Those with small children -potty training

big bear

A bear on a mission!
Ok my son is nearly 19mths but he comes & tells me when his nappy is full of wee and also when he's done a poo. Does this mean starting potty training or is it too soon?

Sorry he's my first so not sure what to do.

Yeah, you can certainly start now. If he knows that he has done it, then he can be encouraged to tell you before he does it, and you can pop him on the potty. I recommend a nice distractionary toy to help him sit still on it.

My three have all been ready at different times. My son was 2 1/2, my eldest daughter was about 18 months, and the youngest was 3 1/2!!!! She was just scared of it, I think.

Good luck!

I waitied until my dd was able to communicate - so like what your son's doing. I also used to sit her on the potty before bathtime for a week or so before actually getting cracking with training full on.

There are a few things, like making sure they understand, can comminicate & are able to help pull their own pants up/down.

I also made sure she understood about her "Big Girl Knickers" - so she wanted to be grown up like mummy :)

At first (like a couple of days) i would prompt her & ask if she needed a wee wee atc but then its really important that they learn for themselves when they need to go - so no more asking/ prompting all the time.

You can always give it a go - if after a few days its accident city, then go back to nappies & don't mention the potty for a while until you think he would be ready.

I was lucky - my dd got it straight away - only ever had one small accident where she also managed to stop herself weeing till she was on the potty - which was a good sign she had bladder control. But then she was older than your son, she was just over 2.

Good luck!!

Maybe if I wait until I go on maternity leave at the end of the month so that I've got the actual time to be there all day with him.

The other thing I've a problem with is him spoon feeding himself. He can eat things like chips (sw of course) and things in pieces as he uses his fork to 'stab' them but not messy things with a spoon. I need to have the time to let him sit in his chair and make a mess when he learns this.

My daughter is 2 and always insists on sitting on the toilet when I go.....lol....she has only ever been once, we have a potty downstairs and she will sit on it but nothing.......she is always taking her nappy off (usually after a wee).....loves running round naked

My daughter is 2 and always insists on sitting on the toilet when I go.....lol....she has only ever been once, we have a potty downstairs and she will sit on it but nothing.......she is always taking her nappy off (usually after a wee).....loves running round naked

Like mother like daughter :8855:

Maybe if I wait until I go on maternity leave at the end of the month so that I've got the actual time to be there all day with him.

The other thing I've a problem with is him spoon feeding himself. He can eat things like chips (sw of course) and things in pieces as he uses his fork to 'stab' them but not messy things with a spoon. I need to have the time to let him sit in his chair and make a mess when he learns this.

How long till your babies due?? Maybe you would be better waiting till after the baby is born. They do say that when new babies are born, its maybe not the best time to try & potty train.

Is your son in childcare now then? What does his childminder/nursery worker say, have they said they think he's ready?

How long till your babies due?? Maybe you would be better waiting till after the baby is born. They do say that when new babies are born, its maybe not the best time to try & potty train.

Is your son in childcare now then? What does his childminder/nursery worker say, have they said they think he's ready?

The baby is due 16th October. I work part time so he goes to grand parrents & I'm not having the female dog of a MIL training him....

I might just wait till after the baby then.

I dont have kids but my personal opinion through expierance is that he's ready, but you need the time and energy to devote to him so its an easy transition, its a big step.

If hes already communicating when its full, he can learn very easily now to tell you when he's ready.

x

I would start now, and then by the time new bubba comes along he will be on his way to 'big boy' land but you may find that because the new baby will be in nappies, he may start clinging on to his nappy, because he wants what the little one wants. You may need to start really reinforcing him then with the 'big boy pants' and make sure he knows he is 'the big brother 'and he will need a lot of praise. Encourage him to go to the big toilet wit yoru OH, and he can see whats going in there. Put a potty in the bathroom so he can associate the bathroom with a wee, and maybe his own special 'kiddies toilet roll' (if you can afford it), just reinforces how much of a special time it is for HIM.

With the food, just let him rip with it. Kids seat, spoon, pot of food, go go go. He'll know where to put it, if you think he's not getting all benefits of it cos it ends up everywhere then give him finger foods too make sure he's full.

Have you got a HV? xxx

No HV, he eats loads of finger foods & is half way to feeding himself.
I start mat leave at end of month so will wait till then so I'm home all day to inforce it. Granparents r funny about mess...

Back