Thyroid.....so fed up and frustrated!!

Fluffysheep81

I'm soooo fed up right now! Last year I put on about 2-3 stone in around 3-5 months when I wasn't eating any differently! It was only when the Dr weighed me and told me it wasn't normal and referred me for bloods did I find out my thyroid wasn't working properly! However it wasn't low enough for treatment, and seemed to fix itself. Now it's gone under again and I need more blood tests but already I'm putting weight on!!! Its so bloody unfair!! I've worked hard for my - now 22lb loss and it seems my stupid body is going to undo all my effort!! It's so frustrating!!

Hi Fluffy, What a shame! I know how you feel as I too put on about 2stone in just a few months before I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid. Does make you feel really tired and awful all the time as well. That was a few years ago for me and have since done quite well on the weight loss but it does slow things down a tad!

Hope you soon get it sorted... and don't worry, it can be overcome one way or another.

All the very best to you....:)

Thanks emmaline,

It's good to know I'm not alone but it's a kick in the teeth! I've put 6lb on in 2 weeks and I'm dreading the wait for more tests.....frustrating as if I'm not low enough again I'll have the symptoms but no treatment :(

Kind of bitter sweet really as I don't want to have the problem at all but if it's low I want it low enough for it to be fixed if that makes sense

X

Certainly do know what you mean! Bless you....:) ... Nothing more aggravating and depressing to have to keep waiting.

Have been waiting for quite a while now for a scan and injection in my shoulder to relieve my pain. Could really do with it in both shoulders but they will only do one at a time!
Have my appointment at last for 29th of this month ... Hoo - flippin - ray!...:D

I'm going to sound really ignorant here :eek: but if you still eat the same on plan how does an under active thyroid make you put on weight? :)

I'm going to sound really ignorant here :eek: but if you still eat the same on plan how does an under active thyroid make you put on weight? :)

I believe it slows your metabolism significantly.

sheepy19 said:
I find out myself next friday if mine is underactive. Had a test a month ago and I was on the cusp of having thyroxine, but they're double checking. So just gotta wait and see. Good luck :)

Good luck sheepy!!

It can take a few months for the treatment to kick in properly as it can take a while to get the dosage right, the most frustrating part is waiting until your low enough to get the treatment. I spoke to my Gp the other day an he said the diagnosis level is 11 for one hormone and mine is 12!! It is a gradual thing and mine will go under which is why part of me wants it to hurry up so that I can get it sorted (as at the moment I'm still getting the symptoms Ie weight gain when it's not my fault and very tired) yet I don't really want tablets for the rest of my life at 30!

I have an underactive thyroid and am so frustrated trying to lose weight! I am on an everlasting diet but never lose much weight. Just had a baby in feb and joined Weight Watchers only lost 6 pounds in 3 months. Joined Slimming World last week and only lost 1 1/2 pounds in the first week :( really thought it'd be more.

Hi Everyone!

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid at the age of 17. I was 17st 4lbs and a size 22-24 when I got diagnosed and I lost 7st after beginning my treatment 11 years ago. I put around 2st back on over the last 2 years so started SW in January and I'm now 22lbs lighter and a size 10. What worked for me was that I didn't weigh myself every week all I did was follow the plan 100% around 99% of the time and it came off gradually. I knew my weight would be up & down at times so by not weighing in every week I didn't get disheartened and if I cheated then I would be kidding myself so I trusted the plan, didn't stress too much and just got on with it and it's working. Good luck on your journeys everyone. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi Fluffysheep

I know how you are feeling. I had all the symptoms of an underactive thyroid my blood tests came back as within range but borderline. My dr wasn't sure if i should be on medication but i was lucky and she refered me to an endocrinologist. He also said i was boarderline and gave me a prescription of eltroxin 50mg. If your new blood tests come back near the limit ask to be refered.

Just remember the tablets are not a quick fix, i've been on mine now for 2 years and i still suffer some symtoms but on the whole i'm much better (apart from the weight).

I have recently been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and prescribed thyroxin. At one time doctors wouldn't prescribe unless the blood tests showed it was underactive, but the ruling now is that you should have thyroxin even if you are only borderline providing you also have symptoms. You still tend to lose weight slower, but at least thyroxin will help you feel a little better.

Good luck sheepy!!

It can take a few months for the treatment to kick in properly as it can take a while to get the dosage right, the most frustrating part is waiting until your low enough to get the treatment. I spoke to my Gp the other day an he said the diagnosis level is 11 for one hormone and mine is 12!! It is a gradual thing and mine will go under which is why part of me wants it to hurry up so that I can get it sorted (as at the moment I'm still getting the symptoms Ie weight gain when it's not my fault and very tired) yet I don't really want tablets for the rest of my life at 30!

Thyroid function came back even lower, so Ive now started on thyroxine. My dr said I should really start to feel better in the next few weeks with more energy and my weight loss should go up :) fingers crossed! i'm fed up with being fat and having no energy :(

Back