This story makes me so sad..

Whether shes been on an extreme diet or not, unless you're personally in the right mind set, you have 100% motivation to change your life and fight with every ounce of strength in your body to change yourself, you're not physically going to be able to see anything through to the end. I don't blame her for not having the motivation or courage, if i had blown up to 60 stone, i doubt i'd have any fight left in me to change or turn my life around, luckily i didn't let myself get to that point.
In situations like this, my personal opinion is that the mother should take control, call the shots, make the right choices in what shes feeding her child.. Her daughter is bed bound and unable to cook/shop for herself, so in this instance it would be only natural for the mother to take sole charge and think 'right im going to get my daughter healthy because shes got to this point now and i can't sit and watch her get any worse'

It's ridiculous that the law can't intervene. If she was anorexic and starving herself shed be hospitalised but the fact she's overweight despite the fact she's heading for the same end result nothing is done. But then I suppose the problem is if she's not interested in helping herself shell go back to her current eating habits as soon as she's home again

I have to say, when I saw the documentary about her I did think that her mother had a lot to answer for. She did nothing to help and must have been over feeding her as a young child. It is abuse and I think that action should be taken against parents who allow their children to become morbidly obese.
I can't imagine how she must feel - she is very young and 19year olds are barely adults and very sensitive. I lived independently at 19 but was a complete idiot and just fortunate that I didn't have Georgia's problem.
I guess she should take responsibility but it will be very hard to come back from 60 stones.

Unfortunately her father died when she was young. Her mother is ill - heart disease and arthritis I think - the heart problem is serious. Poor Georgia is registered as their official carer! Social Services wanted to take her into care when she was 13 but she threatened to harm herself if they took her away from her family. She is fiercely protective of her mum and stepdad.

If I were lying in a bed all day, isolated, worried sick about two ill adults who need care and were now having to care for ME - and if I were, on top of all this, around 60st in weight, in failing health and very depressed and scared - then I tell you now, I would not be able to stick to ANY diet, far less an 'extreme' one, for even a day.

Food is all this girl has in life! Her friend and her most bitter enemy. She needs hospital care to treat her organ failure (think how ill she must have felt for a long time now), and to help get her weight down, and to treat her depression AND she needs a decent care package put in place for Mum and Stepdad IF they need it. To expect any teen to care for two sick adults is disgusting, whether she is willing to, or not. A teen in Georgia's state of health should never have been entrusted with this task. No doubt the family will now be investigated over Georgia being paid carer's allowance whilst, in fact, THEY were forced to care for her. I can just imagine the level of care she was receiving in that house.

I read earlier that, yes indeed, suggestions have been put forward for WLS. And where is she to go to convalesce in safety? Where she will be looked after and monitored? Where the right type of food etc will be provided? Not at home, it would seem. There was an actual statement from an NHS guy saying that WLS was the most 'cost effective' way to deal with problems like Georgia's.... Well, there ya go. Cost-effective for the NHS, yes. Quality of care and the very best solution for Georgia? Probably too expensive.

I pray she responds well to treatment, and that someone keeps her out of that house until she is strong again. She will want to go back, as this is the only home and security she knows. They need to at least put in a care package for the adults so Georgia only has to look after herself. Will make a change! God bless her.

Back