Thoughts on maintaining three months on...

And it won't be long!! :D;) xx

Thats just it - im not sure i could handle having to lower my chicken portion but i will give it a go when i next have it :) See how hungry i end up feeling.

Molly - is quinoa like rice? Could you have that with a bean chilli as a substitute to rice? If not im not bothered im quite happy with just a bowl of bean chilli etc :)

Yep, you can use quinoa in place of rice, couscous, potato or pasta. It is very versatile. As a side dish 40g dry weight is a fine portion. As a main dish, that is no other protein on the plate, just green veg then you can have 75 g dry weight.
My top tip is to cook up three portions at once and keep them in the fridge. It will keep for 3 or 4 days. For example, I was home late tonight and was starving and could have eaten anything in sight! But I had a portion of Quinoa in the fridge, so I had it with a chopped tomato, beetroot, 60g smoked salmon, chopped celery and a teaspoon mayo. After that I had 150 g blueberries and a coffee. I'm full as a tick!!

Where an earth do I find quinoa in the supermarket? Searched all round the pastas and lentils couldn't see it anywhere!!!!

Oh sweetie! should have said! Usually only in the health food shops. When you ask for it, it is pronounced keenwa. I think Tesco may do their own version of it but I have not seen it here in Ireland yet.
Give it a go once anyway. I just loved, loved loved potato/pasta and rice dishes but I now use quinoa for most everything unless I am having a lentil or bean dish.
You may try it and say "what was that silly Irish twit on about!!!!" But as I say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I now cook two dinners in the evening one for my OH with baked pot or chips and my own dinner. IT does not bother me not to have the starchy carbs anymore.

Thanks chick. I will have another look on monday as im going to Asda instead of sainsburys and if i can't find it will have to venture to a health shop. I'm intrigued to try it. Does it have the texture of rice? Whats the flavour like?

It might be in a box
fairtrade_quinoa_1.jpg

or a bag
quinoa.jpg
.... not to scale :p xx

Haha ya know what I might have seen it then judging by them pics but I thought it was popcorn!!!! :giggle:

It will have the texture of rice but a slightly more nutty flavour. It may take a couple of attempts at cooking to get it right. My first time, I cooked it for about 20 mins and it went to mush and was too wet. Second time too dry and stuck to the bottom of the pot!!! I now put in twice the volume of water and bring it to the boil, turn it down to simmer for about 10 mins until water is absorbed and watch it. You can always add a little extra water from a boiled kettle if water is boiling off too quickly. Then take off the heat and leave it in the pot as it will continue to cook out.
I sometimes add a 1/4 stock cube and a few chilli flakes to it, just for a change.

It will have the texture of rice but a slightly more nutty flavour. It may take a couple of attempts at cooking to get it right. My first time, I cooked it for about 20 mins and it went to mush and was too wet. Second time too dry and stuck to the bottom of the pot!!! I now put in twice the volume of water and bring it to the boil, turn it down to simmer for about 10 mins until water is absorbed and watch it. You can always add a little extra water from a boiled kettle if water is boiling off too quickly. Then take off the heat and leave it in the pot as it will continue to cook out.
I sometimes add a 1/4 stock cube and a few chilli flakes to it, just for a change.

Sounds good - can't wait to try it now! :giggle:

What makes it so different to rice then? Like whats better about quinoa compared to rice?

Sorry for the million questions :eek:

Here is a link to quinoa versus rice
Battle of the Grains - Brown Rice VS Quinoa | Quinoa Health Tips
From a GL point of view, you are supposed to eat foods that keep your blood sugars on an even keel. Very starchy carbs such as wheat, root veg etc will make you feel full quickly but you will then start to feel hungry a short time later. More GL friendly foods like oats, pulses, quinoa, leafy veg, berries will keep you feeling just full enough and for longer.
Hope this makes a bit of sense

IrisMolly you are the GI Queen :)
I love quinoa......used to use it a lot but havent done for a long time so you have got me wanting it now!!!!

Yep, tonight I had it with 100g prawns, pepper,green beans and celery. Fresh cherries and yoghurt for afters. All very yum. I just find it keeps me full for longer.

Thanks Molly, will have a read in a bit :) x

Yeah - I'm up for trying it again now too :D - I think I've got a box somewhere, my attempts at cooking it in the past haven't gone too well so I'll do what you say Irish & try that ;) x

Back