the bad things, you just also somehow want to lose weight!

I really feel like you are looking for a quick fix, rather than thinking about how you can have a healthy lifestyle.

The reason you aren't having any success is because you are not commiting to anything. And that's what this process is- a commitment, to improving your health. It doesn't finish after 6 months, it is lifelong.

I would really sit down and think about why you are doing this. Being in the right headspace is the single most important thing for weightloss. If your head isn't in the game, it won't work because you will eventually sabotage yourself.

If you want to do this, think of the approach that will work best with your lifestyle and go for it. I really think trying to eat veg and fruit would help you. The suggestion about adding one food a week is good.

But ultimately, the only person who can do this and make the change is you.

Sent from my LG-LU3700 using MiniMins

I don't agree with that at all. It's not a FACT that I don't want to change my eating habits at all, if that were the case then I wouldn't constantly stock my fridge up with fruits and veggies, fresh poultry and fish, and try various ways of cooking & eating them just to help me to like them. To the extent that I blended up a load of veggies to the consistency of baby food just to try and get myself to eat them, thinking that maybe it was just the texture of them that I didn't like, but it's the flavour too.

Admittedly I haven't tried ALL the fruits & vegetables out there, I doubt many people have, and I really do wish that I just loved them all because it'd make my life SO much easier if I did. Everytime I do the food shop, I go through the fruit & veggies aisle and just want to fill my trolley with them all. I'd so much rather eat colourful fresh food than beige processed crap!

I don't think it's fair for people who don't know me to assume they know what I think and feel regarding food, a healthy lifestyle and dieting. I haven't always been overweight, for an awfully long time I was a small size 8 and 9.7 stone, I ate as healthily as possible and exercised regularly. I HAD a healthy lifestyle, so it's unfair for any of you to say that I want a 'quickfix' and aren't in this for the long run...

After having my son a year ago things changed, I started working full time when he was 4 months old, and with juggling a full time job, being up all hours through the night with my baby and then being a mum all the hours inbetween, I was just too tired for exercise or the gym. I actually managed to get back down to pre-pregnancy weight of 9.7 stone only four months after my son was born, but then after I started work I became so tired and worn out that the last thing I wanted was to exercise & when I got home from work after doing the housework & looking after my son I'd turn to something quick for food because I just didn't have the energy to prepare or cook fresh healthy food, and that's why I'm in this mess of being 5 stone overweight.

My son is just over 1 year old now, and I've adjusted to the pattern of working full time & being a mum & a girlfriend & looking after the house, so now I have the time and energy to fit in hours at the gym - which I do - and I have the time to prepare and cook healthy food. I tried slimming world not long back, knowing that it's based upon healthy eating, changing habits with food and creating a new healthy lifestyle - which IS what I want. I want a healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life, I want my son to be healthy and active & never have to go through being overweight and battling with diets etc.

I'm fully aware that this isn't just about dieting, and isn't a quick fix or something I can do for six months and then fall back into my unhealthy eating habits. I have been trying and will keep trying different veggies and ways of eating them to help myself adapt and get used to the flavours and textures and hopefully within time learn to love them. I make sure now that my son eats plenty of fruits and vegetables, so that from an early age he likes them and understands that they're a part of his daily food.

I've chosen to follow slim and save for a little while, not for a quick fix, but only because I have 5 stone to lose, and I am an impatient person who loses determination if I don't see quick results to spur me on. So for as long as I can manage I'll be following slim and save, on 3 packs a day with the 100g of white meat or fish and 200g of VEGETABLES. I'm hoping that by taking food out of the equation for a while, that I can adjust to living without all the crap I've become accustomed to.

Once I'm down to goal, I'll be following the refeed programme that slim and save suggest, which includes fruits and vegetables, lean protein and fat free dairy. And then I'll be maintaining either with skimming world or calorie counting - as long as its a healthy plan that incorporates a healthy lifestyle and keeps the weight off me.

laurenmay said:
I don't agree with that at all. It's not a FACT that I don't want to change my eating habits at all, if that were the case then I wouldn't constantly stock my fridge up with fruits and veggies, fresh poultry and fish, and try various ways of cooking & eating them just to help me to like them. To the extent that I blended up a load of veggies to the consistency of baby food just to try and get myself to eat them, thinking that maybe it was just the texture of them that I didn't like, but it's the flavour too.

Admittedly I haven't tried ALL the fruits & vegetables out there, I doubt many people have, and I really do wish that I just loved them all because it'd make my life SO much easier if I did. Everytime I do the food shop, I go through the fruit & veggies aisle and just want to fill my trolley with them all. I'd so much rather eat colourful fresh food than beige processed crap!

I don't think it's fair for people who don't know me to assume they know what I think and feel regarding food, a healthy lifestyle and dieting. I haven't always been overweight, for an awfully long time I was a small size 8 and 9.7 stone, I ate as healthily as possible and exercised regularly. I HAD a healthy lifestyle, so it's unfair for any of you to say that I want a 'quickfix' and aren't in this for the long run...

After having my son a year ago things changed, I started working full time when he was 4 months old, and with juggling a full time job, being up all hours through the night with my baby and then being a mum all the hours inbetween, I was just too tired for exercise or the gym. I actually managed to get back down to pre-pregnancy weight of 9.7 stone only four months after my son was born, but then after I started work I became so tired and worn out that the last thing I wanted was to exercise & when I got home from work after doing the housework & looking after my son I'd turn to something quick for food because I just didn't have the energy to prepare or cook fresh healthy food, and that's why I'm in this mess of being 5 stone overweight.

My son is just over 1 year old now, and I've adjusted to the pattern of working full time & being a mum & a girlfriend & looking after the house, so now I have the time and energy to fit in hours at the gym - which I do - and I have the time to prepare and cook healthy food. I tried slimming world not long back, knowing that it's based upon healthy eating, changing habits with food and creating a new healthy lifestyle - which IS what I want. I want a healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life, I want my son to be healthy and active & never have to go through being overweight and battling with diets etc.

I'm fully aware that this isn't just about dieting, and isn't a quick fix or something I can do for six months and then fall back into my unhealthy eating habits. I have been trying and will keep trying different veggies and ways of eating them to help myself adapt and get used to the flavours and textures and hopefully within time learn to love them. I make sure now that my son eats plenty of fruits and vegetables, so that from an early age he likes them and understands that they're a part of his daily food.

I've chosen to follow slim and save for a little while, not for a quick fix, but only because I have 5 stone to lose, and I am an impatient person who loses determination if I don't see quick results to spur me on. So for as long as I can manage I'll be following slim and save, on 3 packs a day with the 100g of white meat or fish and 200g of VEGETABLES. I'm hoping that by taking food out of the equation for a while, that I can adjust to living without all the crap I've become accustomed to.

Once I'm down to goal, I'll be following the refeed programme that slim and save suggest, which includes fruits and vegetables, lean protein and fat free dairy. And then I'll be maintaining either with skimming world or calorie counting - as long as its a healthy plan that incorporates a healthy lifestyle and keeps the weight off me.

I only made those points because that's the impression your intial post gave me. By switching from diet to diet and by stating that you dislike veg/you would prefer to eat chocolate etc, it gave me the impression of someone looking for a quick fix. I wasn't being judgemental, I was just trying to make the point that you might not have been in the right frame of mind yet to embark on the weightloss journey since you seemed so undecided about everything . You sound entirely different in your other post- very determined.

Kudos for you for trying all the vegetables and deciding to to stick with Slim and Save. I hope it works out well for you.

Sent from my LG-LU3700 using MiniMins

The problem is also that if you don't like good food now, what's going to make you like them when you've lost 5 stone - which is no mean feat in itself? Faery has made a few points that you should really consider. I think you need to look deeply inside yourself because you're coming up with a lot of excuses to not diet!

Patchninja said:
The problem is also that if you don't like good food now, what's going to make you like them when you've lost 5 stone - which is no mean feat in itself? Faery has made a few points that you should really consider. I think you need to look deeply inside yourself because you're coming up with a lot of excuses to not diet!

Did you not read my whole post..? Slim and save incorporates veggies into the plan, which I'll force myself to eat and like I said hopefully over time I'll adjust and learn to like them. And do tell me how I'm making 'excuses' not to diet when I've ordered £130 worth of slim and save products that will be here later today for me to start tomorrow?

I don't think anyone's judging you here, people are only responding to what you've written.
You said you didn't like vegetables and couldn't stick to a diet so you've been offered advice which you seem to have taken as an attack.
I don't think there was any need to get so defensive when people were trying to help you.
Good luck with slim and save.

What happened to SW laurenmay, I thought you were going to give that a try!!

I am also a fussy eater, and I REALLY struggled with healthy choices but what I have learnt is that repetition works for me, I have like 5 or 6 variations on chicken or lean bacon cooked in different ways with different types of potato/rice/pitta with basic salad like lettuce, cucumber and cabbage and i literally stick to this. I know this may sound really boring but honestly, you can make chicken in so may ways, have you tried the SW chicken nuggets? they are awesome, and if you make a good amount they are really filling too!

If you google diets they will come up with the pros and cons of each one.

I used to 'try' dieting and quit when I didn't lose weight. I would calorie count but I went about it the wrong way missing breakfast and dinner so I could spend my calories on pizza. I know realise how stupid that was. I have been on slimming world 11 weeks and have lost 2 stone already. Like you, I set myself a 5stone target and like you I haven't always been this big (I was a size 12 6 years ago). As someone else has said its about changing your relationship with food. Measuring my syns on slimming world has made me realise how much of an over eater I actually was and I enjoy food optimising now. I do, however, like vegetables and fruit which has made it easier. As someone else suggested try putting your veg in a curry or a bolognase or something.

Good luck with the slim and save!

laurenmay said:
I'm getting so frustrated with the fact that I just don't know what diet to go with.. The past few months I've tried Cambridge, slim and save, WW, SW, calorie counting and JUDDD.. and I haven't given any of them a real chance to work in all honesty, after a day I start doubting them & end up giving up and binging until I discover the next diet I want to try.

I just NEED something, that I know works, has good weight and fat loss results, that I can exercise with because I enjoy the gym and don't wanna give it up, and that is healthy in the long run and sustainable so I can live a slimmer and happier life.. so why is that so hard to find? & why can't I give any of the diets I've tried a chance to prove themselves?

I'm a really fussy eater, which tends to get in the way of eating healthily and dieting - I don't like veggies, I don't like most fruit and the ones I do like tend to be the ones with the most sugar such as apples and grapes. I'm not a big meat eater, chicken is pretty much the only meat I enjoy but I've eaten so much that I'm starting to get sick of it. I don't like the clean & whole foods that are meant to be the best for us.. when I count calories my day usually consists of things like snack a jacks, cereal bars and muller lights.

I have a really bad sweet tooth, if I could consume nothing but chocolate, cheesecake and doughnuts all day then I would!

I need some advice, I have four stone to lose and with each day that I'm fussing around trying to find something I think will be sustainable for me I'm gaining more & more weight :(

If you do want to get started on weight loss, I wouldn't worry too much at the outset about eating "clean". Eat ready meals, cereal bars, yogurts, snack-a-jacks etc., if that's what will enable you to stick with it, but count the calories. That's what I did to begin with, then I did start to introduce healthier things as I went along, as others have suggested in this thread. You've got to make it sustainable for YOU. It's perfectly possible to lose weight without eating healthily, it's just not good for you in the long term, which is why I do now sometimes eat fruit instead of a cereal bar, or a handful of almonds instead of low fat crisps, but I haven't always done that, it's been gradual. My weight loss is now at 5.5 stone, and continuing, so it's worked for me.

Good luck. xx

I heard through the grapevine about a website that offered a free weight loss guide that had been thoroughly researched by looking at scientific work. If you google 'Chunky Piranha' it's the first result that comes up and I found it really useful. It doesn't give you a specific diet plan to follow but rather tips and advice to assist weight loss. I think the site is run on a voluntary basis and it said that they'll be releasing more guides in the future.

Hope this helps :)

I just had a look at 'chunky piranha' it's quite an easy read ..... Explains things nice and simply ...... Thanks for that! X

Hi there! Just want to add, I did lipotrim after havin my son as I gained nearly 4 stone through pregnancy :O
I lost 2.5 stone but put it all back on within weeks as I only like processed food, I ate nothing fresh, I didn't like it whatsoever!

Anyway 3 years on I decided enough is enough, I slowly started introducing salads and trying different dressings, even sauces that arnt made for salads, anythin to get them down me and eventually it worked! I also only seem to like sweet fruit but I eat it anyway, just so I know I'm havin fruit lol

I found stir fry a great way to get veg down me too!

Uve probably already tried the sauce idea but if u havnt, try it, it may help :)

Good luck with s&s, I lost 3.5 stone on it, absolutely loved it! After s&s if u still feel the same I would say to still eat the foods you like, but have smaller portions and count the cals, it will come off but u will have to accept it could take a little longer but try to stick with it, I understand ur frustration, I am also very impatient ;) I'm in the same boat at the moment, only I'm giving the diets chance and they still arnt bloody working lol

Good luck xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Last edited:
Back